Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It depends on the channel; some have perfectly clear sound and others are terrible. I don't pay much attention to commercials.

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I, too, block them out, but the suggestion is just a way to determine if it is your signal, your device, or your heado_O

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We have been working in the yard today; doing some cleanup of flower beds and potted plants that need trimming. It's a gorgeous day and I'm ready to get some gardening started. I have several seed trays with little seedlings sprouted, plus today I started a few more including the potato seeds. We need to go to the garden center and pick up some bags of garden soil.

I put a pot roast in the crockpot so that will be an easy dinner. It's just one of those "puttering around the place" days.

Tomorrow I go for my annual PCP visit. I am sad because my favorite doctor is retiring next month so this is probably my last visit with her. I know she is ready to retire so I'm happy for her but sad for me. I really hate the process of finding a new doctor.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I felt the exact same way when my PCP of 25 years retired.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm tired. We are having our backyard wood fence replaced and the crew arrived bright and early. Then the power went out. :mad: Luckily I had my cup of black coffee before that happened. I usually put half-and-half in my coffee but I was fasting for blood work later today.

Went to see my PCP at 1:00 p.m. We had a very nice visit; she is psyched about her upcoming retirement. She is 66 and her last day at work is April 25. I whined about discontinuing Metoprolol and she agreed to reduce my dose to 25 mg. I am somewhat convinced that the beta blocker may be contributing to my muscle cramping issue so we'll see. I have to take my BP readings and record them for 2 weeks.

She also recommended that I check with the palliative care group at MDA. She thinks they may have some help for lingering "parting gifts" from cancer treatment. I guess it couldn't hurt so I will see what my oncologist says. Oh, and I have gained 4 pounds so time to step away from the bread machine. :confused:

We gave each other a hug and I wished her well. Then I went next door to the lab and had blood drawn.

I checked the BC forum a while ago and see that a woman who went through treatment with me (and for the same kind of cancer) is having scans on Friday with suspected bone metastasis. UGH. I HATE CANCER. :mad::mad: I said a prayer for her and I hope someone hears me.

Time to go soak in the tub and contemplate the meaning of life.... or the leftover coconut pie in the fridge.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The fence crew is finishing up and packing to leave. New fence looks really nice but wow, is it $$$. In years past my husband always built and repaired the fence but this time we needed to have the old posts removed and they are sunk in concrete. He didn't want to have to dig them out and then try to figure out what to do with big clumps of concrete and a giant pile of old wood fencing. So we took the easy way out.

I got my lab results and a message from my doctor last night. Looks like my A1C is back in the "pre-diabetes" range and my cholesterol is high, but not as high as last year. I had "pre-diabetes" several years ago and was able to get my glucose back in a good range by eating low carb for a few months and adding some routine exercise to my day. So... it's back to a low-carb diet. :confused:

Low carb is OK with me because I am such a carnivore, but I do love bread and starches so that's my challenge. I'll be avoiding white foods... flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, etc. :( I'll be trying to spend 30 minutes a day on my mini-trampoline and I need to order a new glucose meter and some testing strips.

As far as the cholesterol, I have once again refused statins. With the muscle cramping and spasms that I already have I am not going to take something to make that worse. So maybe the low carb diet will help those numbers as well.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Not much going on around here. It was rainy and cool-ish today so I just piddled around inside. I made more "egg bites" this morning with swiss cheese, chopped ham and a little bit of spinach. So far I am enjoying experimenting with those.

I have to say, the low carb thing is a huge drag. I am not enthusiastic about cooking which is weird because I love to cook. :( My glucose numbers had better improve is all I can say.

We had another weirdo on our Ring video recordings a couple of nights ago. This time it was a young woman who knocked on the door around midnight. I heard the knock and checked the Ring app to see who was there, but I didn't open the door. (Husband sawing logs on the sofa with TV blaring.) She knocked again and then wandered off down the street.

She appeared to be wearing a backpack and carrying some kind of duffle bag. She seemed to be alone but who knows. I am too suspicious to open my door at night; if it's not a neighbor or one of my kids then forget it. Anyway, who knew that the Ring camera would pick up all these nocturnal events that I might have otherwise missed?? :D (Plus all the raccoons and neighborhood cats that stroll around... sorry, Von!!)

OK, this is weird. In that last paragraph where I typed "duffle" it is underlined in red like a misspelling. When I left click on it, the drop-down suggests "duffel." Whaaaaa?

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I never thought I would say that I'm tired of meat, but apparently the day has finally come. Without pasta, bread, rice, or potatoes my meals have turned into "meat and salad." Such a drag, I gotta say. One plus is that I seem to have lost my interest in food as well as my appetite... I'm never hungry.

I lost about 5 pounds in the past week, probably mostly water. Which seems to be helping the swelling in my arm so woo-hoo. If low-carb helps the lymphedema then I will be committing myself to it. I have tested my blood sugar an hour or so after meals and it is in the low-normal range so I don't believe I have any real damage to my pancreas going on. It seems that the insulin I'm producing is sufficient as long as I avoid Things I Actually Love to EAT. :confused:

Husband is over at his mother's house again. The contractor is installing some new sheetrock in a couple of rooms and getting ready to paint the interior. Once the remaining "stuff" is finally out the house will be sold and that should wrap up the estate.

I'm thinking about buying "my last car" but I can't get enthusiastic about visiting car dealerships. You can bet that it will be a gasser if/when it happens. I know it will not have that stupid engine off/on when stopping, either. I have always loved the Chevy Tahoe and I have had a couple of them; the last was in 2008. Maybe I need one more gas-guzzler as my final "middle finger" to the EVs. :D

9. John Brunner

How's your energy level?

Re: "last car." I make my last payment on my 2019 Mazda this month. There will be no more for me, unless this one takes a poop. There are Technical Service Bulletins that say this model may be prone to cracked blocks. :mad: At least Mazda is good when it comes to working with customers if this stuff happens out of warranty.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - still worried about you. Buying a car with your lack of joy and energy might not be a good idea right now. Want a gummie :D:D:D

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have owned two Mazdas and loved them both--an RX7 in the 80's and a 626 in the early 90's. I may take a look at them again; they are vastly underrated IMO.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

LOL. I never wait for something to be a good idea, G. Life's too short.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's OK but not great. :confused: I am really getting concerned about the muscle spasms, and I have to beat back the "the cancer is in my spine", thoughts. I guess I'm going to have to make an appointment for some scans and to see an oncology neurologist.

14. John Brunner

I wondered if your dietary changes have made a difference. I think if I cut back the refined stuff, I'd have more energy.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I haven't noticed any significant difference. I'm a lot more irritable, though!! :D:D

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.