Rodeo Debates

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

A bobble head of Bob, wow. I knew Bob for many years and was on his rodeo stock ranch in Eastern Oregon more than once. He had his famous bull in the corral right across from his house. I was friends with his sister Maryanne and used to frequent her Western Store. That was the late 80s and early 90s. Also Rob Smets the famous rodeo clown/bullfighter was around the area then. I enjoyed chatting with him as he was witty and had a great personality. He had a small ranch also just off the freeway. They should make a bobble head of Rob. :)

I was at several rodeos where there were several now Hall of Famers. One I remember well was Bob Tallman ( inducted 2017) announcing, Rob Smets (inducted 2017) bullfighter, Dee Pickett (inducted 2003) and Mike Beers (inducted 2017) ropers, and Ty Murry (inducted 2018) riding bulls.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We were at the Hall when Dee Pickett went in. We met Mike Beers at the old Wrangler Winter Series Finals, that was also part of Copenhagen/Skoal, in Las Vegas at the MGM. I think I'm right about this? But, do remember this Finals was in a summer month. We remember driving by the parking lot and seeing Charmayne James preparing for the rodeo. That was where we spent our Honeymoon after getting married the previous March (2001). We didn't have tickets to the rodeo, until we went to Circus-Circus and I won $200 on a slot machine. We got to go to that rodeo twice from my winnings. Funny, but as the rodeo started, the big screen lite up showing the different events and playing Walk This Way by Aerosmith.

Bob Tallman, Randy Corley and (now deceased) Hadley Barrett are legends in the rodeo announcing industry. I remember watching Hadley announce (on a sports network) the Timed-Event Championship at the Lazy "E" Arena in Guthrie, Oklahoma. That is now called The Iron Man Championship.

Ken Anderson likes this.