Ron Desantis

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Florida gettin' it done. (Not necessarily the doing of DeSantis, but still a win.)

"A Florida bill banning Chinese citizens from owning land in the state has passed the Florida Legislature and will head to Gov. Ron Desantis to be signed into law.

Bill SB 264, titled "SB 264: Interests of Foreign Countries," prohibits Chinese citizens from “purchasing or acquiring real property” in Florida or having more than a small “indirect interest in such real property.” https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-bill-banning-chinese-citizens-021816824.html

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know how I feel about that. I recall when Japanese land ownership had everyone's knickers in a knot, and were are they now? If this is gonna happen, it should be a component of a national-level strategy that includes other nations. But the Fed is in the states' business, and the states are dealing with the results of an absentee Fed when it comes to doing it's job.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I feel fine about it; the Chinese should not be allowed to buy American farm lands, or any other American soil. The Fed isn't going to do a damn thing, just like with the borders.

4. John Brunner

I don't think any foreign nation should be able to buy our farmland. And I agree about the Fed.

Ruby Begonia and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Agree.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think any foreign companies should be allowed to buy any property in the USA. They might be given leases with strict guidelines, but outright ownership, NO! Also foreign individuals might be allowed a lease with the option to buy when they got their citizenship.

The UN should be disband and all foreign embassies should be USA property and under all our laws with no diplomat immunity. Little known to the general public, but of concern to me is the ranchers and property owners that are being run off their land bordering the Rio Grande and the sale of that property below value to Chinese communist investors. Ask yourself, why do the Chinese want this basically useless property? Certainly not so they can run 100 cows on 10,000 acres like the ranchers that were forced off by the open border policies and sold out for a dime on the dollar.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The toll roads around the country have been owned by foreign entities for decades. They are 'leased' for like 99 years or something but hey, almost half of that time is probably up. Lots of gas stations and motels are owned by east Indians. Probably lots of other stuff.
    The laws are better for them than for us.:(

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Appears that the bill covers our concerns...

"It targets “foreign countries of concern,” including Russia, Cuba, Iran and North Korea. It puts the biggest spotlight on China, carving out language specifically devoted to how the legislation applies to its government and those connected with it." More here... https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-signs-crackdown-foreign-ownership-181325973.html

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

I love the headline..."despite Chinese discrimination concerns." Since when are foreign nations a protected class?

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's your answer. :rolleyes: (You knew this, lol.)

""My concern has always been with the lack of definitions with some of the critical terms used in the bill," said House Democratic Leader Fentrice Driskell of Tampa. "Because we have a lack of definitions, if they were viewed to be overbroad, we could veering into the area of national origin discrimination." o_O:rolleyes::confused:

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

One must admire the amount of energy expended to be so friggin' stupid.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

An interesting thing, tomorrow night, Ron DeSantis is supposed to be officially announcing his candidacy for the presidency. However, he is not doing it on the mainstream media, as is always done before.
    DeSantis is going to announce his candidacy on TWITTER ! !
    They have something (I am not familiar with) called Spaces on Twitter, and tomorrow night , DeSantis and Elon Musk will be talking together and that is when DeSAntis is expected to announce.

I think that things are changing, and this is going to set a trend of using Twitter (and maybe other social media) as a way to announce political aspirations, and also to have the debates, since they can control who is doing the announcing and moderation better if they agree to do it on Twitter.
    Twitter is pretty well on a track to outpace most of the mainstream media in the not-too-distant future, and Musk is nowhere near done with adding more features and making it run better.
    I am kind of expecting to see President Trump on Twitter again before too long.

13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd love to see Trump back on Twitter. He could sell Truth.social to a biblical group, or do something funny like sell it to a Democrap, oops, crat.

I think it kind of puts him between a rock and a hard spot since I think Twitter is better now that Elon has it, and I just feel Trump belongs there, NEVER should have been banned that's for sure. I looked into joining Truth Social but there was something, I forget, about joining that kind of ticked me off :mad: One thing I remember was it was just for IOS users at first, I think??

I don't think DeSantis should run, just a gut feeling, and I still think Trump has the True Grit we need :) Not everyone liked Rooster Cogburn either, but he got the job done ;)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I joined TruthSocial once it was opened for access by computer but I never check into it.

15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

A gal just tweeted this below and I had to agree with her when I thought about it. What do you all think?

Capture.JPG