Snow And Hail In Cheyenne Wyoming, Then Tornadoes

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks like @Cody Fousnaugh might be having a taste of winter on his vacation to Wyoming and Cheyenne for the rodeo. I just found an alert on my facebook page that shows they had a severe hail storm on Thursday, with hail that was golf-ball sized, and drifts up to 3 feet deep !
    Then, they have had tornado warnings, and it looks like a tornado did actually touch down somewhere in the vicinity; so if Cody and his wife are still there on vacation, they will be experiencing more than just a hot summer day for weather.
    929E7F3B-981A-4750-9B7E-85F2E57EE3F2.jpeg

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

This is all because they do not want to pay their carbon tax Ha Ha

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Am sure we will get full details upon his return.:)

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well..... he did say he would prefer that to the humidity of Florida..., so maybe he's loving it. Otoh.. it might be enough to make them change their minds at their ages and decide on somewhere more temperate

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, was in Cheyenne last Tuesday and got absolutely nothing. It was totally sunny, until we left the arena area about 3:30PM, when a thunderstorm was heading towards Cheyenne, but we got out of there before it hit...….if it did hit. T-storms and hail, both large and small, are just part of eastern Wyoming, eastern Montana and the High Plains states.

Holly, you are absolutely right, we'd rather live where there is t-storms and even hail, that in high, high humidity, tropical storms and the possibility of hurricanes...……..that we've already been thru since living here.

Thing is, people have their homes completely destroyed by tornado's, hurricanes and even a blizzard, but most rebuild and stay living in the areas. Sort of weird, but very, very true.

We somewhat liked Loveland, but like Ft. Collins quit a bit. Cheyenne can have a pretty rough winter, compared to Loveland and Ft. Collins. The demographics is much more to our liking, drivers are more courteous, all freshwater lake boating/fishing, some tattoos, but absolutely nothing like here in Jacksonville. We can wear our cowboy hats in either Loveland or Ft. Collins without anyone looking at us weird, like here.

Mention any part of Florida to those living in Loveland, Ft. Collins or even Cheyenne and all they say is "no way, with the humidity they get". Heck, the people in Loveland or Ft. Collins don't even want to talk about Denver, or as they call it "the other Los Angeles".

The rodeo was ok, but many people in attendance had never been to a rodeo and won't go to another one. They were the ones wearing shorts and tennis shoes...……..seriously. I notice that many would turn their heads away from the arena when an event was on, especially tie-down roping aka calf roping. The rodeo committee didn't care, they got their ticket money.

Did drive down to Parker, CO, 28 miles south of downtown Denver, and seen our old house. The entire area of Parker has really, really grown and some locals definitely don't like the growth that has happened.

Anyway, bottom line is...…...serious plans on moving to either Loveland or Ft Collins. Just can't live in Jacksonville or Florida or the South. Did find an apartment complex in Loveland that was nice and Boyd Lake is very nice. Bull Elk Crossing warning signs along a street where our hotel was.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

hey Cody nice to hear from you, are you back home now?..did you enjoy your trip overall? Good that you've now decided on where you'd like to live. Do you plan on renting an apartment..and are the rents less expensive there?

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We got back last night and boy did the humidity HIT both of us! To a point, we felt better at the 5,003 feet elevation in Ft Collins than here in Jacksonville where it is 16 feel elevation. Our arthritis pain was still there in Loveland/Ft Collins area, but could go away more with time living there. Some people's arthritis pain definitely gets better in the high elevations, while other don't or not as much.

The trip was overall nice and are glad we went. Outside of the rodeo grounds was pretty neat with a Chuck Wagon cooking championship going on. Chuck Wagons were used in the old, old cattle drive days when a cook would make meals for the cowboys on the cattle drive.

Will not have the money to buy a house or condo, so renting an apartment is the only thing we can do. Most apartments that look nice and are in descent areas, generally are not cheap to rent. It's about $100 more there than the apartment we are living in and we'd have two apartments above us. Since living here, we have been living in a 1-level apartment at the end of the 2-story apartment building.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is one of the things that I appreciate a lot when I am able to go back home to Idaho, is that the humidity is so much lower there, and I can really breathe SO much better. When I am there, I go for hikes through the back woods with my son and daughter, and can easily be out there an hour with no problem.
    Not so much here.
    Just walking down the street with Bobby to the little corner convenience store, and I am sweaty and huffing and puffing when we get back home again.

I am glad to hear that you had a good visit in Wyoming, and that you missed the storms and tornadoes, @Cody Fousnaugh .