Sausage And Peppers And Onions, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Tony Page, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Sausage and peppers and onions
    We've been making "Sausage and Peppers" with some onions forever. my grandmother made it, my mother made it, my wife's mother and my wife made it. My mother for a large Gathering would add potatoes to the tray, and the potatoes just tasted awesome with the flavoring of the peppers and the onions and the sausage. That's how we've been making it for the last 58 years since we're married.Without any changes to the method of making them the last three times we've made it the potatoes came out undercooked.We generally use Idaho (Russet) potatoes never had a problem, I was just wondering if anybody else is having problems with potatoes taking longer to cook or being drier.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I do sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes, I slice the sausages into small rounds, dice the onions and cut the potatoes into small cubes before throwing everything into the skillet. The idea is to thoroughly cook the sausage, caramelize the onions, crisp the small tater cubes and let the peppers add some taste and color to the mix. I don't always get it right. .

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I make mine similarly, Tony. As for the potatoes, I believe @Richard Whiting posted about some issues he has had with potatoes recently. It seems like his were too wet as opposed to too dry, though. Personally I haven't noticed any change in potatoes. Maybe slice them a little thinner.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree that's what we said we're going to try
    Potatoes all came from the same bag we feel that they might have been one that was extra hard for some reason for some of them came out okay.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My mouth is watering....

Hedi Mitchell and Tony Page like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like a good sausage & peppers sub, but have never made sausage & peppers (with or without the bun) for dinner.

Tony Page likes this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

In this general area we have quite a few Feasts and Fairs during the summer and spring a few of them have a food truck that specializes in sausage and peppers. The cook has a large Grill and grills the peppers and onions in a large pile in one section, the sausage he uses is twice the thickness of the ones we can buy locally I don't know if he makes it himself or has a special source to buy it. It comes in a rather large coil and he'll slice a sandwich-sized piece off and cut it horizontally and cook it on the grill after a while he'll put open face piece of Italian bread on the sausage to absorb the sausage favor when the sausage is done it goes on the bread with the peppers and onions on top.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.