Rising Utility Costs

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Diane Lane, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When the rate of electricity goes up, when the cost of water rises up, the consumers are at the mercy of those companies. It's good that some media people are making their protest thru radio and newspaper columns. At least the utility companies are being extra careful because they sometimes end up the loser.

There was this increased electric rates some 5 years ago that one radio commentator was protesting against. The commentator is an investigative journalist who did his homework to uncover that the electric company owes the consumer a rebate in billions of pesos. It is incredible but the electric company had to pay that rebate in installments. At least it's not a one way affair. With the water, the same radio commentator is investigating the water distributor's contract with the government why their income tax has to be paid by the consumers. It looks like there another rebate in the offing.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I try to be very frugal with the electricity. However, it is harder to be a tightwad with water. I have a family of 2 and am paying almost half of what I pay in electricity costs. I don't even water my yard.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My City of Fresno Bill includes sewer, water and garbage. It used to be a set fee but since the drought, water is metered. I live alone and usually am gone at least 10 days every month. Sometimes I don't even put any garbage cans out and it makes me angry that I pay the same for garbage and sewer as someone with 5 people in their house. It's the sprinkler system that hikes up my water and even with it being allowed only 2 days a week I see an increase in my water portion of the bill.

I just paid my bill Saturday and it was $80.56 for a month. I should get a discount for not putting garbage out every time but that's not how it works. :(

My gas and electric bill will be high next month since it's A/C time.