1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Christians Get Vaccinated?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

And also those who can spell "annoyed."

2. Dan Ess

Dan Ess Active Member
    Registered

I guess the older you get the older old gets.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

He might have meant "anointed."

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm not sure what someone's Christianity would have to do with the decision to be vaccinated or not; unless, of course, they are members of one of the very few churches that preach against medical assistance. I think that there are some very compelling reasons not to accept the vaccinations for the Dr. Fauci virus, and I believe that we are - as a society - over-vaccinated, and that this can bring more detriments than benefits, but I wouldn't credit my Christianity with any of it.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

If I go to hell, it wont be because of any vaccine - trust me ;)

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That sounds like the title of next week's sermon.

7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I've eaten hot dogs and sausage and chicken nuggets my entire life, so one more dose of some mystery substance can't have much negative effect. :p

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen to that !

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  9. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Boggles the rational mind that anyone would base a decision to NOT care for the health and wellbeing of their fellow humans -- especially the most vulnerable and the most often exposed -- on their religious mythology.

10. Ken Anderson

You are aware that, historically, that doesn't make a lot of sense, don't you?

11. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm aware that my thought above is not about history, but about health and wellbeing in today's world.

12. Ken Anderson

History is filled with medicine gone wrong: children given morphine as a pacifier, heroin as a cough medicine, mercury used to treat a whole host of ailments and injuries, urine baths as a curative, lobotomies, and the list goes on, all based on the best medical knowledge of the day. That's not even counting those who have suffered or died from medical experimentation. More specifically, if we kept such lists, there would be a long list of people who have died from various vaccinations, and an even longer list of people who have suffered permanent damage. Don't forget that "today's world" will be history tomorrow. I suspect that very few people object to the Dr. Fauci virus for religious reasons. There are plenty of other reasons to take a pass on that one.

For example, some children have developed heart disorders after getting the vaccine. "Only a small percentage," they say. Then again, only a small percentage of children get COVID-19. If these vaccinations are safe for children because only a small percentage of them suffer permanent damage, then reason would dictate that it is safe for children not to be vaccinated because only a small percentage of children get the disease. Considering that the unvaccinated don't suffer the negative side effects of the vaccine, it would reasonably follow that it is safer for them not to be vaccinated.

Bringing this back on topic, vaccinations are a lot like prayer. Because you believe in the science behind these vaccinations, you line up to be duly vaccinated. If you suffer no serious negative effects from the vaccinations, you consider this to be proof that the vaccination is safe, while ignoring or dismissing those who have suffered severe negative effects from the vaccination, even death. If, after being vaccinated, you do not get whatever virus it is that you're being vaccinated against, you deem this to be proof that the vaccine has been effective. If you do get the disease anyhow but survive it, you are convinced that you probably would have died from it if you hadn't been vaccinated. If you die from the disease after getting the vaccination, everyone else will ignore you, much like they dismiss all of those who have chosen not to be vaccinated, yet do not get the disease or who suffer only minor effects from the disease, as my 80-year-old brother, my sister-in-law, and nephew, all unvaccinated, have all gotten COVID-19 and described it as being not nearly as bad as the flu. Like prayer, vaccinations require belief, and not everyone is a believer. There is something to be said for placebos, though.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    John Brunner and Al Amoling like this.