Shopping For Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Mitchell Hartwig

Mitchell Hartwig Well-Known Member
    Registered

Apropos old equipment, I have noticed a significant interest by the younger folk in older stereo equipment. Some old folks too.

But take a look at this site:

https://reverb.com/brand/marantz?product_type=home-audio&category=receivers

That's Marantz receivers, only. Some of this stuff is 400% more than original price. Some is inflation, but folks, this is *used* equipment.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have one of these:

[​IMG]

Quadraphonic, baby. I was with my older brother (now deceased) when he bought it. Also had the quadraphonic turntable, and his JBL L-100 speakers (4 of them.) I got the receipts for the whole shootin' match.

Tony Nathanson likes this.
  3. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Everyone knew that this kind of stuff really "gets the chicks".

Just like Corvettes...

;)

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

One better.
    Long time ago, I got up to make the fam breakfast. At dinner, things in the fridge seemed warmer. I called a repair store and they sent someone out. Nice young guy came in and said, Before I look at the fridge, I will tell you I charge $? amount of money minimum service charge. Check to see if the appliance is plugged in and turned on. It was plugged in but when I opened the door, the dial was turned off.
    I forgot I had cleaned it a couple days ago. Should have been a momentous, memorable occasion as I do it so seldom.
    I called the store and told them nevermind.
    I hope that kid did not get fired after doing that to help a lot of people to save money.

5. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Hah! An honest man!

But you are right to be concerned, because nowadays no good deed goes unpunished,

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. John Brunner

The funny thing is, that brother who bought into quadraphonic also chose BETA over VHS. From a specs standpoint, it was the right decision.

7. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

My first one was BETA.

The lesson was valuable: maybe relative quality is not all-important, depending on context.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had to replace my 35 year old refrigerator a few years ago. The delivery guy could tell it was very old. He asked me, "How old is this fridge?"
    I said "More than 35 years old."
    He said, "Well, just don't expect this one to last that long."
    I said, "How long should I expect it to last?"
    He said "About 6 years."

And brands don't mean as much as they used to. Appliances are made with various parts from all over the world - wherever labor is cheapest.

9. John Brunner

Yup. I had the same experience with my older fridge, and the same experience with the new one..."Expect it to last 7 years." Stupid me left my old fridge at the house I sold when I moved in 2010, thinking I would "upgrade." I am on my second "modern" fridge. I learned my lesson, but there's no way to apply it.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It certainly used to be the case and, as you said, not sure about now. Our house was built between 92-94 and we still have the plain Jane heavy duty Maytag washer and dryer. I made the first ever service call (for either of them) on the dryer about a month ago. The service guy replaced two rubber wheels for the drum and the drive belt and said it looks great, should be good do another 20 years. It irks me to no end that so few seem willing to make products like that anymore. I’ve heard it said Speed Queen makes some models similar to the old Maytags.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I hope you are not correct about ALL brands. I bought a new refrigerator in 2011, brand Samsung and it is still going strong.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  12. Tony Nathanson

Registered

When I replaced my old washer & dryer 10 years ago, I chose Speed Queen because of their durability & 25 year warranty.

13. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have a Speed Queen washer and dryer too that is about 10 years old. I agree, Tony. It's very durable! I got tired of all those water saving front loaders that baptized the clothes instead of washing them. It would take about 60-90 minutes to do just ONE load of laundry.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Tony Nathanson

Registered

I also read about problems with mold in the door of front loaders. And those computerized lights & gadjets; when they fail, the whole washer stops until you call a repair man.

Mary Stetler and Krystal Shay like this.
  15. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I purchased a new Frigidaire on 4/28/01, 22 yrs ago coming up. It's great and I purchased it from a local store here in my town, which is gone now... Hold on to your appliances if you can. I may have paid low $500's for the fridge but I'm not sure...today I'm hearing $1,000 or so.

Larger cities may have "used" appliance stores and good products could be found there...

I Miss America....

The original stove when my apt bldg was built is a Merritt Okeef and it's over 80 yrs. YOUNG....Love you stove -- you've been a great pal.

Mary Stetler and Thomas Windom like this.