Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Modeling a local seamstress custom design
    jeans, age 65, at a local PRCA rodeo while
    helping getting things organized. I was given
    a $500 gift card to a local ranch supply for my
    modeling. I used it to buy my 4WD lawnmower.

iZwAPPboxsIO.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Really wonder what happened to Roper brand ladies jeans? That was the kind my wife wore when I first met her in 2000. Now she wears Boot Cut Wrangler jeans, but likes them just as much as she did the old Roper ones she use to have.

Don't manufactures know that Seniors don't like change and/or when something is stopped! LOL

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You can buy them on Amazon.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Those Roper jeans on Amazon look more like the old Designer Jordache jeans of years ago, with back pockets with white designs on them. Her old Roper jeans didn't have back pockets. So, my wife says "no thanks".
    E-Bay has Roper jeans, but most being sold are "used" aka previously worn.
    She will stick with her Original Boot Cut Wrangler Jeans.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

After not only going to the trouble of finding a source for Roper Jeans but also taking the time to post on a thread I have been avoiding, a little Thank You for the effort would have been nice.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Isn't a reply the same as a Thank You?? Then again, if you would've looked at who was wearing those jeans (very young girls), you probably wouldn't have told me about them in the first place.

But, as you request: Thank You!!

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Never mind Cody.
    Forget that I even tried to help you out.
    Since your wife doesn’t belong to this forum, it was you who wrote what your wife wanted and I simply delivered.

Do Note: I didn’t “request” a thank you. I merely pointed out what you should have thought of on your own.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just FYI, my wife doesn't want to be a part of any forum, this one or another one. She has told me that she has seen what I've gone thru, IOW, some of the bashing and teasing and refuses to be a part of that. Can't say I blame her, but.

Basically speaking, the only reason I'm still part of this forum is because I see some very interesting threads that I want to comment on and either think of something I want to do as a thread on or see a news article that I want to do a thread about. I know I'm putting myself out there for ridicule each and every time I either make a comment or do a thread, but, as I'm told, that is what happens on a public forum. So...........

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The thing is Cody, you speak for your wife and other people. That is a big no no on any forum. That is second hand testimony and easy to discard from any discussion. When you say your wife said "no thanks" that is the same as you saying "no thanks."

If your wife is serious about buying vintage bareback Roper jeans, then have her check out Poshmark. The only problem I have with vintage Roper bareback riding jeans is the low shallow front pockets are easy to pickpocket in crowds like rodeo. If she is serious, then I can offer some tips since I have been buying and wearing vintage western jeans from Poshmark for years. I have bought in great condition and even old stock unworn, made in the USA, Wrangler, Levi, Jordache, and many more old brands.

I love vintage USA made western wear from hats to boots. Jeans are my specialty. I recently thinned my collection from 50 vintage USA jeans down to 27. I figure if I live to 100, I will have to wear out a pair a year. So far I haven't worn out even one pair. They use to make them to last even under the wear of the saddle. You can't buy that quality on Amazon.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Uh oh...
    Warning Will Robinson!!!!
    A new spousal alert!
    MY hubby has caught me laughing at things on SOC pretty often, with coffee. He asked me for the site. I think he has been here...LURKING.
    I have been using my first husband's last name here.:eek: after I had trouble signing on with my first set of names.
    Someone has to HIDE ME.:cool:
    Hubby has been wearing Wrangler polyester jeans with permanent crease for about 500 years. When they started to wear out, he fretted what to do. They could not possibly still be making them. NO ONE else could still be wearing them.:confused:
    Lo and behold they are still selling them on amazon and even in his size!
    He is also a bit of a voyeur. Not sure if he will ever sign on.o_O But he won't comment either.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I remember buying a couple pairs of those and I can understand why he likes them; in short, they fit even if a guy has a small butt.

About the only time I wear jeans anymore is when I want Yvonne to “notice” me. Yup…she does like me in jeans.

Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Let me know if he does and I'll take good care of him. I just checked and the only two registrants we had was someone who used only one (female) name and another who shows up on half the spam registries that I subscribe to, so neither of those was accepted.

Rodeos... I'm trying to think of something to say about rodeos that I haven't already said but I'm sorry, I can't. Although I practically lived on the rodeo grounds during the entirety of the time that the rodeo grounds were open for two rodeos (Los Fresnos and Mercedes) for several years, I was staffing the ambulance. Still, I got to see all of the events up until the bull riding, and then we usually transported someone during the bull riding events, and one of our other ambulances took over for us for the remainder. When you're watching the rodeo as a spectator, you might look forward to the exciting stuff but, as a paramedic, the exciting stuff is too likely to involve work.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    Mary Stetler, Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, that was Zeks story and why after retiring he loved watching bull riding and could care less about the rest of rodeo. He said as a paramedic, he never got to see bull riding very long because of the injuries. Sometimes he never got to see any bull riding because of the injured broc riders. Even if they didn't transport, they were busy wrapping sprains. They always had 2 ambulances and 2 paramedics and 2 EMT's on the scene. As captain, he usually stayed on the scene and let the other transport.

Even being around rodeo my entire life, I can't think of anything to add to this rodeo thread that anyone would care about. Just like real rodeo, many discussions end up with a scuffle behind the chutes. No biggie I guess, but when the fight enters the arena, then the crowd leaves and the judges have to call a time out penalty hahaha!

One thing I have to say @Ken Anderson is this thread on your forum has more participation than is seen on ranch forums concerning rodeo. Not sure that is a positive thing, but ...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry, Bobby, but I am saying "thank you" to Faye for the information. Took a look at Poshmark, but decided to stay with Wrangler. When she wore Roper jeans, she was 50/51 in 2000/2001 and slimmer than now at 75. Heck, back when I first met her in early 2000, I was wearing Slim Fit Wrangler Jeans, but definitely not today! I also had a few western shirts with pearl snaps, but not anymore. All of mine now are button-down collar/button shirts. At one time, before meeting my wife, I had a very colorful Brooks & Dunn long-sleeve shirt. That ended up at the Goodwill.

As for boots, I started out with the pointed type boots, but after buying my Red Roan roping/"heading" horse, I decided to try the Roper Boots (both regular and lace-up) and stayed with those. They felt much more comfortable (for me) in the saddle stirrups than the pointed boots did. My wife, when we met, was wearing pointed boots, until we bought her a pair of black regular Roper ones, then later, her lace-up ones.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Ken, when I worked ambulance, as an EMT/Attendant/Driver, I never once stood by for a rodeo. Then again, back then (mid 70's, I didn't even know what a "rodeo" was and the ambulance companies I worked for Huntington Beach, CA- Los Angeles, CA and in Westminster, CA) didn't have a Contract like that. We only stood by for motorcycle races (Indian Dunes and Orange County Raceway), but did have a few that we took to the ER. One, unfortunately, ended up being a DOA. A kid was standing next to a tree, off of his motor-cross bike, stepped out and was hit by another rider that was heading for the Start Line.

Actually, we were the only Unit at these races, so the race stopped until we got back from the ER. There was no Back-Up back then.

Ken Anderson likes this.