Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, Mary, have never been a big fan of bull riding, but most definitely like barrel racing. Actually, follow some of the Top 15 in WPRA. WPRA is the governing power of professional barrel racing. WPRA stands for Womens Professional Rodeo Association. They also govern Breakaway Roping (for women) that is now part of almost every PRCA rodeo.

We went to a rodeo (finals) last night in Greeley, CO. Hadn't been to that rodeo since 2003. When we were there in 2003, there was some ag equipment, as in combines/tractors, food booths and some other booths, but no amusement rides. Boy has it changed today! Big and small rides, no more ag equipment and the population of Greeley has like doubled.

About half way thru the rodeo, the wind came up and blowing pretty hard. We ended up leaving. Just too old to get dust/dirt in our eyes! Couldn't believe all of the young folks outside the arena in the amusement ride area. Just proved to us, that with inner city and even suburban kids, rodeo just isn't their favorite. Long lines at each of the big rides.

We got home, turned on the Cowboy Channel and finished watching the rodeo at home. At least they didn't get a pour-down of rain, like the night before. Anyway, that will be our last time going to the Greeley rodeo.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I kind of wonder how it will go over, here. People whine about the smell in the country from manure spreaders. Fair attendees used to like going to the livestock barns but the smell was often commented on and the animals were cleaner than I am normally.o_O It is July for pete's sake.
    The marquis boasted of a demolition derby too. That has always been a big draw here. Very surprised about the bulls.
    I did not do barrel racing. My last horse liked cutting but we only used his skill to herd an escaped cow, sometimes. I had no skill. He just seemed to know what to do.
    I never really appreciated the fair. Too expensive and noisy lately.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The best horse is a cutting horse in my opinion. Sadly the pro rodeo fans don't appreciate the skills involved in cutting and penning. It takes a smarter horse to know how to work with cattle. A great horse can read the cattle and also the rider with very little rein. I never used a bit, just a halter. I never saw the purpose of barrel racing other than for sport. My favorite thing about our local rodeos is the cowboy breakfast in the park. Being a smooth mouth these days, I opt for biscuits and gravy, with two eggs over medium, doused with ketchup. The rodeo I wanted to go to was earlier this month. It was the big loop rodeo. All ropers have to have at least 20 feet in their loop before they start. Most use 55-foot lariats. It was just too far for me. I can't spend 4 hours in a vehicle traveling over mountain passes and curvy roads. I once roped in that rodeo, but that was 30 years ago.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Faye, we are not only serious PRCA rodeo fans, but love watching cutting, reining and penning. I was at a PRCA rodeo in Santa Barbara, CA years ago, helping the stock contractor (Cotton Rosser's Flying "U" Rodeo Company) and the actress Linda Blair was there doing penning. I was truly shocked at how good she was on a horse.

WPRA Barrel Racers can make a really decent amount of money at the end of the NFR. Charmagne James is the most popular barrel racer there ever was. We have met her a couple of times. On YouTube, there is a video of her showing her trophy buckle and saddle room. What a room!

Now we've gone to one rodeo, last night in Greeley, of which we had to leave due to high wind and dust getting in our eyes. And, we have two more to go to. The one in Colorado Springs this month, which is 120 miles/2 hour drive for us. Renting a car for that weekend. And, just got front-row tickets to our Larimer County Fair PRCA Rodeo next month. It will be Military and First Responders Appreciation Night, of which I've been both. Navy/Vietnam Era and EMT/Los Angeles-Orange County (mid 70's).

The rodeo you were going to go to, was that PRCA or a WRCA rodeo? Because, with PRCA, the "heading" and "heeling" rope lengths are still the same as when I roped. Just different colors now, but the same rope companies make them. I started with a Rattler "heading" rope and later went to a Classic "heading" rope.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Same thing happened in Norco, California when folks were moving up there from Orange and L.A. County. The magazine, Western Horseman, had a nice article about Norco years ago. "Horse Town" they called it. Instead of concrete sidewalks, there was only a dirt riding path on the main street going thru the middle of Norco. A major rodeo took place in Norco, at their equestrian center, each year. Every performance was sold out. Actually, I went to a Roping School in Norco and frequently shopped at a western clothing/tack store there called Norco Ranch Outfitters. Great store!
    Anyway, Then came the "big city" folks, complaining about the smell, the dirt paths and even the yearly rodeo. And, as well as the smell of horses, there were a few dairy farms close by. The horse owners and rodeo committee in Norco went nuts, trying to stop the "intruders" from changing Norco.

Sort of the same thing where we currently live. About 20 miles north of us is Centennial Livestock Auction. If the wind is blowing in the right direction (from the north), we can go outside our apartment and smell the livestock there that is to be sold the following week. We both love the smell, but that's what makes us so, so different than the people that live here.

We will be going to our local county fair next month as well as the PRCA rodeo that will be there. Cost nothing to get into the fair, but the food isn't exactly cheap, but then again, unless a person buys their groceries at a Dollar Store, where is food cheap today? Anyway, we went to this fair last year and had a ball, looking throughout the livestock barns and eating. And, no shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes for us. Our Wrangler jeans, Ariat Lace-Up Hiking Boots and, of course, our Resistol straw hats. And, I was wearing one of my trophy team roping buckles (all shined up).

As far as noise goes, my wife will wear her foam ear plugs and I wear my sound-adjusting hearing aids. Were fine.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Growing up in Indiana (at least until I was 9), I always liked the smell of spread manure...it smells like "home." When I drive through the country, I roll down my windows. But manure is different than the dried stuff from sewage treatment plants they pay people to put on their fields. I have a neighbor who does that. It's his right, but...

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Since we don't have a ranching thread, I will pose this question here since bulls are a part of rodeo.

Is a male Yak considered a wooly bully?

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. John Brunner

I was just reading about that song yesterday.

Let' see...
    -there's Yakety Yak Don't Talk Back
    -then we have Yakety Sax
    -hmmm...don't forget the Swedish nursery rhyme song Yak and Yill by golly

We'll have to channel the spirit of Sam the Sham for this (talk about a brutally honest name.)

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Was watching the Cody Stampede Rodeo, in Cody, Wyoming, last night on the Cowboy Channel. One of the Cowboy Channel cameras scanned over part of the fans in the grandstands. One young lady was wearing a baseball cap that read "Fu** Off" on it. Wife and I were very stunned to see that. Don't know if she was wearing it when she entered the rodeo area or had the hat in her back pocket or whatever. If she was wearing it, she shouldn't have been let into the rodeo grounds at all. If she was allowed to enter wearing it, the Cody Stampede Rodeo Committee should be ashamed of itself!

We have never/ever seen something like this before, being at a rodeo or watching one on tv. I have already sent an e-mail to the Cody Stampede Rodeo stating what was seen. Seriously doubt if anything will be done about it, so............welcome to 2022 and some of today's young people.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I want to know how she knew you'd be watching.

Mary Robi and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

To us, John, there absolutely no joking around about it. Absolutely none!

We don't like the word and never have. Don't think much of anyone who says it, no matter who they are.

And, it definitely doesn't belong in rodeo from either contestants or fans. If a contestant is heard saying it, a fan who knows the contestants name, can report them to the Association and that contestant can be warned, or temporarily suspended, from a PRCA rodeo.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

It really doesn't belong anywhere...at least, not in public.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we got an e-mail from the Cody Stampede Rodeo Committee stating they can't do anything about tv coverage AND they also stated "freedom of speech" for the baseball cap. We watched this rodeo again and didn't see a thing wrong/disgusting about anyone. So, an isolated incident is ok with us.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

In a week and a half, will be the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame Induction Weekend. We will be staying at the same hotel that a number of rodeo fans will be at and a few Hall of Fame Inductees. Formal Ball on Friday evening at the Hall (we'll be there). Next day is Induction Day with very famous World Champions be inducted (we'll be there), and that night, the finals of the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo (and, we'll be there, right up front).

Been looking forward to Induction Weekend since this past January.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Another Vegas event? Didn't your SIL go with you last year?