Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This kind of rodeo gives me so much pleasure watching. Kids getting to be kids and not worried about a few scrapes and bruises. I love kids and used to enjoy helping with 4H rodeos, livestock judging, roping, and do-it-yourself projects. I remember one where I had all the kids help design and build a goat milking stanchion. One of my favorites was teaching the girls simple rope tricks. Mentoring a 4H girls rope trick drill team was so much fun and a big success as they marched and did tricks in the rodeo parade. I credit their mothers with doing the most work and the girls for their interest and hard work.

Watch the entire video. It is hilarious.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, Faye, I will say this again, you know about ranch rodeo much more than I do, but I know about PRCA rodeo.........with due respect, but I do. I was a member of that Association for some years, back in the mid 80's thru later 90's.

Here is the definition, right off of the internet, of the word "rodeo": An exhibition or contest in which cowboys show their skill at riding broncos, roping calves, wrestling steers, etc.: "a rodeo rider" ยท "calf-ropers are the whiz-kids of rodeo

If the above definition doesn't agree with you, look up the word Rodeo on Wikipedia. It totally explains the word.

I've always thought it to be hilarious when someone calls a bull riding a rodeo. It is defined right above that the word "rodeo" is a combination of events, not just one.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Who cares what some unknown person says on the internet. Yes, PRCA has many events, but PRCA doesn't define the word rodeo. When all the major stock contractors and rodeo performers consider just bull riding in the PBR events as a rodeo, I find it hilarious that any self-proclaimed expert thinks they can redefine the word.

Your hero George Strait once hosted just team roping rodeos. No breakaway or tie-down, just team roping. Maybe you need to get together with George and get the definition of rodeo straight.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

What is the WPRA? It is the women's PRO RODEO association. It was founded mainly for barrel racing. They sponsor rodeos that may have only one event or maybe more. I went to a WPRA rodeo that had only break-away roping. It was advertised as a rodeo and it was a rodeo. The WPRA sponsors rodeos that are just barrel racing. Rodeo is rodeo whether ranch or professional. Maybe you need to enlighten the confused women of the WPRA concerning the definition of rodeo. Tell them how many events they need. Is it 2 or 3? Maybe more. You need to enlighten them on what events constitute rodeo.

Being a PRCA member, even long time doesn't make anyone an expert. History is what defines expertise. You have never been interested in the history of rodeo so you don't have that wealth of information to help you understand the true scope of rodeo.

It is great that you and your wife are interested in PRCA only, minus the bull riding, and love watching the cowboy channel and memorizing the top 15 and meeting a few stars at the yearly Hall of Fame inductions. It is great that you have a past in weekend team roping and are a long-time member of PRCA. Be that as it may, none of that makes you an indisputable expert in rodeo, even pro rodeo.

If you make a statement as your opinion based on your past and present involvement, then that is one thing. When you make a blanket statement as a fact such as a gathering of cowboys to compete in their bull riding skills, even at a pro-level PBR, is not a rodeo, and use an internet definition that lacks credibility and disagrees with documented sources from experts in language and history, then you are seeking controversy or attention, maybe both.

Mary Robi likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, Faye, don't get mad/upset with me! People read the description of a word online and go by that. In all of the years, which now have been many, the word "rodeo" has always been described as what is written online.

I know that PRCA describes a "rodeo" the same way the internet does. That is just fact. Unfortunately, way to many people, who know very little-to-nothing about rodeo (not you) call a bull riding event only, a rodeo. It absolutely is not! John isn't the first person I've had to correct.

George Strait never/ever put the word "rodeo" in his team roping championship. It was called, The George Strait Team Roping Classic. Here is the article about his last GSTRC: George Strait Team Roping Comes to a Close - RopeSmart - WE ARE TEAM ROPING

And, yes, I am, pretty darn much, a "self-proclaimed expert". Just how many times have I told you, you are the expert when it comes to WRCA (ranch rodeo) and I'm the expert when it comes to PRCA rodeo. And, as far as that goes, my wife is an expert as well.

Please stop confusing these folks!!

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, tell: Fred Whitfield, Cody Ohl, Speed & Rich, Trevor Brazile, Dee Picket, Mike Beers and even the WPRA history-making Charmagne James..........they're not experts in the rodeo industry. All have multiple World Champion Gold Buckles!!

But, whatever you want to believe in, go for it. Just watch the info you are giving to members on this forum. IOW, I do know what I'm talking about!!

Now, before Ken tells both of us "stop it" again, let's stop it now!

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

What have any of these people have to do with our discussion? Nothing! I never said they weren't rodeo experts. I will restate that the PRCA does not change history or redefine the word rodeo other than their own rules. Why do you resort to name-dropping and taunting? Do you really know what these stars think? I doubt it.

A PRCA-sanctioned rodeo must include, bareback riding, steer wrestling, tie-down roping, saddle bronc riding, team roping, barrel racing, bull riding, and steer roping. Other events may be added but they do not count toward any PRCA winning.

Now, this is just for PRCA and doesn't affect other rodeos amateur or pro that may have just one event or a dozen. The PRCA while it is the largest multi-event rodeo, doesn't redefine history or the definition of rodeo.

Again consider your blanket statement based on your admiration for PRCA was just your opinion. History or linguistics doesn't support such a statement based on a stereotypical idea of what constitutes a rodeo. The PRCA has the right to pick what events they will sanction, but they do not speak for other rodeos and what they must include to be called a rodeo.

Stop telling me what to do and think. Ken may tell you to stop it, but not me because I don't bow and worship your PRCA knowledge. I won't fight with you or play your stupid childless game. If you make statements that are not fact, then I have the right to disagree. I have done so respectfully, but your ego is just too big to admit you are not right about everything concerning pro rodeo minus bull riding.

Mary Robi likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, have at it lady! This thread is all yours now. Say what you want about me and my expertise, but I do have knowledge. I know, you hate having someone tell you that they have more knowledge about something that you do, but........

Now, who knows more? Excellent question. Call PRCA Headquarters in CO Springs and get the 100% truth about rodeo.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is sad that rodeo can't be discussed without such erratic behavior and irrelevant statements. I never said I was a ranch rodeo expert, because I am not. I do have a lifetime of being around and participating in rodeo, but that doesn't make me an expert, not even close.

These kinds of discussions here on a seniors forum should be more reminiscing and personal stories from the past. That is what many visiting a seniors forum look for on these threads that should be fun and bring happiness.

If discussing rodeo is going to be about what the internet says over what one's personal experiences, then why even bother having a discussion rodeo thread? Most know how to search and find information. Consider that a discussion forum is part of the internet and perhaps as seniors, we might shed a different light on this topic. We have many members interested in country living and related topics and it bothers me to see them being schooled with quotes from the internet instead of stories of personal experiences that formed their concepts and opinions.

Mary Robi likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

What do you base this crazy statement that I hate having someone tell me that they have more knowledge than I do? Don't tell me of your vast expertise, prove it with stories of experience rather than the repetitious dribble of name-dropping and pretending you know how other people think. While I may be knowledgeable on several subjects, based on experience, I am not an expert on anything. I never said I was and don't claim to be.

Why would I want to call the PRCA headquarters and ask them for a definition of rodeo when I already know how they define it for their purposes? The PRCA never said they are the indisputable voice for rodeo, only that they are the largest national promoter of rodeo and they define what events they include, but they don't speak for other pro rodeo organizations or any other rodeo. You missed my post about a former relative being one of the cowboys that were part of the founding of the PRCA. Perhaps you need to study and understand the history of the PRCA. Why it was formed is important to understand. You missed my post about many cousins currently involved in the PRCA. Some of them are lifetime members. A few are in the Hall of Fame. One of the upcoming inductees is a distant relative. I refuse to fall for your taunting as it serves no good purpose on a discussion thread. Rodeo should be enjoyable and so should this thread.

I don't care to dominate a thread, but I do enjoy participating and discussing from my personal knowledge and experiences and using my own wording.

Mary Robi likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Faye, you provide information the way you want to and I'll provide information the way I want to.

Another thing, there are plenty of members here that have posted things from the internet, including information.

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread has degraded to the point that it is a waste of time to participate. As we say in rodeo and ranching, time to "let it ride." It is not worth the effort. I think this horse is dead without any further beating.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well Faye, we both can't leave, so, I'll stay. LOL:D:)

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

What a hoot! Like I said before wish we still had little britches rodeo here.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yesterday, July 23rd, was National Day Of The Cowboy and every PRCA sanctioned rodeo we watched on the Cowboy Channel commemorated the day. Whether ranch or rodeo...........the cowboy lifestyle lives on!

Wife and I are very proud of my years as a "rodeo" type cowboy and fully support rodeo as well as ranch cowboys and the ranch lifestyle.

As the old saying goes, "Long Live Cowboys" (and cowgirls).