Shopping For A New Pocket Knife

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ike Willis, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, my father had a pocket knife while I was growing up and my brother now has one. They used them basically to cut rope or open packages. I really don't have any issue with these although I can't blame schools or office buildings for not wanting them on the premises. As for the OP's question about finding a new one that meets their needs, have you tried looking on Amazon or Ebay. Yes, odds are these could be sold there, and there are other places online that utility knives can be bought. As I said I have no issue with certain types of knives after all I use some in the kitchen all the time, yet some of these that I used there should never leave the kitchen setting for any reason, that's how dangerous they can be in the wrong hands. Sort of like guns when you stops to think about it.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

An amazing thing happened this morning. I was listening on the radio and an ad came on about a shooting range we have down the road. I started thinking about a couple of guns I used to have and my old .25 cal. Raven automatic came to mind. Granted, the Raven was about as sorry of a weapon a person can have but I just happened to like mine.

I got curious enough so I looked them up on line just to see how much one would cost nowadays. Much to my surprise Ebay popped up, so I followed the link and sure enough they had a bunch of pieces and parts of the .25.
    One particular picture showed one disasembled so I looked it over and yup, everything was there right down to the firing pin and pistol grips.

Now, really curious I looked up a .38 special, .38 snub, .45 military auto, AR15, AK47, Glock 9 mm and every one of them came up in pieces and parts. With a little more research, I found that I can piece and part nearly any hand weapon and build it myself. It's much more expensive to do it that way granted, but if I was a crook or terrorist the cost would be something I would overlook and just order the necessary parts.

I didn't see anything that needed an ID or any type of certification to order the parts so I wonder why this particular method of aquiring a weapon has not been mentioned in the debates over gun laws?

Hmmmm......I wonder how much an M-60 or a 50 cal might be? I can build a turret on top of my house and...........

Ken Anderson and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in Iowa and several years ago I thought I would build my own Colt .45 auto. That way, I could use some custom parts, such as trigger, hammer and barrel. So, my local gun dealer was only too happy to sell me a frame and all other parts I might want. However, I had to have a permit to purchase the frame, just as if it was a finished gun. At that time. permits to purchase took about a week while they checked you out. Once approved, it cost $5 and was good for a whole year, and you could buy all the guns you wanted. My son tells me a buy permit now costs $10, otherwise everything is the same.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I was given a small folding pocket knife a number of years ago. I have always carried it in whatever purse I was using. I never had a need for it, but one never knows!

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I was going to post something about my new knife, I may as well bump this one up again, although it hasn't been posted to for several years. I decided to start carrying a pocket knife again. Too often, I would have to go looking for a knife or scissors to open the box, cut a strap, or whatever, all of which could be taken care of with a pocket knife.

2021-03-12 23.37.02.jpg 2021-03-12 23.35.08.jpg 2021-03-12 23.36.47.jpg

So, I bought this cute little thing. It's really tiny, but it's also really sharp and, while I probably wouldn't want to depend on it to defend myself against a bear attack, it serves most of the purposes that I might need a knife for. I have bigger knives, but those are the ones that I'm likely to have left me when I need one.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't carry a knife (if I had a police utility belt I might), but I have lots of them around.

-I have a Swiss Army knife in my truck's console (I believe it was a gift from a boss)
    -I have a cheap pocket knife in my car's console
    -I have at least 3 folding utility knives floating around: one in my kitchen drawer, one in my tool chest, and one in my tool pouch (those are the ones whose locations I recall). They are this model, with the easy-to-replace blade setup:
    [​IMG]

Sure beats the old style where you removed a screw to take the handle apart...but these don't have a place to store spare blades.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I always carry a knife. There is always something around that needs cut--twine, rope, twigs and branches, etc.

9. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I always have my Swiss Army knife with me. It comes in handy.

Interesting factoid: On a camping trip, I became acquainted with a trio of fellow campers, from Europe, who were passing through. They needed a place to crash, for a night, in the city. I let them use my place. Overnight, one of those guys cleaned and detailed my knife, as above, while I was asleep. It looked great, when I woke up. The guy had been in the Swiss Army! Pretty cool, right?

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So they really are Swiss Army knives??? It's not just marketing hype?

11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I always carry a pen knife. Family thing! It was ingrained upon me from birth that you never leave the house with out a way to make fire and a knife.
    Therefore I do.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This is the little number I bought a year ago and liked it so much I bought another one just to keep in the shop.
    The little pen knife that comes with it is a little mickey mouse but the dual bladed knife is sturdy and heavy in the hand and I’ve used and abused them both mercilessly and unless I lose one I don’t think I’ll have to buy another pocket knife again.

Attached Files:

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  13. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

According to this former Swiss soldier, you must keep your knife in excellent shape, at all times, or face disciplinary action.

From the internet: "Does the Swiss army actually use Swiss Army knives? Absolutely. Although there have been more than 100 models issued since Swiss Army knives were invented, the Swiss army itself has used just eight of them. Nov 4, 2019"

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There is an outdoor guy up here who always carries a knife and a way to start a fire. He says he can always find something he wants to cut or set on fire.

15. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

Might not want to be alone with that guy, too often!

John Brunner likes this.