Scammers Are Out Full Force

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Kate Ellery, May 20, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I got an fairly aggressive final notice text about paying my TOLL road bills just a while ago …..that’s strange …. we don’t have any toll roads in SA :eek: The closest toll road to be would prob be …in Melbourne city ( Victoria ) that’s about 1.200 + Km from where I’m :):D

Of course the text message had links for me to follow to pay the bill NOW …… :(:(

These scammers never give up :mad:do they

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, it looks like I was wrong. And apparently so were the people who reported the number as being a scam.

I got another Voice Mail message today from the number identifying itself as WellCare, and I also got a letter from them. It seems there is a problem with payment (I send a single check for the entire year's premium because the amount is so small, and something happened with the transaction this year.)

So if those calls are not legit, it's one heck of a coincidence. And if it is legit, I'm angry that WellCare did not contact me when I filled out the online form reporting that toll free number as being a scammer...it's actually theirs!!! maybe

Anyway, this one may have been of my own doing. But it's weird that the number got reported inline as a scammer. I can see people not realizing that it's a legit WellCare call if they thought everything was fine as I did (and could not find that number on the WellCare website), but who is reporting that number as a fake IRS call?

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve got no idea how Aussies would go about reporting a number as a scam @John Brunner I’ve never seen any number advertised as a reporting hotline …..it would be interesting to find out not that I’d prob bother …I’m getting a few scam type emails I’m not sure where they are coming from ( investment schemes ) but I mark them as spam and they disappear

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have an agency that's called the Federal Trade Commission. They set up a Do Not Call registry that is supposed to prevent telemarketers from calling. It does not stop legitimate businesses, political organizations, charities, etc from calling, nor can it stop scammers from violating it, but it cuts back the volume. My number is registered, yet I still get calls selling extended warranties for my car. There is a way to report such potential violations of the Registry, but I've not done it.

Here are some Aussie resources:
    Australia Communications and Media Authority site to report a scam
    Australia Communications and Media Authority site to register your phone so telemarketers do not call you

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I kind of like the ones I can laugh at. The ones I don't like are those that might be true.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Every single day, I have 4 or 5 emails which are clearly scammers. I merely report them and delete them without even opening them.

7. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’m getting lots of junk in my inbox / emails at the moment I presume is scammers …I’ll deal with it after by reporting as spam and deleting ..,that one problem with using a iPad I can’t work out where spam is for I move to junk them use my old laptop to report to spam

John Brunner likes this.