Scammers Are Out Full Force

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Kate Ellery, May 20, 2022.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I use Malwarebytes also. I like that it's not as intrusive as some other programs.

This next doesn't seem worthy of a new thread so I'll intrude on John's. Did the ancient Indians use lathes, muzzle-loading rifles and electricity? This is very interesting. Praveen Mohan.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Tony Page like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Viewing the “screwed scammer”, if the culprit with Deadbolt had enough talent to lock up the computers before, why then did they not have the talent to lock them up again which would need another key to unlock them and blackmail them into paying an extra revenge fee?

Dwight Ward and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Perhaps (perhaps) the company beefed up its security. If I recall correctly, the ransomware is usually launched when someone opens an email attachment, so email filters and/or user education would occur. If there were other means of delivering it, those security holes may have been patched (user education, updating software.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Geek Squad scam has raised it's ugly head again. This time it's a fear inducing email that erroneous information has been added to your public record. (I suppose if a person clicked on the link they would tell you how to remove the errors if you would give them your social security number, money, etc. :( ) I just got this email this morning from:

From: Public Record ; <geeksquad@emailinfo.geeksquad.com>

Image1.jpg

I apologize if this has been posted before. I just learned of it.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is a double scam ! Not only are they trying to scam you into spending money about a fake background check, they are using the Geek Squad name, which is the service department of Best Buy.
    You can see by the email that is does not come from Best Buy, but that makes it look more “legitimate” when people read it and see the same name.

6. John Brunner

It's amazing how cheap and easy it is for these people to blast out these emails to millions of recipients at a time.

Plus, look at the wording: "Someone may have run a background check on you." I got induced into signing up for NextDoor.com because I entered my address in their site to see what was happening in "my neighborhood" and it said "Sign up to read about vehicle break-ins on your street." Of course, I was pretty sure there had not been any, but I signed up anyway. I was right. They lied to me. Or perhaps their lawyers will tell me that I would be notified (in the future tense) if any happened and someone posted about it.

Way to drag our society down by making lying a routine, accepted part of life. ba$tard$

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for reminding me how dangerous things can get. But I found this out in person at the grocery store a couple months ago, when my wallet was slipped from inside my purse by 3 women and a man, who spoke broken English and the women crowed around me.
    It seems we have to always be on our guard now.

Mary Stetler and John Houlihan like this.
  8. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Also notice the words "Rresults" (2 r's) and "effect future and current jobs" instead of affect. Incorrect English is always a tip-off.

9. John Brunner

I once read an article about those "Your Nigerian uncle has died and left you $1,000,000" emails. Apparently they intentionally use poorly written English so as to immediately screen out those who might otherwise have wasted the scammers' time pursuing it up to a point and then dropping out. Anyone who would response to such a constructed email in the first place is more likely to eventually swallow the bait.

It's smart and it's cynical, all at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Jane Carlson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My nieces husband travels , and just this week someone stole his phone and literally wiped them clean of everything- even financial holdings. I shiver as to why his phone was not locked. The other thing that makes this bad, is everything was synced from laptop to phone . I never do that. Very expensive lesson for them both. Hoping it all turns out better soon, and they catch this guy.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Is correct English still taught today?

Jane Carlson likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

People wonder why I remain a dinosaur. I don't care to know how to sync, I don't do apps or the cloud or facebook. I bank with paper although I could see how that could be forced out. I use a local credit union although Chase keeps offering me hundreds of dollars to bank with them.
    I back up personal data with a couple of notebooks...
    I regularly forget some of my passwords...

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm not so different. My Macs are synced because I use my MacBook while I am traveling or working outside the home, while I use my Mac Mini otherwise, so syncing my computers lets me access stuff that I created on one computer from the other. Macs make syncing easy.

I do not sync my iPhone, however, because I don't use my iPhone for many computer uses. Other than the ones that came with the phone, the only app that I have downloaded to it is the Wayz GPS application and another that helps me to identify plants that I'm not familiar with. I almost never access the Internet from my iPhone. Pretty much the only things I use my iPhone for are telephone calls and texting, and I don't do a lot of that.

I do use the Cloud because Mac programs default to saving stuff in the Cloud, and it helps to keep my hard drives from filling up. The emptier the hard drive is, the smoother the computer works.

I still use post-it notes and yes, even a calculator. While my Mac comes with a calculator and I have numerous programs that could take the place of a post-it note, I just find it easier to use post-it notes and a calculator.

When my browser decides to forget my passwords, I have a heck of a time getting access to stuff. Mac does have an easy way of accessing stored passwords, though, and I am familiar with that. Still, sometimes they turn out to be wrong.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No; they are busy breaking the rules on "pronouns."

John Brunner and Shirley Martin like this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Surely you jest? Many people have different issues that can often cause them to mis spell or jut use the wrong words or phrases. :)