Shopping For New Heat, Air Unit

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Jake has been trying to repaie the old unit but I say its time for a new one,

My Aunt was a wise woman, I can still remember some of her quotes, one is from Mat.9"16, "Don't put new patche an old garment.".
    TYhis unit is 17 years old, most last only 10 years before they keep failing.
    So owning a home is expensive.
    We were told by meter reader man that power company will finance and put on monthly bill. For small interest rate.

Anyone know anything about this, other than more money and work put into this? I do not want to be without heat or AC .

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had a big Trane system that lasted for 19 years (heat pump) so we replaced it with another. I don’t know that there’s a huge difference anymore among brands and would guess that installation quality is as big a part. We got some sort of credit I think because of the big SEER improvement but it was still a major expense at the time. The utility using a financing incentive to get people to update to more energy efficient units makes sense to me.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

We'll check with power company and see since I think this one has had it and needs replacing even if it will put strain on budget, we'll make it
    I know I don't want to take a chance of being without it.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We put in a new, non-name brand furnace, Goodman (?) Good something? Will have to check next time down in the basement. Put one in the farmhouse too. Recommended by my plumber friend. Much less costly than the name brand furnaces. and work fine. And I am impressed with a hot oil radiator I got for my barnhouse because it is below zero so often and the stove pipe was smoking (and my barn cat would get cold). I did not want to take the pipe apart till spring. DeLounghi (?)

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

We don't know which one won't give us trouble, but I agree, name brands don't mean quality now like they used to.

7. Thomas Windom

Registered

I’m assuming yours is a central heat pump system with ductwork throughout the house? Ours is the same. If I was doing a new house, I would forego the ductwork and go with multiple mini-splits instead.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thomas, yes it is and we won't be building anymore homes. But we do need heat and air here in Florida heat can be dangerous for us old people so can cold if we're sick.

9. Thomas Windom

Registered

Yep, tell me about it. I hate Maryland but probably couldn’t take the Florida heat. I used to love a hot summer day. Now I want it 60-70 all the time.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

It does take some getting used to. We do have freezes here in north Fl. but they don't last long.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Heat pumps aren't going to heat your home in the winter if you live in a cold-weather region but they can reduce the cost of other types of heating. Our two thermostats are downstairs and the heat pump is upstairs, so it helps to keep more of the heat downstairs, or it would if I Michelle wouldn't set it to cool the upstairs while the oil heater is pumping heat.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I don't know what it is but it sure used to keep us warm. I'm glad we are in a warm cycle now while it out. The AC went out last fall. I say it's had it.