Shopping on Amazon

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I understand the problems at UPS are causing more stuff to be sent to the USPS. That is kinda a switch, huh?

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Speaking of kibbles @Ken Anderson. I found a size of bag, not available locally, at a great price on Amazon.

CoffeeBean loves Whiskas Chicken Dry. The bag is 7kg. It'll last him a while and it has a long expiry date. I did that cause it was expensive to get 1.5kg bag every fortnight! So savings galore and tasty convenience for our fur babies, correct?

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ancient Chinese pre-COVID curse: May you live in interesting times.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have two cats but I buy kibble in 15 lb. bags. It's cheaper, and I have some good containers to store it in.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Eureka!

Just like the person's comment, I'd been looking for Wild Musk Oil by Coty, as it had been my favourite in the late 70s and throughout the 80s.

Finally, it's now under the label "Exclamation!" by Coty and still at an affordable price. Therefore, I might pay myself a treat in March for my birthday...

"Doing the Happy Dance..."

6. John Brunner

I'm getting miffed with Amazon and its sellers skirting violating the credit card rules regarding not charging the card until the goods ship. I'm sure this is customary fraud, but getting an email at 1AM telling me that the post office just picked up my package set me off.

-I placed an order Friday night.

-At 1AM Saturday my credit card got charged for an item shipping from a seller.
    --The Amazon status said "Shipped: Carrier picked up the package." At 1AM east coast time?
    --The USPS site said "Label created, not in system."

-Fast forward nearly 24 hours and the USPS site says "Awaiting item."

This stuff has not shipped. The seller got my order and printed a shipping label (I worked for a guy who committed this type of fraud.) And it makes you wonder where Amazon is getting the Shipped, Out for Delivery and Delivered statuses. I think that Out for Delivery and Delivered are electronically fed from the USPS, while the seller controls the Shipped status.

bastards

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Bezos has stepped away form Amazon and sold much of his stock in the company. As soon as Jeff departed, Amazon started downhill if it wasn't before. All the troubles I have seen at UPS probably isn't helping either.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If you're interested, check out the reddit group for Amazon prime. Good grief, mobs are forming and it sounds like people are leaving Prime memberships in droves. Apparently the move to put commercial ads into Prime Video (or pay $3 a month to avoid them) has been the last straw for a lot of people on top of shipping issues, 3rd party scammers, chinese knock-off junk, etc.

And I found this extremely interesting... a person can request several different "privacy" reports on their own Amazon account. You can get all kinds of information simply by asking...everything you ever wanted to know about your Amazon account and then some. Check out this page... https://www.amazon.com/hz/privacy-central/data-requests/preview.html This includes everything from your very first order with Amazon. Here's a partial screen print of the page...

upload_2024-2-25_10-47-3.png

There is an option to request "all" your data and they will send a .pdf file to you. I'm not sure I want to see how much I have spent since 1996. :eek:

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Kind of weird, but I ordered a pack of four Fruit of the Loom Over the Calf socks and they sure didn't look like "over the calf" when I put them on. And, they were definitely weren't as thick as the Gold Toe Over the Calf ones I've gotten before. I decided to send them back for a refund, then found out they didn't want them back, but did give me a refund. How can a company make money if they don't want them back, but do give a refund?

Use to buy Wilson Over the Calf socks on their website, but they no longer make what I use to buy. The Gold Toe socks don't last very long, but with multiple washings, generally socks don't.

10. John Brunner

It's frightening. When I went on that page, Amazon recommended a bunch of Alexa products for me. o_O Did you notice that you can get your "voice recordings" that Alexa has captured? I wonder exactly how all-inclusive that is. Alexa records everything you say within earshot, whether she's "Awake" or not.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I know they won't take back food items (this includes supplements) for safety/liability reasons. Perhaps repackaging clothes is not cost-effective. I believe they track your returns and cut you off if you're abusing the system.

I've had a couple of items they told me to keep.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's the discussion on Reddit... https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonprim...nloaded_all_my_amazon_purchase_data_and_took/

I have to admit, I recently "discovered" Reddit and I spend hours on there. There is an Aerogarden sub and other topics that I'm interested in, plus the "AITAH" (Am I the Asshole?) section that can be fun to read. :D

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  13. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you need something, you can usually find it on Amazon. There are many small companies who can't afford to advertise, but sell through Amazon.
    I recently wanted something, looked on Amazon and found it. When I looked at the location, I discovered that the company was in my town. I went to the factory and bought the item in person!
    The problem I have with Amazon is the delivery system. They usually give you a delivery date but don't stick to it. Too many parcels are stolen because the drivers just leave things on the doorstep.

14. John Brunner

I encounter Reddit when searching for answers to stuff and hit upon Reddit conversations. But I've neither joined nor participated.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You don't have to join or participate to read. I did join because I wanted to post in an Aerogarden thread a while ago.

John Brunner likes this.