Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

True, but sometimes opinions spouted as facts that the poster claims anyone with eyesight should agree with, become fact to many unknowledge about a subject. When anyone post evidence of their expertise on a subject and the opposing party labels them and their family history as cruel and if they fail to admit it, they are in denial, becomes more than just an opinion in the minds of many.

Such is not a difference of opinion. but a personal insult that brands one as an unworthy opponent and destroys any good that might have come from a discussion. It certainly has made me shy of posting and making me wish I had never said anything about my past and avoided any discussion that might lead to controversy.

Mary Robi likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Strong opinions feel like facts, though.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

WOW! What a senior rodeo, now in intermission. That is right folks, right here on SOC we have a conclusion to a year long rodeo starring our resident urban cowboy.

After many participants breaking the barriers, multiple swings and misses, attempts to take the bull by the horns, behind the chutes fist fights, buck offs, endless replays of the same ride, excessive spurring, bull fighters trying to distract the bull, mutton busting gone a rye, clowns in barrels, mean old cowgirls, tattooed old hippie cowboys, toxic out of control lilac bushes surrounding the grounds, satanical brands on vehicles, the noise of young buckle winning cowboys and buckle bunnies having sex below the bleachers, it is final - the rodeo grounds will not be relocated.

The rodeo will continue after a brief intermission, so don't leave, just go get a hot dog and start a condiments fights. This is the last rodeo where condiments are not packaged, but in squeeze bottles. Nothing as exciting as squirting mustard and ketchup on a cowboys backside and putting some color to that big W :D:D:D.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, PRCA contestants are going full-scale right now, in order to either stay in the Top 15 or get into it. The NFR this year, in Vegas, has a new purse of $14 million dollars. A few weeks ago, we watched the Reno Rodeo, on the Cowboy Channel, with Bob Tallman and Wayne Brooks. Bob was in the announcers area, whereas Wayne was on his horse in the arena. Bob Tallman is a Legend, when it comes to announcing. This is a 10-day rodeo, with a purse of $800,000!

We also watched the NFR Open last weekend from Colorado Springs. It had rained a whole lot and the arena was extremely wet and muddy, but, as the old saying goes "the Show must go on". A lot of cowboys got very wet and muddy!

We are now watching the Snake River Stampede in Napa, Idaho and CFD will be starting. Slack, for CFD, has already started.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife needed a new straw, so Saturday we went to Boot Barn and got a nice one for her. Much, much better looking than the one that is over 23 years old.

Actually, I think it's hilarious that people will go to a "western/rodeo" themed steakhouse and have no idea what any of the decor is. "I'm just here for the food. I could care less about the decor" one person told me Saturday night at the restaurant called The Longhorn Steakhouse. I told this person, and by looking at me had to know (I guess), that I knew all of the decor in the restaurant. This included a wonderful picture of Bill Pickett who invented Steer Wrestling aka "Bulldogging". Bill is one of numerous black cowboys that are famous rodeo stars..........and we've met a few, like: Shad Mayfield, Cory Solomon, Fred Whitfield and John Douch.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Did you know that Cracker Barrel was named in memory of redneck Niagara Falls dare devils?

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, just how did the word "redneck" get into the rodeo forum? But, interesting enough, I didn't know that about Cracker Barrel.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

I was making a bad joke.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess redneck got in the thread the same way that the Longhorn Steakhouse did. :rolleyes:

Professional Bull Riding team competition started yesterday. I am enjoying watching it on my DVR as I type. I am so thankful that all the riders take off their hats for the National Anthem, including the many Brazilians that are thankful for the opportunity the USA has offered them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Whoosh. giggle.gif

Mary Robi, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I couldn't get to my keyboard fast enough to issue that important warning before you stepped in it. :D

I raced out in my newly received vintage, 1990, USA made, bareback, slim fit, tapered leg, split boot hem, riding, denim, rodeo approved, semi stacked, factory peglegged, mom blue jeans, then consulted with my husband only to get a coffin sound instead of a coughin' sound, but alas, it was too late. :rolleyes:

e03b13bf0db124fc7d92566b1c78fff6--humus-mini-farm.jpg

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually, I was thinking Cracker Barrel too. I was in antiques and auctioning for a long time and I enjoy all the 'decorations'--antiques, farm implements, pictures, ads...
    People with me asked me what everything was. It was fun. Like your friends at the western steak houses did with you.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never eaten at a Cracker Barrel and long ago at a Longhorn that went out of business since we have several great steakhouses. The décor in the Longhorn was disappointing compared to our steakhouse that dates back to the early days of rodeo and has signed photos of every star that ever rode in the Roundup plus famous Hollywood cowboy stars. They also have much of the stars old gear, hats, boots, spurs, chaps, saddles, ropes, and you name it.

Only tourist and modern day rodeo fans have to ask about the older display, especially the famous women display. They rode bulls and broncs before they stopped women from doing crazy things like that. It was stopped because Bonnie McCarroll was killed in 1929 from injuries received from bronc riding and being thrown. Now it is just roping and barrel racing.

Even a pizza joint has its walls covered with cowboy memorabilia. There are even original paintings by Charlie Russel and other famous cowboy artist. One cafe is all about old cowboy times, there is a cowboy museum, and the list goes on. They have a hat maker, a boot maker, and a custom denim seamstress. Every block has something cowboy or ranch related on it.

Mary Robi and Mary Stetler like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff