Social Media

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After a while, when you've blocked all the games, and each successive game, you'll quit getting game-related status updates as well. It's been a long time since I've seen one, but I think there's a little (almost invisible) "X" in a block to the upper right of the game status report, where you choose to not receive those as well.

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I definitely enjoy Twitter & Facebook. Among my friends, if you don't have a Facebook account, it is difficult to communicate as most do not use an email account frequently. I find very few of my friends like to talk via phone, so that form of contact is limited. I either get with friends in person or sent messages via Facebook.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Facebook account but never go there and I rarely use Google Plus. I do like LinkedIn, mainly because I belong to groups where I get to join discussions and share ideas with people who do the same sort of freelance work that I do.

Twitter is the one I use most. There I follow and am followed by people who share the same interests. I read my feed and look at what interests me. I retweet or tweet only what I think are important issues or things my followers might find useful.

Susan Long likes this.
  4. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

Facebook has been great to keep in touch with relatives in Canada and other states, and I've reconnected with a few people that I hadn't been able to find for around 30 years. A lot of the stuff on there is junk, but you just scroll past it and read things you want to read.

I've never understood the whole "what I ate for breakfast" posts that people put... I can't imagine anyone really cares... but overall I like it.

Lois Winters and Susan Long like this.
  5. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

Kevin, I have friends on Facebook that 'share' about 10 to 15 sites each day. Now, to me that's a lot of sharing. So, I just try to bypass some of those 'shares' and see what interests me.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. John Stone

John Stone Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a few social media accounts, but find they quickly get bogged down with too many things feeding into the account. I had to set up a second Twitter account just to slim it down for communication purposes. And I had the same problem with Facebook. It's partly my fault for liking, friending and following everything. But once it's done, it's too much trouble to go back and undo it.

Susan Long likes this.
  7. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

LinkedIn is another good one for just text/photo without all the games (and for professional job hunting too!) - it is quite buisnessy (and you can import Facebook contact directly in). I use it to keep in touch with old friends and collegues that do not like Facebook.

Facebook is becoming almost unusable these days, common complaints of typing lag (of 10 or more seconds mid word - and missed characters) - it is getting slower and slower and bulkier with adverts every day!

8. Fran Jensen

Fran Jensen Veteran Member
    Registered

I established a FB account and then promptly forgot about it. Most of my interactions are on the phone or email, not even Twitter. And I'm not considered to be backwards in technology. But maybe with forums like this, people of my age group, I might consider being more communicative. I just seem to be so buy I really don't have time to sit in front of the computer if I can't be producing the spreadsheets or word documents that make me money....

9. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not a fan of social media but i do have an account at Facebook and connect my cell number so any updates about my friends, i would be reminded.

10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Most of my family and friends are on FB. I do have a ton of "friends" since I was a gamer, big time and we all had to friend one another for these games. Since I have dropped the games and even blocked them, the friends remain. When I attempted to drop a couple, they pm'd me thinking I was angry with them and requested I refriend them. So I did, but list them as acquaintances only and unfollow them. We really do not interact with each other, so what is the point? I also restrict who can see what I post. Occasionally, I will allow the public to see what I have to say. I am more into politics and news there as well as my card games.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

So, I am having a serious MELTDOWN here !
    I belong to about 15-20 different facebook groups about several different topics. Rather than follow them and have all of the new posts show up on my main facebook page, I just go to menu, and then my first choice was friends, and the second choice was groups.
    Then I had the whole list of my groups, so I could just browse down through them , reading what interested me.

Now, the friend choice is gone, the Groups choice is gone, and a list of stuff that I have NO interest in (covid-19, dating, etc) is there instead.
    I asked Bobby if his groups icon still shows up, and he looked at his facebook menu, and everything is like it is supposed to be, and USED to be on mine.

When I looked on the facebook website, there is a little blue group icon there that takes me to my groups, but it is non-exist at on the ipad app.

Temporarily, I have changed my group settings to “follow” the ones I am most interested in, but I am really frustrated with that facebook has done to me ! Has this happened to anyone else on the forum ?

Here is what it looks like when I choose “menu” on the facebook app. Not only that, but there are different items on the phone than on the ipad .

7C762C46-EC39-4620-B11D-6B775EB4E111.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After wasting my time trying to figure out what happened I took a chill pill(thanks @Bobby Cole ) and waited for FB to restore it.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

How long did that take, @Al Amoling ? Poor Bobby now needs a chill pill almost as bad as I do, just from trying to live with me at this moment !
    (I wonder if that is why he decided to go outside and work in the yard ? )

96562820-6918-4FCB-AC24-C54BAA1F7995.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Von Jones like this.
  14. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

my face book page was messed up the other day---i was trying to send a fathers day card to my son and some weird name was showing up on the card. by time i got it straight i posted it and it said happy fathers love ya

15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

less than a week