Safest Tick Control

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You could try an electric fence. You need to train the deer to the fence by putting apple slices on the fence. The deer will taste the apples, get shocked and become afraid to go near the apples. I haven't tried it with deer, but my friends in Pennsylvania tell me it works there. The deer could easily jump the fence, but they apparently get frightened when they don't know what is happening. It is used here against bears using bacon and the sows train the cubs not to touch the fences, so it goes for several generations, but deer aren't as smart as bears. I use electric fences by themselves against moose, and snow fence seem to work for moose as well; they are spooked when they can't figure out the visual obstruction as the snow fences are 8 feet high. Moose, however, can push down many chain link fences and I have seen them break the latches on gates using force, but the snow fence seems to confuse and scare them, thinking it is a trap I guess.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The safest tick control is to live in the desert. :D

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I might have to move the deer talk to a separate thread since this one is about ticks, but that's okay. On the subject of deer, my brother feeds the deer and sometimes has six of seven of them waiting for him in the morning, but he has chain link fences around his fruit trees and garden.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hubby has he got off Amazon too, he just used on me last week to get a tic off me I got going to mailbox.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think Brad Paisley has the best idea:

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have one of those.

[​IMG]

I used to get them all the time from cleaning pain brushes, drywall compound tools, etc at the edge of the woods, because the garden hose was nearby and it was a likely spot. I would be kneeling down right in the worse tick spot you could possibly pick, but the water & stuff ran downgrade and into the woods.

I finally bought a used fiberglass double laundry tub to put there, screwed a drain adapter to it, and stuck a 10' stick of 1 1/4" PVC drain line on it to carry the water down the slope (for mosquito control.) So now I drag the hose to the tub and stand up a few feet inside the treeline to do the work. It's real handy for all sorts of stuff. And it makes my place look "country." Maybe I should spray paint my house number on it...