1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sous Vide Cooking

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Sep 3, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I mentioned cooking times & temps as they relate to pasteurization, I decided to post a table showing the lower internal temps chicken can be cooked to and still be safe to eat...as long as it's held at those internal temps long enough.

I pulled this from Serious Eats, who got the data from the USDA website:

Pasteurization Chicken.jpg
    7.0 log10 relative reduction in salmonella bacteria in chicken means that out of every 10,000,000 bacteria living on that piece of chicken to start, only one will survive.

Again, those times are not cooking times...they are the length of time it takes to kill the bacteria once the chicken has reached those temps all the way through. You can see the Instant time reference once the internal temp hits 165°F, which is the universally recommended "done" temp.

The total cooking time is the above pasteurization times plus however long it takes for the internal temp of the food to get to that point. But since sous vide foods can be held for hours after they are done without a change in quality, it's easy to err on the side of caution without effecting the end result one little bit. Recipes have a margin of safety built in.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner
    Enjoy yourself...for me drop it in a crock pot, shove in the oven, fry it in fire or flip it in a pan Dan... I is good to go :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. John Brunner

You know, the one analogy I can make to the Crock Pot is that you cannot overcook it, so you don't have to time the completion to the rest of the meal (not that most of us have a problem doing that, since we've all cooked for so long.) And they are both unattended.

I just had one of those 145°F chicken legs for lunch. I put it in the water this morning, went out for a few hours and loaded up some firewood, cleaned and seasoned my new grill, putzed around, then came inside, opened the bag, threw one of the thighs on a hot cast iron pan for a minute on each side to put a crisp to it, and had it for lunch. Very tasty, very moist, and really cooked to perfection. And no clean-up.

But I hear what you're saying. I would not cook this way every day of the week, not only because of the process but because the flavors of each way of cooking are different from each other. The chicken was good, but now I got a taste for some from-scratch fried chicken. The same goes for steak. Sous vide steak is perfectly tender, but you'll not get the same depth of flavor from finishing it on the grill or frying pan as you will get cooking it those ways from scratch...but those other methods will never be so fool-proof perfectly tender.

4. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Looks like you do enjoy cookin....and trying different recipes. Now did you say you lived in.....oh boy, that's quite ways away!!

5. John Brunner

The light's always on and the table's always set.

I had a friend who was a chef at many high-end restaurants. I was the only friend he had who would cook for him...not that I'm that good, but I knew no one else would, and I also knew he would never complain for fear of losing the resource ;)

6. Susan Paynter

Registered

Oh boy, be careful ......I might just land at your front door, just kidding, John.

My interests have diversified recently. Looking for warmer pastures instead of these cold winters.

Now now, I have to be careful what I wish for!!!!

7. John Brunner

Let me know what you find.

I've yet to figure out where "consistently moderate" exists within this nation's borders. 'cept maybe San Diego.

8. Susan Paynter

Registered

Sure, will keep you posted when I get to that point. Though sometimes we have to think out of the box and beyond borders!

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I just receive an email recipe for sous vide cocktails! I have never heard of such a thing.

The recipe for Spiced Manhattan is as follows:
    • 16 oz rye whiskey
    • 8 oz sweet vermouth
    • ½ tsp Angostura bitters
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 5 black peppercorns whole
    • 3 whole nutmeg
    • 2 cloves,whole
    • 1 star anise, whole
    • ½ peel of orange
    You put it all into a vacuum bag and heat at 150° for an hour, set n an ice bath to stop the cooking, pour into a container, then chill in the fridge.

I guess it sounds plausible.