Snowbirds And Compassion?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Any wishes/wants/hangups that I may have are not going to become fodder in an open forum. I don't think I have to vent on everything that comes up.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Everyone has wants and no one can escape them. The rich and poor alike have wants.

The thing is, we can find contentment and happiness with what we have no matter where we live, how much money we have or even with whatever health restrictions we may have.
    Negativity never did anything for anyone except put wrinkles on faces and make for a crappy outlook on life.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that a personal attack?

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

It has red in it so it may be!

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some of us like to do that, though, and there's no harm in it.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Don't make too much of likes and dislikes. I don't know about other people, but when I like a post, it doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with it. Sometimes I like a post because it's well-written, well-thought-out, or simply that it moves the discussion along, which is what I like forum posts to do.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, Al you still have a lot of Cody red highlights to come to catch up with me.:D

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Talked to a Snowbird this morning who has property on the outskirts of a local city here and property in Arizona. He doesn't have any close neighbors here, other than "down the road". He was telling me, over the phone, about the different break-ins he has had done to his property while he was in Arizona, including two trucks stolen. One truck was recovered, he took the sparks out and it was stolen again, by using a chain.

After listening to him talk about the theft at his place here, it started making me wonder......"how many Snowbirds have had their property broken into while they were in another State?"
    Just talked to my SIL (1/2 brothers wife) and she told me they've never had a problem with either their Florida home or their PA home.

If you were a Snowbird, how would you ensure your property was protected as much as possible, especially when next door neighbors weren't "next door", but a few miles away.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I could have written this one Ken, did the same thing ;) God's provided all I need, He always has, and now, amazingly enough, it's all I want. I don't want more stuff to take care of. I don't envy the folks that are rich because I've learned that they have their troubles as well. It's why we see so many rich and famous killing themselves, divorces, hooked on drugs or alcohol. No, I don't envy or want what others have. I have enough to deal with my own little "acre" so to speak :) (memories of Citizen Kane)

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As for us, well, we could definitely handle a newer Dodge Durango, a descent house and even a newer boat. And, if we could afford it, most definitely be Snowbirds. There are those that are perfectly fine with what they have and those that really do wish they had "more and better".
    Suppose we would wish for the "more and better" side of things.

And, btw, Denise, not all upper-class/rich folks have drug problems, divorce and so on and so on. There are many "well-to-do" families out there that live the "very good life" with no problems at all.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It happens even intra state. Cabins up north. I thought the answer might be in upcoming technology. Security companies that can send out drones for intel and surveilance? Might be good retirement income for you to build a start up?:rolleyes:
    House sitters?
    I worry about breakins causing even more damage to pipes, windows, ya know how kids have 'fun'
    With all the shows on bugging out and people looking for out of the way places with prep storage, why not pilfer stuff. It is probably easy to sell.

13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Do the words "so many" imply I meant all the rich and famouso_O I best be careful with my posts, they must not be very clear.

Al Amoling likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have pulled out of society, pretty much.
    My mom wanted to 'enter' society with appearance and bearing. I competed with myself, only. I was an embarrassment. Still am, I suppose. I happen to enjoy cleaning barn.
    So, I only do what I want, have what I need and pretty much don't ask for opinions. I HAVE opinions but who cares except for conversation. Sometimes I really want to know what certain other people think. But I don't fret about it.
    I am not sure what I would do with a Bentley. I have found that diamonds were pretty much worth only what one company said they were. Now we can manufacture them.
    Food/water, clothing, shelter--all we need.
    My one necessity past this is a hot shower occasionally.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to travel some, but hubby would be happy i9f he never went anywhere.