Some Digital-Age Jobs Know No Age

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Louis Ruiz, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Too bad. One ding or something cosmetic and it's still checked out and called refurbished or rebuilt although it could be brand new.
    Your pocket.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly, she's had the opportunity to work from home for the company she currently works for, but just doesn't want to. This whole "work from home" thing came up because she doesn't want to drive to work in snow after we move. She definitely wants to move back to Colorado, especially after we visited there this past July, but doesn't want to work away from our apartment during the winter months.

I don't know Holly, but I do understand about using the money for the computer for other things. Our old computer is slow, but it still works. Still may get a new one before we leave, but right now, finances are ruling a number of things.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some people just want "new", that's it.

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe when you relocate your wife could find a seasonal summer job and you could find a seasonal winter job to balance things out.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm like her, I won't want to work during the winter either. Anyway, I could only take a "sit down" computer/desk job, absolutely not work on weekends at all and only part-time. As for me, I haven't been employed since leaving Colorado in Oct 2007.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just to let everyone know, the job situation where we are going is pretty low. Mostly retail and food industry and the young people have those jobs. From Seniors that we talked to, that live in the area, most just collect SS and a Pension or just SS and have savings. Some may work from home, but we didn't talk to any that did.

There are some that will drive south to Denver for their job, but I have no idea who would drive that far. Others go to Ft Collins for work, which is the closest bigger city.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I do know a lot of folks who wouldn’t be caught dead in a thrift shop or even buy a new marked down appliance from Lowe’s because of a small dent. People do what people do.

For myself, although I prefer new stuff, my back pocket says to get what I can and make it last. I recently ordered a new $145.00 keyboard from Amazon but only paid $25.00 for it. Reason for the markdown? Cosmetics, .......just pure cosmetics. I’m not going to go to a dinner party with the keyboard but instead, it’ll sit wherever I put it and do whatever I tell it to until it doesn’t. Life is simple.

But again, people do what people do and whatever you or other folks do with their money is none of my affair.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I should have been named Second Hand Rose. I love going to thrift shops, Goodwill or CCA and buying things. Also buy a few
    things off of Next Door, I just bought a much needed desk chair for $ 45.
    There are things I refuse to buy second hand..shoes, sox, undies, bedding, clothe type furniture. Otherwise, I like finding bargains
    People, even me, just tire of certain things, or get new, and let them go. You can find some really nifty stuff:D..sorry I kinda got off topic:rolleyes:

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I sort of tumbled into an online Virtual Assistant job.
    It is just a part-time endeavor and only pays a little bit each week; but I do enjoy it, and I actually think that working online is a good idea for a senior, who wants to earn a little money, and has the time to spend to do it.
    What I am doing is helping to moderate on two forums and a supportive Facebook Group, and I actually joined one of the forums because it was about something that I was interested in anyway, and then discovered that the forum owner needed some assistance.
    Then, he also has a couponing website, and I will be loading new coupons to that once I have the new little Dell laptop, and he said that he may have other jobs for me as time goes on.
    Something else I am doing, and really enjoy, is buying iPads on eBay, and re-selling them, using the money I make from the virtual assistant job.
    I only buy the cheaper (older) ones, and ones that are in good condition and ready to be reset and used by a new owner; but not the really old ones, which are too old to update.
    I just got an iPad Air for $15, simply because I found it before anyone else did, and it was a make-offer listing. Those will sell here for around $100, so it was a great find.
    My daughter has been laughing about telling her friends at work that her almost 74 year old mother was an “iPad Flipper”.
    I think that if a person enjoys buying and selling with eBay, that this is something that would be easy to do from home, and there are so many things that can easily be sold, almost anyone can find something that they are interested in to collect and re-sell.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

iPad Flipper...love it! :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am still doing the online moderation virtual assistant position, andI really enjoy it. I have to check the group fairly often to make sure we are not getting spammers or scammers in there, but it is something that I enjoy doing.
    I have also still been buying more of the older ipads on eBay, and then reselling them using facebook Marketplace. I have given ipads to family members who needed or wanted one, so it has been an enriching experience also.
    I enjoy watching eBay, and finding bargains to bid on, and wishing that some of them didn’t end in the wee hours of the morning when I am asleep.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Both are hiring . Go on line to make application.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course I could. I just don't need a job and I don't want to. :D

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder if Cody's wife could fill one of the positions they are looking for.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, lawd. :p

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.