Self Check Out -vs- Store Cashier Line

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I almost exclusively use self checkout unless there's a compelling reason to avoid it. I bet I only use the regular line twice a year, if it's even that often. I like bagging my stuff the way I want it. I organize it for easy unpacking when I get home. I put all my fridge stuff together, bag the things that are for future use together to put it in storage, etc.

The only one I dislike is Kroger's, and that's because I use the coupons they send me. When you use a coupon at Kroger, the computer stops until the Self Checkout Monitor Person (SCMP) takes your coupons from your hands and then unpauses the computer so you can continue on to the Payment part. The computer verifies that you've scanned the proper items so as to qualify for the discount, and I guess the SCMP takes the coupons so you don't use them again and again. So there can be a delay as you wait for the SCMP to come over.

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

What if you change your mind and put the item back on the shelf?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. John Brunner

Why hasn't it worked, Tony?

For a moment I thought you were in New Jersey and not New York, and was gonna comment on Jersey's ban on self-serve gas stations so as to protect jobs...and I wondered if that was behind the ban on self-checkouts at the grocery store.

Tony Page, Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I read the article about 3 years ago when they opened the first one in Seattle and I can’t remember a lot about it but it was either taking the item out of the basket or putting it back on the shelf that took it off the ticket.

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't use self check out and I still pack my own stuff the way I want it, I have to supply my own bags or purchase them. The stores I go are they don't pack the items for you have to do-it-yourself.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We're being told large amount of losses, Somehow shoplifters have been able to get around the system. That hasn't been anything officially released by the stores explaining why they're doing this, employees claim is because of theft.
    When I worked as a young man at the checkout in a grocery store, I can tell you the employees stole more than the customers.I Remember one employee who would not give the receipt to the customer For small amount of items, Later during break would shop for For the same priced items, So at the end of the shift had a receipt to show the security guard. The most common item that was bought was the coffee that was on sale that week It would be 49 cents for a "full" pound, Customers would run in just for the coffee sale And he keep the receipt for the Security guard. I know this because after a week we kinda became friendly, And he taught me these tricks to "make extra money". There were other Is schemes That he showed me to Actually get cash, But I wasn't interested.
    It was the same thing when I worked as a manager in a department store, I became friends with the security shopper who said 75% of all stolen item were taken by employees.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

Yup.

Internal Shrinkage is greater than Shoplifting.

Bobby Cole, Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Almost impossible to find a checker in any store in my area any more.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think Amazon has closed several of those stores; don't know why.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to Walmart this morning (gasp) and used a self-checkout. It was easy and fast, and I enjoyed sailing past those lines for the manned checkouts.

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't mind the self checkouts for a few items, but for a cart full, no thanks!

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  12. John Brunner

I gotta think that an Amazon storefront could not compete with their online selves.

Someone here or on another forum recently mentioned that they need to bring back those catalog stores, where there is a sample of each item on the floor, and the things you decide to buy are delivered from the stockroom once you check out. It's about as low cost retail as you're gonna get...you need less square footage, the risk of theft is markedly lower since there is no floor inventory, and you can chain down the display models.

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I always like the catalog stores I used to shop there frequently.

14. John Brunner

Yup. We had Bell, Belk, Service Merchandise, and maybe others I cannot recall. I always "felt" like it was a bargain place.

I worked for a company that got started selling through Service Merchandise.

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We had the service merchandise, I would get a catalog in the mail With sales, Or go to the store where they had multiple catalogs on desk For your review.
    The Penny's Department store by us Also had An area within the department store for calolog ordering, They had an assortment of catalogs For different categories, Like outdoor, Furniture, household, etc., The various catalogs were in the wall display where you can grab what You wanted For review at home.