Robots?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Will Lawrence, Nov 27, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Try this:
    -Go to something you've posted on Facebook (or on any other forum)
    --Choose something that's been there a while...these things are not instantaneous
    -Copy a short piece of it (a dozen words or so)...hopefully something relatively unique
    -Paste it into a search engine
    -See what results you get

Your words on a forum are no different than the content of any other website...it's just that the other website stuff is put on the web by somebody else.

edit to add: I just tried it with extracts from some of your January posts on this forum, and did not get any results that were from your comments. Perhaps they were not unique enough. Perhaps they were not old enough.

pps: Thanks for giving me Like #25,000!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Tom Galty and Richard Whiting like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We have 125 Facebook spiders here right now, which is very odd. Usually, Facebook only sends a few spiders here when someone links to one of our threads from Facebook. I assume they spider the linked thread to determine whether to block the link or warn someone for linking to something that violates their community guidelines. But 125 spiders at the same time?

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So out of those 140 Robots, 125 are Facebook spiders? Or are they embedded in the Guest numbers? I assume the ability to see whose spiders they are is an Admin function.

Now I wonder what someone here has said that's so interesting it got linked to Facebook...and who linked it.

4. Ken Anderson

No, they are under Robots, where Google, Bing, Yandex, and the Chinese search engine robots are. Facebook spiders normally only go to the page that was linked to. Today, there are everywhere.

5. Ken Anderson

Maybe Facebook has simply changed its policies regarding Facebook spiders (robots) because they're all over the forum today, too. They used to come only in response to a link to our forum from Facebook. Whenever I posted a link to a forum thread from Facebook, I could come and find three or four Facebook spiders here, but only in the thread that I had linked to.

John Brunner likes this.