Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Breakaway roping was my favorite. Not all ropes, methods of holding, and swinging are the same. I preferred a soft scant 3/8" rope with a 24' length. Rather than hold coils in my hand, I use the method shown here.
    CBMmFti0dQSn.jpg

My more closed-loop had to be cast more accurately, but it aided in the speed of delivery and less slack requiring no jerk back for breakaway roping. The softer rope allows for a slower swing.
    loop.jpg
    It also required quickly riding up on the calf which meant time could be lost if I didn't react the minute the barrier was removed. Jumping the gun so to speak to save time is called breaking the barrier and is a disqualification. Breakaway roping is called such because the end of the rope is tied by an easy-to-break string so when the calf or steer runs the rope taut, it breaks loose from the saddle. The time of the run is from when the barrier is removed to when the string breaks. Once the loop is delivered, a rider must bring their horse to a halt. The faster the string breaks the better. My favorite thing to watch is the women's breakaway roping. I hope my explanation here into the depth of the art, spurs (no cowboy pun intended) your interest to give it a watch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, today, ranch folks have their own rodeo association called WRCA (Working Ranch Cowboy's Association) that have somewhat different events, as in Wild Cow Milking, that PRCA doesn't have. Wife and I went to a WRCA rodeo in Colorado Springs some years go. We did see some events that were not in a PRCA sanctioned rodeo.

One thing I have to admit about my days in rodeo, I loved the attention I got. Having mine, and my "heelers" name announced over the PA System by a rodeo announcer was really cool. I remember when we were at the Forum Championship Rodeo in Los Angeles and a local Sports Network covered the rodeo. We got to be on tv, and again, very cool. We didn't earn much money, but then again, we both had full-time jobs during the week.

Full-time PRCA rodeo can be a hard way to make a living, unless a person gets some major sponsors to help cover some expenses. Driving, more driving and even more driving.

While in Vegas this last time, I did see some "Old Timers" of rodeo. It was nice to see them there.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

and here we go again
    R.jpg

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Today, there is some differences going on between Breakaway Ropers and Barrel Racers. Breakaway doesn't get the money that Barrels do and Jimmie Munroe (WPRA President) is trying to change that, but. Breakaway ladies say they travel just as much as Barrel ladies do, so there should be equal prize money, but. Even though PRCA has approved Breakaway at there rodeos, not all rodeo committees allow it.

Of course, Faye, when you done it, some things were different in Breakaway, then they are today. Just like when I Team Roped. Back then, there weren't different colors of "heading" and "healing" ropes like today.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, your point, Faye? Like I'm always wrong and your always right. Sorry, lady, just isn't going to happen!:D Share the thread with me, not against me!

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It has nothing to do with who is right or who is wrong! NOTHING!!!! I don't know where you conjured up that foolishness from my informative post. Humility is the word. We all know what you done and how you loved the attention. You have told us repeatedly. I was hoping for a more in-depth post from you about your experiences as a PRO team roper. Tell the forum something and maybe include some photos to make your point. How you chose your rope and why and things like that to make this thread something special compiled by us seniors.

Maybe Tex and others will join in with an interesting post. No one cares to participate on this thread if it is just the same old repetitious post and you having to best me and others and trying to impress us with your name dropping. I am not picking on you just suggesting as Ken has so many times asked of all of us and that is to contribute something special, part with some of your knowledge of 15 years a rodeo arena roper. Spare us the brag and give us some facts. Photos of you in action would be nice and a great addition to this thread. As they say in today's modern rodeo, Cowboy Up!

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe make another public post to Ken whining about how Faye is arguing with you. I saw all the support you got on this thread after your personal attack on me, so I know where I stand on this thread and forum and it isn't one of appreciation. Being here since the beginning in 2005 and making repetitious posts of brags void of interesting information is much more important than a quality post from the likes of me that joined in 2019. I should have left this thread yesterday after your preschool like whining to Ken.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Faye. First, the only photos that were ever taken of me and my "heeler" roping was taken by PRCA Photographer Sandy Wares. He died in 2005 at age 82. We never bought any from him and didn't know anyone with a camera. So, no pictures! Sorry.

In the beginning, wanted to be a saddle bronc rider, until a saddle bronc rider I met at a rodeo, invited me to house. He had an old Rattler "heading" rope, showed me how to form a loop and swing it. IOW, my first "ground" roping lesson. After he showed me, I had no trouble forming a loop and swinging it correctly. He was pretty amazed. He told me right away, "become a roper and save your body".

So, first came the equipment: new Rattler "heading" rope, off-brand roping saddle/tack (bought at local Horse/Tack Auction) and looked for a "rope" horse. Found the horse in Horse Trader Magazine and went to San Bernadino, CA to look at him. At first, he done some "crop-hopping" with me in the saddle, but I calmed him down. Then, I got my Rattler rope, climbed back in the saddle, formed a loop and swung it. He didn't budge! Yep, he was most definitely a "rope" horse and had been roped off of before. He was a gelding, Red Roan, AQHA Registered Quarter Horse. So, I became a member of AQHA. He cost me $600. He trailer loaded nice, went into a roping box and scored very nice.

Next was a weekend Roping School, put on by a PRCA Gold Card Holder (calf roper) that I had met. Jim, and his wife, Connie, were originally from Montana and both had worked a ranch there, before moving to Norco, CA.. He owned a house/arena that he called The Horse Camp. When he wasn't hosting a Roping School, he would have Sunday Roping Jackpots. Unfortunately, he tried to turn Norco into more of a cowboy/ranch community than what it really was..........a plain horse community. But, Norco does host the annual PRCA Norco Mounted Police Rodeo each year, and that rodeo, has a very, very nice total purse and really packs the folks in. Jim used Muley/Mulley (hornless steers) to rope on. "Less maintenance" he told me, but he did have to strap plastic horns on each, so they could be roped.

After his school, and going to some Jackpot Ropings at both Jim's place and in Mira Loma, CA, I found my "heeler". Originally from Ohio. We both bought our PRCA Permit and off we went on weekends.

My next rope was a Classic Gold "heading" Rope, Extra Soft, 3/8 True, 30'. I still have one that I used a lot (hanging on one wall) and another that had only been used a couple of times.

Basically, my roping days ended around 1998. I had lost a job and needed money. Sold "Red", saddle/tack. Kept/paid for my PRCA membership, for a few more years, so could still help stock contractors out at local rodeos. The PRCA judges knew me.

Even though I was with PRCA, I never considered myself a PRO! However, I was a "PRO" in my jobs of Stockroom Supervisor, Purchasing Asst., Materials Coordinator and Inventory Control, that I done during the week.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I messaged Ken, because he pays for this forum and likes to keep it nice/descent, if he can. To a point, I guess we both want to be "know it all" in the world of rodeo. I made no personal attack on you! Just simply ask you to understand me and "try" to be somewhat nice to me. We both know about rodeo. Let's just keep it that way.

And, BTW, I joined this forum in 2015, not 2005. I really don't care about the "Likes" you get or even I get.

Come on now Faye, enough is enough!! Ok? Now, on with this thread. You asked me a question and I fully answered it in my post after your question. That should be good enough.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have NO desire to be anything in the world of rodeo. I am what I am and have nothing to prove or any desire to impress anyone. I simply like to reminisce about family and my life. I make my posts for information and entertainment. Why you took offense to my post this morning about break away roping puzzles me. You are the one that had to disagree. I never said my way was the best, just that is how I did it. I hoped to help this thread grow but my presence on this thread seems to threaten you so I am off of the topic of rodeo on this forum for good. It took me 2 hours to resize photos and make that post this morning. It had nothing to do with you. You want to be the ruler and authority on this thread and forum about rodeo, so go for it. I am off the topic for good as for as SOC.

Al Amoling likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, SOC, "on with the Show!". LOL (again).

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Al, "now, now, now" definitely doesn't pertain to me! I'm a nice member.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ya know, I was actually starting to enjoy the thread and I even learned a bit. Basically it was two people sharing to others what they know and have experienced in the arena of Rodeo.
    Then, for whatever reason we have the choo-choo bit. Can’t say that I’ve learned nor enjoyed anything at all after that.

Edit: I’ve crossed swords with both Faye and Cody but there’s a difference. Cody has NEVER said anything bad about anyone here or chased someone around just for the sake of criticism nor even tried to hide a curse word much less written one.
    As far as putting likes on either one. When Faye or Cody write good posts, I (and others) put likes on them and it doesn’t make a difference what my personal feelings are about the person.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Bobby Cole and Cody Fousnaugh like this.