Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

-No household appliances
    -No heat
    -No a/c
    -No public or well water to drink, cook or flush toilets
    -No way to dispense gasoline in cars or in cans
    -No grocery stores (or any other stores)
    -No gasoline/diesel to delivery groceries
    -No hospitals

Those who live in West Virginia poverty would survive.
    City slickers would be the first to go.

The last shall be first, and the first last.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

O. M. G. I just got an automated call from Centerpoint Energy saying our "anticipated" restoration is Friday the 19th. GAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Then they had the gall to thank me for my patience and understanding. Obviously they do not know me.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

WOW!! So that will be 9 days total??????

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Beats me. Time has lost all relevance.

upload_2024-7-15_20-59-23.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, the 'cane was on July 8 so it will be 11 days. :confused: That is 14 years in Life W/O Electricity time.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just read other reports that utility crews are still being physically attacked while trying to restore power to Houston. Some of the crew members have been sent to the hospital and other have had their truck windshields broken and the equipment trashed. What do those people think they are trying to prove? The crew that were attacked said they were leaving Texas and would NEVER return. They said Texas can deal with its own outages from now on. Some are blaming the Houston city government officials, but I don't know anything about that. Make sense @Beth Gallagher ?

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

People are just crazy, Don. Sadly, society seems to have lost the small amount of civility that we oldies are clinging to.

When I look at the Reddit section for Houston, the amount of vitriol is off the charts. People are cruel and ugly... and somehow it is de rigueur to blame all of society's ills on a political party. Naturally the overwhelming majority of posts there are from liberal assholes who are blaming the hurricane on Gov. Abbott. He had the nerve to be out of the country when the storm hit so it was obviously a GOP conspiracy, etc. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was even a thread from some jackass who was FURIOUS that a young police officer's funeral procession had held up traffic on the interstate on Monday. (28 years old; killed in the line of duty) The posts in that thread made my blood run cold. Society has reached a new level of depravity in my opinion. I can't imagine being so out of touch with simple humanity. I found this totally demoralizing to read... https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/1e3tyr3/police_processions_should_be_illegal/

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Just reading the link is heartless. This just make me think of the times drivers don't pull over to let emergency vehicles through easily. The siren should be enough to seek an opening to let the vehicle pass but nooo the drivers have to honk the horn and weave in and out of traffic.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Someone is going to catch hell later for not getting power restored quicker. Just like Oncor when we were in Texas during the ice storm.Our area was only without power for 4 full days, the company caught much flake in not being able to restore sooner. Anyone attacking people who are merely trying to do their job, should be jailed.
    it is always something ain't it?

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, there is always the "blame game" after stuff like this. Angry people are usually difficult to deal with, so there's a lot of lashing out. Basically, people suck.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

What I read was blaming the Houston city officials, not the state officials. If Bush or Trump had been in the White House, it all would have been their fault.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Power is finally back on and things getting back to normal. The fence guy hasn't gotten to us yet but I'm sure his dance card is full.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yayyy!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Truth.

upload_2024-7-23_20-21-19.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have wrangled the Better Half into agreeing to help me with a general "spring cleaning in July". The dust bunnies are roaming free and it's time for action. We (well actually, "I") decided to take one room at a time and clean it from top to bottom, then move on to the next. Today we started in the den, cleaning wood blinds, 4 windows, baseboards, and the 2 back doors (one to outside and one to the garage). Pulled out the sofa and cleaned behind it, then did some mopping of the wood floors. We only got about halfway done; tomorrow we will tackle the ceiling fan and book cases.

I remember the days of working full time, attending kids' activities and school functions, cooking dinner every night, doing laundry for a family of 7, doing yard work and keeping the house spotless. (I will brag and say that I was a champion housekeeper in my day.) How did I do it? Where the hell did all my energy go??? Did I use it all up? Nowadays I observe dusty surfaces, avert my gaze and walk on by. :D Sometimes I adjust the blinds so that the sunlight doesn't reveal my habitual disinclination to exertion. :rolleyes:

In other news, my son and his family are coming to visit this weekend. My little granddaughter wants to spend some time with us so they will leave her here for a week or so. I'm thrilled to have her but I can't imagine why she wants to be with boring old people. :D She spent a week last summer and I worried the entire time that she was bored. Anyway, I'm excited that they are coming to visit.

All the repairs, painting and cleanup is finally done at my MIL's place and it has been listed for sale. Weird to see that house empty after all the years of family events that were held there. Kind of sad, really. My inlaws built the house in 1964. I'm wondering how my husband will react when it sells; I know he has deep attachment to the place since he grew up there.