Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Search USA made Wranglers on Poshmark. There are 1000s listed. I currently have 7 pair, 5 bareback that I wear almost every day. They are size 9 juniors relaxed fit. My Levis are size 11 juniors slim fit and they fit about the same as the Wranglers.

The thing to know about vintage jeans, especially Wranglers and Levis, is the old USA sizing is different than the modern 3rd world made jeans. I only buy from sellers that give actual measures of the jeans they are selling. Waist, rise, hips, and inseam are important. My advice is to measure a pair of jeans she has and loves and then find a vintage pair of bareback Wranglers with the same measures.

You may not want to pass this info to her because buying USA made vintage western jeans can become an addiction but .... when you see her in her first pair of USA made vintage medium wash relaxed fit high rise bareback Wranglers, you will be thanking me at least 3 times so ......

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Let's make this rodeo thread fun. Share a fun rodeo or rodeo parade story. Yes, even you Ken has a fun story I am sure, although you may have to dig deep in the archivers to retrieve it.

I'll start .....

I am reminded of years ago when I was doing some rope tricks at a ranch rodeo and wore some tight jeans I made myself and my soon to be husband and 9 of his friends were leaning on the rails watching.

One of my Texas born lifelong ranch Grandmas -- "You boys should all be on your knees praising the good Lord you were born human, because if y'all were born cattle, 9 of y'all would be steers."

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Who is funny to watch is the two rodeo clowns (aka barrel clowns) John Harrison and Gizmo. On Nov. 30, just prior to last years NFR, Teton Ridge Awards Ceremony, John done a "Tripe-Crown of Buckles". He was honored with not one, not two, but three year-end awards in front of the sellout crowd. Harrison was named the PRCA Comedy Act of the Year for the second time, the PRCA Coors Man in the Can for the fifth time, and the PRCA Clown/Barrelman of the Year for the first time in his career.

We just started seeing Gizmo at rodeos on the Cowboy Channel and he is hilarious.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

But then where would they have hung their hats?:rolleyes:

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Mercedes Rodeo was a week-long event and we staffed the 1st Aid trailer 24 hours per day as well as having an ambulance on the scene of the rodeo itself, which was part of a larger livestock show and agricultural event. When we transported someone from the rodeo event, the rodeo would stop (except for some of the parading stuff) until another ambulance was in place, so we would dedicate four ambulances to Mercedes during that time. We had a 9-1-1 contract with the City of Mercedes for one ambulance so, during that week, we'd station two ambulances at our EMS station in Mercedes and two at the rodeo grounds. Staffing the 1st Aid trailer was a kickback job, for the most part, especially after the fairgrounds closed. There would occasionally be an animal accident with one of the 4-H kids, or something alcohol-related from someone who was camping at the fairgrounds, although alcohol was prohibited, but mostly we slept. I don't remember ever transporting anyone from any of the rodeo events other than the bull riding event. We did have some minor injuries during the bronco riding, but I don't think anyone was transported.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It's hilarious that, at some PRCA rodeo's, a Boot Barn flag is brought into the arena and there are Boot Barn signs around the arena, BUT, the employees at the Boot Barn in Ft. Collins know absolutely nothing about PRCA rodeo. Now, the employees at the Boot Barn in Temecula, CA knew a lot about PRCA rodeo. They even sold a few saddles, some other tack, Classic ropes-roping gloves-rope bags and rough-stock equipment. Way back when, I bought a Classic Rope Bag and one of my Classic ropes (that I still have) from them.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson Since our local rodeos are in the hottest weather, the medics here tend to a lot of dehydration, especially those that have been drinking alcohol and not enough water. One of my friends grandsons is a paramedic and volunteers for rodeo duty. He says a couple years ago all their transports were for dehydration. Last year a church group provided free bottled water to anyone that wanted it at the fair and rodeo. Only one dehydration case that required the ER.

So many fans bring only one bottle of water and refuse to pay $1.50 for a bottle at the booths. This church group was out $2500 for ice and water and even gave the empty bottles to needy families since they are worth 10 cents each here. This year they have many folks that aren't members or even church attenders that are donating money so the church group can keep this going.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We were on the Texas-Mexico border, so 100+ weather was not uncommon, but I don't think we had much that was attributed to dehydration. Bottled water was free at the Mercedes show though, so that might have accounted for that.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Why is that "hilarious?" I'd venture to say that most minimum-wage employees of any business aren't knowledgeable about what they're selling. The garden center people can't possibly know everything about horticulture, Walmart guy selling guns probably have never owned one, electronics salespeople can barely find the power button on computers, etc. They don't need to be experts just because their business sponsors rodeo; they just need to sell boots and jeans to Rhinestone cowboys.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

FYI, Beth, it's very disrespectful words, "Rhinestone cowboys" to a ranch or rodeo cowboy (former or present). But, doubt you'd understand that! LOL

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the employees, no matter what department they work in, should have knowledge of what they sell. And, if the store sponsors professional rodeo, they should know something about it. When I run into an employee, that works in the department that I'm shopping in, he or she, had better know enough about the products that are in the department or I will report them to the store manager. However, if the person is a temp, filling in for another person, I will give "benefit of the doubt".

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bulletin: Not Everything is About You.

So you believe all the customers of western wear stores are actual rodeo cowboys? Get over it; there are 100x more "rhinestone cowboys" getting all duded up to go line dancing which keeps those stores in business. So I couldn't care less who feels "disrespected"; facts are facts.

And I'm sure the manager will get a belly-laugh out of you when you leave. Hiring "experts" can't be done at the salaries they are paying; and why would an expert want to stand on their feet all day making minimum wage to wait on nit-pickers? Ridiculous. Besides, it's obvious that you already KNOW EVERYTHING, so what would you need to ask... "IOW" you'll just argue with them anyway.

Krystal Shay, Mary Robi and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Well said, Beth. On the other hand, sometimes people know a lot less about their particular area of self-expertise than they think they do.....

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, that is what I find hilarious! Our giant western wear and ranch supply sells more western clothes two weeks before rodeo and fair and the Goodwill has its largest supply after the rodeo and fair. Most ranchers and rodeo folks wear clothes that aren't really stereotypical "cowboy" on a daily basis and some have hats and boots they have had for years that they wear to rodeo.

Even our giant store that pays employees better than Boot Barn don't have employees that either know or care about rodeo. Most know about ranching in general. No one going in to buy western wear asked the employee what wear is best for rodeo. They get what appeals to them and could care less if certain boots and hats are endorsed by the top PRCA 15 contestants.

Drug store, Hollywood, rhinestone, urban, and mail order are perfectly good terms to describe dressing to look like a stereotypical cowboy of old that pushed cattle along the Chisom Trail. Most western shirts are designed to look like old country singers (example: Little Jimmy Dickens) or Hollywood shoot em up cowboys and have no connection to the cowpokes of old.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Boot Barn -- Let's investigate if the problem, the metamorphosis, of becoming a cowboy or cowgirl is with the staff or the customers.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Gee, I thought that country people lived simple lives.

This stuff is too complicated.

Faye Fox likes this.