Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

We are plagued with goatheads because we are desert land. Anywhere that isn't watered is ruled by the thorny little devils. Years ago some scientists in the area developed a weevil to eat goatherds. They were successful in controlling large concentrated areas for a couple of years, but the problem was that a buried goathead can be buried and sprout 10 years later. I think maybe a lot longer than that. I have one strip alongside my property that is unwatered. I controlled it for 20 years with a double-strength Roundup. Then the city claimed a right of way on it and while I still pay taxes on it, I was prohibited from spraying it. The goatheads took over the next spring and after some harsh amplitude unregulated carelessly worded conversations, the city finally gave me permission to use a weedeater only (at my expense and personal pain) to control these dinosaur weeds. They are supposed to maintain them on their right of ways, but alas they were unfunded in that department.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It has been overcast and threatening rain for 2 days, but so far none to speak of. I decided to work in the flower beds a bit today, getting them weeded. I also planted some elephant ear bulbs that were beginning to get buds while still in the bags they came in. Planted those along the back fence where we still have bare spots from the Great Freeze of '21. Then I repotted a big aloe vera plant that had outgrown its pot and produced about a dozen "babies".

The adorable puppy next door (Maggie) was scratching at the wood fence and softly "woofing" at me. I wanted to get a hammer and knock the picket down so she could come and visit, but I resisted. :D She's just the cutest thing ever.

Decided to make a loaf of bread and for the first time tried winging it as far as a recipe. I guess I've made enough loaves now to know approximate measures of stuff, so I dumped everything in the machine and let 'er rip. I decided to use a tablespoon of honey in the dough instead of sugar. Smells pretty good in here!

I'm re-reading an old Stephen King novel, The Stand. I used to be such a King groupie, waiting anxiously for his next book to be released. As with most things, the first were the best and I haven't really cared for his later works. He's quite wordy and tends to have too many characters to sort out. I guess my senior brain doesn't want to have to remember 25 characters and who they are exactly. So, I'm enjoying The Stand but I still find myself 'fast forwarding' through some parts. :D

So this has been a "piddle around" day. Doesn't seem like Easter weekend, but since all the kids got grown the holidays haven't been the same.

The better half is picking up BBQ for dinner so no cooking today.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The "Shining" was my favorite read of Kings. I made it through Pet Cemetery but was never inspired for a second read. Snow and freezing rain here all day so no energy or attitude to even piddle. I am dual-tasking watching The Repair Shop and causing hate and discontent on the internet simultaneously. Your bread-making almost inspires me to make some brownies.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I liked The Shining, too. I liked most of his earlier stuff, and most of the movies made from them.

The bread turned out pretty well, but it's cooling and I haven't sliced it yet.

bread.jpg

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That bread looks good. I would love to apply some Tillamook butter to it. :) Do you find The Stand similar to what has happened starting in 2019?

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The bread is quite good, actually. :D (I have been sampling.)

Well, The Stand does feature a pandemic that is killing off the population... but that's where the similarities end. It quickly veers off into the super-natural whereas the Covid19 veered into government control of our lives. Of course that's a bit on the "horror story" side now that I consider it.

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I was comparing the fact that in both cases, a pandemic caused a division among the people. The internet wars over covid seem almost supernatural to me. I mean look at Don Lemon and the hate mongers on the view. They don't seem human to me. They seem to be untouchable and unable to think like a human.

Maybe Dr. Peter Beter was right that Robotrons do exist. Maybe Biden died and is replaced by a Robotron. All the time he was hidden in the basement they were making a Biden Robotron. I am still amazed that none of our forum's conspiracy theorists knows about the former king of the conspiracy theorists, Dr. Peter Beter :D I never took Dr. Beter seriously, because anyone that has a rhyming name like that and doesn't change it, I can't take seriously.

I agree that Steven King in more recent stories has way too many characters for my liking. He does a masterful job of developing them all, but a bit much for me to follow unless I take notes and read the book in one sitting.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today was a good day; we got a lot done in the back yard and things are looking pretty good out there. I felt like @Yvonne Smith when I headed out into the sunshine this morning... "yippee!" The pool water is still pretty cold but we'll be able to get in soon, which will be great.

We haven't put out any vegetable plants but I may decide to go get a few tomato sets and maybe a cucumber or two. We have several birdhouses in the yard, and yesterday a couple of little sparrows were checking them out. They selected one that is pretty close to the patio and were busy all day, carrying twigs and whatever inside to build their nest. So cute! I just hope that we don't disturb them as we go in and out the back door. We spend a lot of time on the patio so I'm worried that they'll abandon the nest after all that work.

I was raking mulch along the back fence and raked up a little ribbon snake. I don't know which one of us was more surprised, but he slithered under the fence and made his escape. Actually he was safe; I only murder the copperheads that I usually find in that mulch. :D

I had a pint of fresh blueberries so I whipped up another cobbler. It was a pretty good day.

cobbler.jpg

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, y'all are going to think I read too many Stephen King books, but this freaks me out. The upstairs bedroom where I sleep overlooks our backyard and I can see the neighbor's patio behind us. That house is owned by an old couple who are in their 90s now and have moved to an assisted living facility, so no one is living there.

Their son oversees the property and has the lawn mowed, etc. and he leaves a light on their covered patio 24 hours a day, so it is lit up at night. Each night when I close the blinds in that room, I look down on their patio and I could swear there is a man sitting on their outdoor sofa, staring up at my window. It freaks me out because I KNOW there isn't anyone there, but the lighting and the shadows just look freaky. :eek:

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Are you sure no one is there? Really sure? What is our vision but lighting and shadows? Just an illusion maybe an apparition you assume, but are you sure? Perhaps someone is there and your assumptions are just denial for your peace of mind.

Forget Stephen King, I am getting into The Porch by Beth Gallagher.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Haha! Yep, I'm sure. It's the exact same thing every night... no matter if it's just after sundown or 1 a.m.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I just tossed "The Porch" into my donation box thanks to that spoiler! :D Another good read bites the dust! :(

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Good heavens; we got 3" of rain yesterday. A front pushed through with lots of thunder, lightening, and a deluge... then the temperature dropped about 15 degrees. So at least I didn't have to water plants today.

I'm excited because my hair is finally long enough to get it cut and shaped. I'm really tired of this "dandelion gone to seed" thing going on on my head. I used to have nice hair but now I've got this fuzzy mess to deal with. I suppose I should be happy to have hair but dang. Anyway... I have a hair appointment tomorrow, so yippee. I shall expect miracles.

I was checking Amazon for a new doormat and saw this one...

upload_2022-4-26_23-24-42.png

So I ordered it for my youngest son. He's getting it tomorrow so I can't wait for that phone call. :D:D (He was voted the one most likely to serve time by his brothers and sisters, haha.) We have a fun family.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Beth, perhaps He was sent to watch over you ;)

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm the same way. I have read very little of what he has written in the past several years.