Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - no garden here this year either, with eye surgery coming up he does not need to be doing that.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's too bad, G. Your hubby had such a nice garden last year, but I certainly understand that he doesn't need to be gardening this year. I hope his eye surgery goes well.

My little garden is doing really well but this is probably the last time I'll put one in.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today was a gorgeous day after a very stormy night. We got over 6" of rain overnight! One rain gauge was running over and it was high tide in the swimming pool this morning.

As usual I over-planted my raised garden beds and have a tomato plant jungle out there. I have cut down the yellow squash and zucchini bushes; they were good producers but the squash was getting leaf mold and we are tired of eating them. I put 5 quarts of squash in the freezer and have a crisper drawer full of zucchini in the fridge.

I resolved to get started back to exercising last February and have pretty much kept with it since then. My lofty goal was 30 minutes a day on the mini-trampoline but I do well to get 15 minutes. This old gal can't run with the big dogs any longer, y'all. I have noticed a nice improvement in my resting heart rate which is a bonus. And I haven't had those horrible body cramps in a while now... but I'm sure they'll be back. They like to lull me into thinking they are gone for good, then POW! :confused:

I have my annual checkup with my oncologist on May 10, as well as an ultrasound and a mammogram. I'm going to see what he thinks about the pain I've been having in my cancer side shoulder. I have read that many people have nerve/joint issues after radiation so I'd like to know what's going on in there. It is possibly arthritis but who knows. I'd like to have a bone scan of my neck, too. I have had disk problems for a while and my neck has been hurting. It's always something.

And speaking of doctors, my PCP retired a couple of weeks ago so now I have to go through the grueling process of finding a new one. Argh. I have already had a run-in with the office since she left. Express Scripts notified me that my BP medication has no refills left and the staff won't authorize a refill even though I saw her in February. :mad: I am trying to decide if I want to try to wean myself off of BP medication so I need to study up on how to accomplish that. Of course, sooner or later I'm going to need a PCP so I might as well get over myself and just schedule an appointment with some "unknown." It's not like I spend a lot of time there.

I don't know why everything has to be so damn annoying.

upload_2024-4-29_20-38-23.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Motherhelpers. :p

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Make and drink a tea of hibiscus flowers and beet root powder every day for a month and watch your BP. I don't toss the flowers, I just eat them. They are tangy and plump up during the day. I am sure there are other helps but not off the top of my head, this evening.
    Took hubby down 30 pts.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Where on earth do I get hibiscus flowers?? :D

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Amazon, from Egypt. Or you can grow your own and dry them:rolleyes:

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Did your retiring PCP not suggest a replacement? Often doctors who are retiring have a short list of other docs who are willing and able to take the patients of retirees. At least that is how it works up here.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Beets ahve been known for a while to reduce BP by increasing NO. I didn't know about hibiscus flowers, though. Good tip @Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My PCP was part of a "physician's group practice" where there are several doctors/NPs to choose from. They are associated with Houston Methodist Hospital system. She did mention that her replacement would be accepting new patients so I have made an appointment to 'test drive' her, but it's not until May 29.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I see about 4,000 kinds on Amazon. Can you recommend a brand? There are some that are tea bags; would that be easier to brew? Need more info!! :p

When you first posted "hibiscus flowers" I assumed you meant to go outside and pick some flowers to make tea. I had no idea they were a thing. :D

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My swear jar Is a twenty gallon garbage can and it's full!!!:)

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Take your BP meds. My father and my neighbor both got strokes from high BP. Their face became distorted and never returned to normal. They received treatment only to have a second and now are pushing up daisies. I take 3 different ones together and I whine and complain as I'm wont to do but they work.

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to agree with @Ed Wilson take your BP meds especially if your BP is irregular a lot of the time. You can space out taking them until your appointment when you can get a new script.