Site Keeps Logging Me Out

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have occasional issues with the "stay logged in" feature, Thomas. Usually I can delete all cookies for this website, close the browser, reopen the browser, and sign in again and that will fix the issue.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks I'll give it a try.

3. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

why do i have to sign in and use my password--i put up stay logged in

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Betty, try clearing your cache and cookies on your computer.

Betty Jones likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The default on my browser is to clear out cookies and cache whenever I close it (as is my habit every evening.) I set an Exception for this site so I never have to log in. That being said, I've had short streaks where I would open up a thread in a new tab and would have to log in to it, even though this site is opened and logged in on several other tabs...then that issue just disappears on its own and does not happen again for months. So if things have "suddenly not been normal," they might suddenly fix themselves.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Just guessing, but browser updates sometimes change the defaults, such as the one for accepting cookies. That happens to me sometimes.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For the past few days, I am being being logged out every time I post or respond to a post. My fault or yours?

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Nothing has changed here.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I had an issue a while ago where I would have to log in to the site every time I opened it in an additional tab. It self-corrected. I think much of this stuff is browser-caused. I went for a couple of months not being able to log into my bank's website from Firefox, then the browser updated and things were fine again.

Thomas Stillhere and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Uh oh.
    X Files theme song.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I find that when I have an issue with the site, I log off and clear my cache/cookies, then log back in. That usually clears things up.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Try another browser. You would think it shouldn't matter, but I see it with other websites. They don't look or behave the same.

13. Ken Anderson

This happens to me sometimes, and always has; not just here but in other places as well. I can see some patterns but not always. Edge does this to me more often than Safari, I think, and I've found that when I log off of my Ken Anderson account in order to log into my Admin account to do something, then log out of that account and back into the Ken Anderson account, I am more likely to have that occur for a while. So, I usually use a different browser for each account.

Ed Wilson and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I clicked the "stay logged in" button and I am still in. I clear cache every night, so that isn't the issue. I usually use duckduckgo.

15. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Possibly browser updates have a large role in changing settings, you wouldn't know about it until you find you no longer auto signin a particular place. It seems browser updates are just too often. I do not clear cookies because I have so many it would take forever to pick and choose one out of hundreds. Seriously I have accumulated a ton of cookies so I don't mess with them. I too get the log in every time now and it started a month or two ago but it seems lately that we have a lot of browser updates going on. On a side note, I just read a malwarebytes topic in email that states there are a ton of law enforcement agencies buying up geo data that is collected about all of us and they have amassed a huge data base or all our daily activities and locations. It is much worse than not allowing gun owner data bases to deter an enemy in wartime to locate gun owners. These people today know more about us than our own families do. Our personal data is sold to anyone who will pay for it. The police showed up in a long list of other persons or entities that was purchasing our activities. It means they are using our tax dollars to buy the spying. How nice. I don't like cookies and have installed a browser extension to stop sites from asking... may I. hell no you may not !!! I am used to logging in now :D

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.