Self Check Out -vs- Store Cashier Line

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Thinking about it we also had a catalog store called consumer distributor I believe.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OMG, I used to LOVE Service Merchandise and I was so sad when they closed. I could always find something in that store that I wanted... usually jewelry. :D

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For the last few years, i have been doing all of my shopping at the little Walmart grocery because it is the closest store to us, and occasionally using the large walmart when we needed to go there anyway. At first, we did the order online and then drive-through pick up ; but last year Walmart+ had a half price special and I signed up for that.
    Since then, we mostly have our groceries delivered, which saves Bobby from having to take me to the store to shop.

Today, I needed fresh milk to make kefir, and we drove to the store, since you have to have at least a $35 order online. Walmart has changed all (except one) of their checkout stands to self-pay, which I hate.
    When we got home, I decided to look at Kroger’s delivery plan, and I am going to try their one month free trial, and probably sign up for that instead of renewing the Walmart+ plan.

Kroger has 2 plans, one for next-day delivery (which works fine for me), and one for same day delivery, and the next day plan is about half the price of Walmar+ for a year. My walmart plan expires later this fall, and I just think that I would be happier not supporting a store that has eliminated all of their cashiers.

4. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm late to this party but felt compelled to reply. I will happily go through their self check out and do the best I can. I'm a honest guy but missing a can of beans is not going to stress me in the least. In fact, if I don't do the job to the satification of the store they can fire me.

Just for context I was not always like this. Stress was my first AND second name. Since retirement and a health scare I let it roll off my back. Now I just smile and use more visine :D

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was once loading my bags into my car and found a toilet brush under them all I had forgotten to pay for. I tore off the UPC code, put it in my wallet, then scanned it the next time I was in there. I wasn't gonna go back in and stand in line just for that one item.

6. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

Kudos John, but along with being honest I'm also lazy and if they hire a lazy, hazy senior to sling groceries..........that's exactly what they get:)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just a little news;
    Alde’s has bought up 400 Winn Dixie and Harvey’s grocery stores and is vowing to never have self check-out.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

There are a few places that I no longer shop at because of their overuse of self-checkouts, or rather, their active discouragement of cashier-supported checkouts. We quit Sam's Club because they had cut down to only one cashier booth, which was frequently un-staffed, and joined BJs instead. BJs has self-checkout counters but they also have several ones where you can pay for your stuff the normal way.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have begun not shopping at places that require you to scan your driver's license for anything. Kroger began that with liquor and any age-restricted items such as tobacco, and now matches and lighters. We still buy some stuff there, but nothing that is behind glass (unless it is very valuable) or age-restricted. I don't object to showing the license, but I don't know what info they are grabbing when they scan it. It also causes delays when we go through the self-checkout. Our Kroger affiliate is Fred Meyer which is based in Washington, so we have to live by Washington state rules when we shop there.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Kroger and Walmart have announced that they will be scaling back their emphasis on self-checkouts due to customer dissatisfaction.

11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Our Walmart is an absolute mess. One self check out and one cashier check out. It used to be a lovely store and it is huge. Far too large for lack of efficient checking out. Now, they are almost finished with a brand-new Michaels store right next to Walmart, and Dollar General is on the other side, so, I should think they would re-assess their situation and start using more cashiers.

12. John Brunner

I cannot imagine what those lines must be like. There were gonna put a Super Walmart in my county, but down-scaled it at the last minute. Even at that, the self-checkout corral has 6 registers (the recently expanded it to 9) plus at least 3 regular registers always staffed, and there are still lines at all of them. I wonder if your Walmart cannot find people who want to work. The gotta be losing business, unless all stores are like that there.

And congrats on the Michaels. I like craft stores, if you don't mind smelling like potpourri the rest of the day. ;)

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  13. John Brunner

I had an interesting experience at the Kroger self-checkout this afternoon.

I use my own bags because Kroger started charging for them. I was hanging my bag on the rack that senses when you bag an item, and I got the message to "Make Sure To Scan Your Items Before Bagging Them." I guess I put a little pressure on the internal scale. The message went away and I finished scanning & bagging. I hit the Pay Now button, and got a message that said "Help Is On The Way." The Self Checkout person came over, scanned her ID Card, and the monitor played the Overhead Security Camera recording of the exact moment I hung the bag on the rack!!! I guess if I had tried to sneak in a head of lettuce without scanning it, I would have been busted.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.