Seniors Only Club's Green New Deal

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Joe is elected to represent his state. He happenscto havecthoughts about protecting those people from outrageous government policies. He's not a minion of industry unlike you whovappesr to be a minion of the "progressive" movement that believes in unicorns.

2. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Gas taxes go for road and infrastructure upkeep, but are insufficient for that purpose. Which is why Biden has pushed for his infrastructure bill.

OPEC is more of a 'culprit' when it comes to rising gas prices, making the US economy vulnerable to foreign economic manipulation. Which is one of the reasons why Biden has pushed for the development of new green technologies.

I agree that fossil fuels aren't going away anytime soon. Industry minions like Joe Manchin will make sure nothing constructive gets done

3. Al Amoling

Registered

You're quite free with your characterization of people. Are you a "progressive"?

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It makes a lot of sense to cut oil production in the United States and then encourage OPEC to drill more oil. This has no effect on global oil production but it hurts not only the Americans who work in the industry but everyone in higher oil prices.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Janice Lynne

Registered

Green technologies are not 'unicorns'. They are amazing scientific breakthroughs capable of transforming the planet for the better, whether before the Great Decimation or after it. In any case, all of us will be long gone.

6. Janice Lynne

Registered

And you are quite free with your sarcasm.

7. Al Amoling

Registered

Asyou said in another thread that's just an opinion. Amazing scientific breakthroughs usually have a benefit. And Don't cause an endless series of problems

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Al Amoling

Registered

It's called give it out takit back

9. Janice Lynne

Registered

?

10. Al Amoling

Registered

You express an opinion and I also do express an opinion

Janice Lynne likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That is the purported reason for gas taxes, but if they were removed from fuel costs at the pump and simply billed to consumers based on car mileage or whatever, the "villain" in the high fuel costs discussion would be vastly different.

Biden is responsible for making us more dependent on OPEC as national production continues to decline. From Forbes... "The question is, why doesn’t the administration incentivize production while simultaneously upping emissions regulations? Such a strategy would displace the need for imports and reduce prices at the pump. Look no further than Norway, the largest producer in climate-conscious Western Europe. The EU is more serious about climate goals than the United States but insists that its oil and gas sector continue to be developed, not dismantled. Given that they produce among the lowest carbon-intense barrels in the world, this makes a lot of sense. The Biden administration can easily regulate domestic production — but it cannot easily do the same for foreign production."

Is it possible for liberals to discuss anything without name calling? So tiresome.

Ed Wilson, Al Amoling and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You don't read with comprehension. What I said was tell us in your own words and expertise why you feel what you have read or experienced is backed by science and not just parrot information that basic principles of science tell us are incorrect. If you understand articles on breaking new technology, then tell us why. I have no political agenda as far as alternative energy is concerned.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Can you please explain what green technologies are amazing scientific breakthroughs and how they are capable of transforming the planet? Seriously please explain to me how solar can be made to produce AC electricity efficiently? What I find strange is that hydro generators are not considered green but undependable and inefficient wind and solar are. I love both wind and solar but fully understand their limitations.

Seriously and respectfully please explain how these "green" technologies will work efficiently and decrease fossil fuel use. How can more household electricity be run without wires? How electric cars can work without environmentally damaging batteries that require very high amp service to charge? How can we make jets fly using electricity?

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My concern is they can't.
    We cannot get the energy we need (are using right now) with green means. Mind you I don't know an ohm from a watt. But if my premise is correct, the only option is to cut us back from what we need to what will be allowed.
    If you look up the US debt clock, we are bankrupt but we don't know it. And to keep the citizenry under control in bad times (like when we finally realize that we are bankrupt and the government comes to take all that we have to cover their bad debts) is what is needed. I think the vaccination mandates are an experiment for this.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You are exactly right that we cannot get the energy we currently need with "green" energy. With all the 10s of thousands invading our country, the demand for fossil fuels will only increase. This is why no one will discuss this other than using clever catchphrases and bogus theories passed off as science. No one wants to discuss the lack of science in the "green" movement. China will never reduce its fossil fuel use or its nuclear power plants. We all live on the same planet, so nothing the USA does will make much difference even if all the green dreams could come true.