So You're Unhappy With The Forum Or Angry With Another Forum Member?

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you are unhappy with the SENIORSonly Club Forum for any reason, I would appreciate it if you let me know by Private Conversation. You can send an email, but I don't regularly check my email and there is always the possibility that your email will get lost in the 99% of emails that I get which are spam. Contacting me by Private Conversation here in the forum is the preferred manner of contact since I generally check the forum several times throughout the day unless I am traveling and, even then, I generally check the forum more than once a day.

If you are unhappy, I want to hear about it, and I would appreciate being given the chance to resolve the problem, if possible.

However, if you are unhappy with the operations of the SENIORSonly Club Forum and you choose to spread your unhappiness by creating a public thread or making a public post about it, your concerns are unlikely to be dealt with in a way that you would consider satisfactory.

If the SENIORSonly Club staff or another forum member has posted something that you consider to be a personal attack, overly offensive, or otherwise egregious, please use the REPORT function. This helps us to locate the post that you are objecting to and ensures that either myself or someone else on our staff will look into it, and take action if indicated.

However, if you instead choose to respond in kind, attacking another forum member who you believe to have attacked you, then your post will itself be considered to be what it is, a personal attack on another forum member. That doesn't mean that we will be taking sides against you, but that you will have added your own attack to the one that you're complaining about.

If you have submitted a REPORT against another forum member, someone on our staff will look into it and take whatever action we deem reasonable. This doesn't mean that the offending member will be banned, necessarily. Banning is generally a last resort. Perhaps we will simply issue a warning or message the offender via Private Conversation, hoping to resolve the problem that way. If so, you may not know that we have done anything, but we will look into it and take whatever steps we consider reasonable.

However, if you view this as our having done nothing, and choose to initiate a public rant about it, then you will also have been an offender, and we will look into that, as well.

I am well aware that there are other senior forums on the Internet. I do not view the SENIORSonly Club as competing with these forums in any significant way, other than that we are both hoping to attract the same demographic.

Some of you are, or have been, active on other senior forums, and that's fine. We don't require a loyalty oath here.

However, please don't bring problems from another forum here. If your only purpose in registering for an account on the SENIORSonly Club Forum is to stalk someone who you have had a disagreement with on another forum, don't do that. This doesn't mean that you are not welcome on this Forum, but please do not bring your problems here.

The SENIORSonly Club Forum has no relationship with any other forum and, as the forum administrator, I have no interest in knowing what goes on in another forum. I don't care if someone has been banned from another forum or not. As long as they behave themselves here, they are welcome.

However, if you bring the same behaviors that resulted in your being banned on another forum here, then don't be surprised if you find yourself banned here, as well.

When someone has stalked you here in order to make you uncomfortable on this forum as well, please don't assume that I am going to recognize this. I don't follow any other senior forums, so I won't know what may or may not have gone on there, nor do I particularly want to. Because I am unfamiliar with the history, I may not recognize a post as being an attack against you, as it is likely to seem cryptic to me. Again, if you believe that someone has attacked you in a forum post, please REPORT it.

However, if you decide to fight it out in a public thread here, I will probably be removing both of you because I don't want outside problems brought here.

Please keep in mind that I do not have access to Private Conversations unless I am invited to join the Private Conversation. A modification exists that would allow me to view Private Conversations, but I have not installed that mod nor will I be doing so. That's a promise. I have no business knowing what is said in a Private Conversation that I am not part of.

However, if someone is harassing you in a Private Conversation, or otherwise using the Private Conversation function to make you uncomfortable, let me know about it. Please don't use this unless it is absolutely necessary, but you can invite me to the Private Conversation if it's something that I need to see, but please don't do that just because you're angry with someone.

In most cases, complaints about the Forum staff or other forum members should not be taken to the public threads.

On the other hand, threads or posts about new features that you'd like to see added to the forum, technical problems that you might be having, or questions about how to use the forum features are things that can continue to be posted to the Help Requests section of the Forum or in the Comments on Forum sub-section.

Problems with forum staff or other forum members should be reported in a private manner, however.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it is admirable that you offer members your time to discuss concerns in private. Since I opted to accept this gracious gift of your time after I responded to a personal attack with a response I felt was necessary and earned 10 days to think about it and on my return PM'ed you to get a better understanding of what you expected, what you have written here is basically what you replied to my concerns.

While it isn't in my nature to report, I have come to understand the importance of giving you the opportunity to resolve a situation in private rather than make a public scene that makes everyone uncomfortable. This isn't a member-supported site that gives us rights to defend ourselves, but rather one that offers us an outlet for discussion with minimal rules and oversight. When we report attacks, it isn't turning the other cheek, but giving you, the owner of the site, the chance to resolve such. We all owe you that.

I might add that some may not realize that posting personal complaints on their timelines is still seen by members. Tagging Ken and making a timeline complaint, isn't the same as a PM.

John Nopales and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not unhappy and not angry but do have a suggestion or two that I will PM (when I get around to it : - }

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I am appalled that Ken even has to make this post! We all are not teeny boppers, who need to be reminded of social etiquette, and others feelings. If anyone is unhappy here, please move on and leave the rest of us to enjoy this forum. No more threats either of leaving, just move along.

5. Alice Williams

Registered

Well said.

John Brunner likes this.