Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I get reminders from merchants/websites when my credit card is hitting its expiration date. There's one that requires you to reenter the entire card# rather than just update the date. Besides Walmart and Amazon, I only have one other website that has my cc info. I try to be careful to not let other websites keep it.

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I use Paypal on the Walmart website, and my credit card is the payment method on Paypal. I prefer using Paypal as opposed to entering credit card information on different websites. I find that browsers now try to save credit card info which I find extremely annoying.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. John Brunner

I'm already ambivalent about letting Firefox save my passwords. I don't let it keep the passwords for my financial stuff...those get manually entered with a validation code sent to my cell (I never let it "Remember My Machine.")

Health care websites either keep my card# when I pay my copay (meaning I gotta call them to delete it), or they aggressively ask "Are you sure????" when I decline to save it.

I won't use PayPal if I can avoid it because they contribute to anti-Second Amendment organizations..

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - yes he had a will ..too much for on here... i might email it to you.. its a nightmare

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I always wondered upload_2024-1-8_2-36-39.jpeg ? Is there a problem? Am I bothering you? When I'm ready I'll answer that question, wait, can you even hear me if I do? Oh, you're just be nosy, again. :rolleyes:

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

In a way it benefits the customer, particularly if bills are on auto-pay using the card. We have a few of those and I wouldn't want any insurance policy or utility or my credit rating to take a hit due to an expired card.

8. John Brunner

Yeh, I got to thinking about this, and there are quite a few I have set up to pay the same way...it's not just Amazon and Walmart that have my card on file. I keep track of what they are, but the Expiry things only rolls around every 3 years so I cannot recall if they all notify me or if I'm proactive about updating, or some combination of the two. I believe I have received an email for a declined charge, with the request to remediate the issue.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I basically use only one credit card for autopay stuff; the one that pays nice "cash back". I keep track of the expiration date and a list of the autopay items (car insurance, cable bill, etc. so I can make sure they all get updated. I have wondered about how difficult this stuff will be if I start having memory/ cognitive difficulties or if I should die and someone else would need to figure it out. Of course I'd be dead so my credit rating would be the least of my worries.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I giggled at this at first thinking how blunt we get when we are older about the truth.

11. John Brunner

I use two credit cards because one of them gives me a higher rebate for Utilities (electric, cell phone, internet.)

My concern for those coming behind me are not only the credit card and checking Auto Pay bills, but any paperless statement I signed up for. I've often wondered if an Estate Administrator could go to the IRS or some other agency to find out where the deceased has banking/investment assets. When my mother died, we only became aware of some of her stuff (assets and liabilities) because statements arrived in the mail box.

I don't have anyone I would share this info or my password with, and and such list would have to be updated.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So the Comcast repair guy got here about 2 hours ago, in the middle of a stormy deluge. It was blowing so hard that the rain was sideways. He tested a few outlets and decided that the cable from their big box thing (in the neighbor's yard behind us) needed to be replaced. He drove around the block to connect to that thing and just as he returned our power went out. :rolleyes: So he got the new cable run and connected (outside) but had no way to verify whether that fixed anything so he left, promising that they would "send someone" to bury the new cable in a couple of days.

Darkness has descended so I lit some candles and have a couple of lamps on those "Halo Bolt" power supply things. I'm using my cellphone as a hotspot for internet access. The power company just left an automated phone message that they expect to have power restored in about an hour from now. I made a pot of drip coffee (thank you, gas stove) and we are sitting and listening to the neighbor's generator.

I hear thunder rolling so we may be about to get another line of stormy weather coming through ahead of the cold front.

14. John Brunner

Weren't you working on getting a whole house generator?

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, but you know life happens. It is on the "back burner."

John Brunner likes this.