Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting.

I've never seen this, but I've not eaten a lot of Korean food.

It looks "different." I guess the salt and the fish sauce are sufficient seasoning. Interesting she said it's just as good out of the fridge the next day.

ps: Congrats on having expired Kimchi. I had no idea such a thing was possible. You always raise the bar...

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There are several different recipes but all of them are simple. I saw one that uses a splash of soy sauce instead of the fish sauce, so that will probably be the way I go. Some are as simple as salt, sugar, eggs, water, and a garnish. I'm watching a video on how to care for the Ttukbaegi and I'm glad I did. Apparently you shouldn't use dishwashing liquid in them because they are porous like a pizza stone. Who knew??

And yeah. Whodathunk kimchi would expire??? Probably just that hokey "sell by" date but I'm like you with the sour cream. :D

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Whew, what a day; I'm all tuckered out from watching the robo-vac clean the house. :D I wish it could clean the bathrooms.

IMG_9501.jpg

My sweet husband picked up dinner so I've been hugging the recliner for most of the day. I went outside for about 2 minutes but it's too hot and humid out there so back to the recliner. At least I've been up and down the stairs about 10 times, so that should count for something.

And true to form, I totally forgot that I was going to make Korean Steamed Eggs today. I suppose that will sound good again in another 6 months or so. The excitement around here is palpable.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Because I know everyone is hanging on the edge of their seat over Korean Steamed Eggs, I found this video for Chinese Steamed Eggs. Looks amazing similar but no "ttukbaegi" required. This guy seems to know what he's doing. (3 min vid)

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Chinese flan. What's next...General Franco's Chicken???

I love the use of the canning jar tongs to get the dish out of the wok. I'll have to try this recipe.

For some reason, Serious Eats has been on a Filipino recipe kick the past few weeks. I made Veggie & Shrimp Fritters (that's what got me on the search for cane vinegar.) They were not real good but had potential. I immediately had some ideas on how to change the process. When I went on the web, there were other recipes that were basically done the way I was thinking of making them...and there were other recipes that were way different than either the original way or my modified way. So many foods have their regional and even household variants, huh?

(S.E. did post a recipe for sweet Filipino Pandesal rolls that are on the runway for the immediate future.)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm still trying to figure out how the savory custard will work. I love egg custard or flan but it's always a sweet. I'm going to have to break down and try this. It's not like it's hard. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

...and no fish sauce. Just "oil" and soy sauce. I'd use sesame oil...and maybe a little hot chili oil. Kinda put some Asian tabasco on it.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It kind of surprises me that they put so much water into this dish, though. I think the version using chicken stock might be a good sub for water, but who knows.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Good point. One recipe is Korean, one is Chinese. As I said, I've neither eaten nor cooked much Korean, so I don't know the differences. And it could just be the way each of them grew up having it, nationalities notwithstanding.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today was boring. I slept late and have been putzing around, getting nothing accomplished.

My husband has been having some gastro issues and will have a colonoscopy on Wednesday. I don't envy him going through the "prep" on Tuesday. I'm just hoping they don't find any issues; he had a colonoscopy in 2017 with no polyps or anything. I'm not able to accompany him to the hospital on Wednesday so his brother-in-law has volunteered to go with him, thank goodness.

Things are getting ugly with our recently-deceased nephew's estate. I will never understand why people behave so badly over stuff like this. Between his 3 daughters and his ex-wife, there is a regular sideshow of ugly going on. Glad I don't have anything to do with that mess; there'd be some doling out of bitch-slaps.*

* Internet tough-guy. :p

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've been feeling down in the dumps and generally grumpy for the past several days. I woke up with a gout flare in my left big toe joint so the hits just keep on comin'. Usually Naproxin will knock it back but I hate taking more drugs to over load my poor liver and kidneys, so I'm drinking lots of water and whining. I think I'm going to have to take the Naproxin and let the chips fall where they may.

Yesterday I received a package from my nephew's widow (my nephew who died a few months ago.) My sister told her I was having surgery next month so she sent me a "recovery package" with some beautiful Barefoot Dreams pieces: a hoodie, nightgown, 2 pairs of fuzzy socks, and some bath products. It was such a wonderful and generous surprise. People have really gone out of their way with kindness for me since I was diagnosed and it's a little humbling.

A bit of good news this week; my hubby's GI tests found no issues whatsoever, thank goodness. Now if he'd only put down the cigarettes but I suppose that's not going to happen.

I'm already dreading next week; my final chemo infusion is on Thursday. I've been thinking about whether I want to "ring the bell" signaling the end of chemo treatment but I don't like to call attention to myself. Also I wonder if that's tempting fate but I'm probably putting too much thought into something trivial... as usual.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - sounds like your getting closer to being finished with all this mess. ring the bell, you deserve to be noticed :)

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Gloria--I wish. Next I have a mastectomy (August 23) and when that heals a bit, it's on to radiation. This entire year will be dedicated to cancer treatment. I'm just SO GLAD that chemo is almost in the rear-view. None of this crap is a party, but chemo truly SUCKS.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Seems like my sleep/wake cycle gets more wonky with each passing day. I stay up later and sleep later, which after a while I suppose could keep rotating until I'm in the "normal" range again. :rolleyes: Saturday night I actually stayed up ALL NIGHT; my husband woke up at 7:30 Sunday morning and I was still watching "Castle Rock" on Hulu. o_O

I decided to just stay up so that MAYBE I'd go to bed at a reasonable hour but by 9 a.m. I couldn't take it any longer and I took a "nap." Sigh. Guess it's time to set an alarm so that I can force myself to get up at a reasonable time... but honestly, who cares? The only time this is an issue is when I have to be at MD Anderson for some ungodly early appointment.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Ugh, what a day. I'm still in "night owl" mode so even though I went to bed around 1 a.m. last night I was still awake at 5 a.m. I had to set an alarm to get up at 7:30 for a doctor appointment, so I felt like crap warmed over all day with 2 hours of sleep. I was so cranky at my doctor's office that I snapped at the NP. I guess I'm going to have to start setting an alarm every morning for a while and avoid naps to try to fix my sleep pattern. :confused:

In other news, I made a kick-ass meatloaf for dinner. Meatloaf is like a lottery ticket; sometimes a hit but mostly a miss. I didn't follow any recipe; just tossed stuff in a bowl and hoped for the best. Anyway, it turned out really tasty so we'll be having meatloaf sandwiches in a day or so.

Tomorrow is my oldest son's birthday. Seems like only yesterday that I was sniffing that little head, kissing precious little toes, and rocking for hours. You are my greatest accomplishment, Brian. Happy birthday son.