Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That would be me. Dark meat has more flavor and is moister. That being said, I use white meat when I make chicken soup, stew, chicken salad sandwiches, quesadillas, etc. But for eating the meat as the main course with taters & veggies, I'll take a thigh any day of the week.

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Another day, another excuse for not rearranging cabinets. :D I did manage to make a space for my new dutch oven, though. So that's something. Then I got on Amazon and ordered yet another piece of LeCreuset. :rolleyes: I think I'm making up for all the shopping I missed this year while sitting at MD Anderson.

One of my friends drove over this evening and parked in my driveway, then she called me. She said she was leaving a gift for me on the porch but she would not come inside since she had her baby granddaughter with her, so we waved at each other through the window. We had stopped exchanging gifts years ago so this was totally unexpected. She's a good friend and has the biggest heart. She lived across the street from me for several years and we got into a lot of mischief together; I miss those days.

Anyway, the gift is so totally "not me". I appreciate the thought very much but she really shouldn't have. It's a woven ruana that I will never wear; it's exactly like this one but mine is a black/ivory plaid. I'm so short that the fringes hang nearly to the floor. I need to be "willowy" for this and at 5'2", willowy is hard to pull off.

upload_2021-12-20_0-49-9.png

So now I feel bad that I don't have a gift for her. :(

I'm so aggravated by Roku. When I try to watch a movie on the Roku channel, the sound is always annoying. Like the movie sound is so low that I have to turn the volume way up, and then when a commercial comes on it jolts me out of my chair. There is one Volvo commercial in particular that is like a sonic boom in the living room. :mad: I tried making some audio adjustments in the settings but what an exercise in futility. So I suppose I'll just avoid the Roku channel. Problem solved.

Yvonne Smith and Tony Page like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today was a good day. Beautiful weather, and I got a lot done. Christmas is all wrapped up and set to go. We aren't having a get-together at our house this year; I'm still not up for it. Ever since the children were little we've had a family party on Christmas Eve. Even after they were all married and the grandchildren started coming along we still had our get-together. Unfortunately Covid and cancer conspired to mess things up for last year, and again this year.

The grocery store is having a sale on prime rib this week so I added one to my grocery order and it came today. With the cost of meat these days I'm surprised they didn't deliver it in an armored car. I will cook it for New Years Eve though it's quite large for just the two of us. I forgot to order horseradish so I need to put that in my next order.

The delivery carriers are bringing lots of "stuff" this week. We're getting packages from the kids and the usual junk that I order. We had UPS, Fedex, and the mailman stopping by today. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

I've been trying to exercise more recently but today I'm tired for some reason; I just feel weary and my joints ache. I've lost about 3 pounds in the past month or so, so I guess the fruitcake isn't hurting anything. :D Speaking of fruitcake, I hear the coffeepot calling so it must be time for dessert.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, we finally had time to deal with the SYNC system replacement and it was done today. Final cost = $1800. :confused:

5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Why do I think your problem isn't over?

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't know. Why do you?

Ed Wilson and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Objection your honor, calls for speculation. :)

Beth Gallagher and Ed Wilson like this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Unexpected consequences. For instance, my Impreza had a recall for the fuel pump. Although mine worked fine, I took it in anyway. When it was replaced, the gas gauge would only read 3/4 although it was full. Unexpected consequence. The warranty expired and I would have had to pay for them to look at it and waste a day in the process. I just go fill up every 250 miles now. The gas gauge moves but never reads full.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I prefer not to go looking for trouble. So if there is an issue with the replacement SYNC module I'll just drive over there and show my ass.* :D

* I excel at this. No brag, just fact.

Ed Wilson, Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Random Thoughts:

I'll be glad when the holidays are over. Since becoming a grownup, holidays just don't hold the same appeal as when I was 6 and waiting for Santa. Of course when our kids were small it was just as fun "being" Santa; just to see those little expectant faces on Christmas morning and hearing the excited squeals. Now I'm an old humbug.

I've been feeling a little down this week; I guess the fact that I was diagnosed with cancer about this time last year makes me introspective. I was so terrified of dying that I could barely breathe, but I have to admit that the experience gave me a new perspective on death. I've always maintained that I am not afraid to die but I am afraid of how I will die. So now it seems I know how I will die. I just hope it doesn't hurt. But, enough of that.

Last week I bought a prime rib roast (over 5 pounds :eek:) to cook for New Year's Eve. I have it thawing for tomorrow. I'll make twice-baked potatoes and broccolini to go with it, and maybe some popovers. We have a bottle of champagne though I don't really like champagne... so I'll have beer in my champagne glass. :D Then I'll have to figure out what to do with 4 pounds of leftover prime rib.

For New Years Day, we'll have blackeyed peas (for luck), sauteed cabbage (for wealth), and ham (just because I like ham.) I'll also make cornbread and maybe some cranberry sauce. I have this weird hankering for cranberries. :confused:

Today my husband proved once again what a sweetheart he is. He took his 87-year old mother shopping for new bras. :D (MIL has slight dementia and is hard of hearing. I'm imaging lots of yelling in the Intimates Section at Kohl's.) What a guy.

Faye Fox, Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

UGH!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

:eek::D

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Don't make me play the cancer card!! How are you, girl? I hope you had a great Christmas.

Ruby Begonia and Faye Fox like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Call the factory's Customer Service. Explain that it's a common issue and you are just out of warranty. Many times they will at least split the cost with you.

Never mind. I just reread your post. It's late. I'll shut up.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for sharing that confession. I also excel at such behavior even though it is a butt ugly thing for me to do at my age. o_O:)