Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I with Charmayne James after winning her 11th Barrel Racing Championship riding Cruiser.
    upload_2021-8-28_18-29-53.jpeg

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

At the 2021 Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame Induction. Me with Miss Rodeo Colorado and Miss Rodeo Texas.

upload_2021-8-28_18-44-0.jpeg

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I've come to understand that now. I wanted to put the photos of my wife and I, with these World Champions and Rodeo Royalty, so nobody might wonder "ok, but where is Cody and his wife here?".

I have very few pictures of Red and I, from back in my active days in rodeo. Just wasn't into, very much, taking photos or having photos taken of me, but after I met my wife in March 2000, the point-and-shoot camera she had, really, really got used. When I met her, I was only working for/helping Stock Contractors at rodeos, like: Flying "U", Misner and Sons, Triangle "T", John Growney (Growney Bros.) and Honeycutt Rodeo.

Right after meeting my wife, I took her to many, many So. California rodeos, from Bakersfield to Poway.

For our Honeymoon, we went to Las Vegas during the Wrangler Winter Finals Rodeo in 2001. Back then, Copenhagen/Skoal were major sponsors. It was held at the MGM Grand Gardens. We seen Charmayne, in the contestant parking area, preparing Cruiser for their run. By that time, 2001, Scamper had already been retired.

One of my "rodeo highlights" was when I was at the Forum Championship Rodeo in Los Angeles. It took place at the old Los Angeles Forum, where the NBA Lakers played. Had 4-go arounds (Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday afternoon). Forum wasn't full, but still had a nice crowd. Cotton Rosser's Flying "U" Rodeo Company brought the stock in. That was when Cotton would be in the arena on his horse. A lot of dirt was brought into the arena, which made it very nice to ride in during each Grand Entry. A local sports network was there "live".

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting pictures Cody,thanks.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just wondering about your word, "interesting"? We are serious, actually, very serious, rodeo fans. Whereas some rodeo fans only go to their hometown (where they live) rodeo, we try to go to numerous ones.

We pretty much gave up rodeo, when we moved to northeastern Florida. In 10 1/2 years living there, we went to one rodeo and that one was really little, compared to ones we've been to. Most of our western clothes, including our hats, stayed in our closet. But, during Florida's so-called "winter months", we put on our Wrangler jeans. From what I seen, only wife and I wore Wrangler jeans. Levi's were the "name of the game" in Jacksonville!

After a week visit to northern Colorado in mid 2019, we 100% knew we had to move back..........even with snowstorms, blizzards in the winter.

Last month, we drove 8 hours to get to a rodeo in Kansas. That's a pretty serious rodeo fan!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My comment was positive. But closest thing I came to rodio was on a electric bull in a club,rode it till the end, thats from riding donkeys though not bulls.My large standard jenny Katy was always trying to throw me.So I got plenty of bucking experience.

Also went to a few rodios but not as a rider,lol.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Watching PBR and just saw Paulo Lima win the Iron Cowboy event. It was his first win in 5 years. Beautiful rides!

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not into PBR. Just PRCA bull riders at rodeos, but definitely know more bronc (saddle/bareback) than bull riders. And, Timed-Events are most definitely for us. Now they added Breakaway to that. Some mighty fine young ladies out there can swing/catch a calf!

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just don't know about that. Activists have been trying, and sometimes succeeding in shutting down rodeo for years, and that includes ranch rodeos.
    On the Cowboy Channel, we've noticed that when an animal or contestant gets hurt, the camera's instantly switch to somewhere else or go to commercial. When Stetson Wright got kicked by either a bull or bronc, and was laying in the arena, the Cowboy Channel camera switched their camera from him laying in the arena to the announcer. Later, a Cowboy Channel person talked about his injury.

Like Lane Frost's deadly injury in Cheyenne and the crowd seen the bull hit him and him laying in the arena dirt. That had to be horrifying for the rodeo fans to see.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree with @Faye Fox about the animal activists not caring if the person was injured by the bull, or whether the contractor keeps the bull in his string of bucking stock.
    The cameras will go away from the injured person because they do not want to keep showing that person on the television screen, not because of the animal that hurt him.
    Animal rights people don’t care if the person was killed, they only care about what happens to the animal afterwards. If the bull is sent to slaughter because he injured/killed someone, then the animal rights people would object to the death of the bull.

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, did the stock contractor who owned the bull that killed Lane Frost, keep the bull in competition? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, it is horrifying and I have seen one death and numerous injuries happen at rodeos over the years both from the chutes and the stands.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, just ask Tie Down Roper aka Calf Roper, Cody Ohl. At the WNFR in 2001, he seriously injured his knee. Apparently he didn't take care of the knee very good, kept competing and, this year (2021) wound up in ICU. He couldn't even attend his induction into the Hall of Fame. He had a female friend accept his induction buckle and trophy.
    He was one of my wife's favorite Calf Ropers, along with Fred Whitfield, Brent Lewis, Trevor Brazil and a few others.