Rural Life

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I also grew up on a farm, and most of my family are still farming in south Georgia. Now I live in a semi-rural suburb; a subdivision surrounded by woods on the San Jacinto River. We get plenty of birds, squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc. but no domestic livestock allowed. Yesterday we saw an eagle sitting in a neighbor's pine tree... what an awesome sight.

OT, but did you hear about the paper mill closing in Canton NC? It used to be a Champion plant IIRC. https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/ch...nton-paper-mill-closure-impacts-mountain-town

Admin, Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That might be a good time for someone looking to buy an affordable home in North Carolina.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My son met a girl from Texas back in the 80s, they married and lived in Houston since.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to laugh Ken-- huge city of 4,000? Our town in Texas had over 150,000. Present town 800 at best - seems tiny here to us.

5. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

New on this forum but thought I would share this on this thread.....

The following was written 15 years ago when I started a personal blog, very little has changed in the passing years....

“I am a Canadian by choice not chance. I am a country boy not a city slicker. I have a dog not a doorbell, a collie not a rottweiler, a friend not a pet. I walk in the woods not the streets. I have a truck not a car, a barn not a garage, a septic system not a sewer. I live on a gravel road not a paved road. I have dial up not high speed, a mailbox not a letterbox, a yard light not a street light. I shoot photo’s not trophies. I am old not young, married not single, poor not rich, over taxed not over sexed. I heat with wood not gas, I respect my neighbors not numb-sculls, police not politicians , hikers not hunters. I am a RURAL Canadian.”

Widowed for several years, I now have a garage to put my car in addition to the barn and have a startling 5Mbps internet connection, on a good day, via direct line of sight connection from the top of a 68' tower installed to get above the trees. I am gradually heating more and more with propane as the effort to cut, split and stack wood removed from my bush becomes harder and harder on the old bones but apart from that little has changed and it still outlines my general thoughts on rural living.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I can identify with all that, @Don Roles. We had an Australian shepherd until last November. We once heated with wood, then propane until a school up the road paid for natural gas to be run nearby. We live on a dirt road, and have DSL (not sure the speed). We still use wood to heat our shed and greenhouse. We have very similar lives, but, thankfully, I am not a widower. I don't know what I would do if she died....

7. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes Don, give your wife an extra hug this morning, we sometimes dont recognize what these ladies bring to our lives until they are no longer there. I suspect many on this forum are in the same boat as I but thats fodder for a whole new thread.

8. Bert Davies

Bert Davies Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I took a short cut the other day across a field full of cow-poo. I'd swear I was 4" taller when I came out the other side.;)

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

SW Kansas being a farm and ranch state, we have cattle rustling vs, burglaries .:D