Speaker Of The House

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Trump could possibly get enough votes in the same way Gaetz ousted McCarthy--by using the Democrats. I heard on Fox News that they thought Dems would support Trump just to get more chaos into the Republican side. I don't think they want to risk giving him the subpoena power to look into Biden et al. It was also said that anyone under felony indictment cannot serve as Speaker, but that is only a House rule, not law, so it could be changed. I suspect Jim Jordan will get the post, but I don't know for how long.

You are correct in that Pelosi promised to support McCarthy against any attempt to remove him but didn't keep her promise...what is new there?

2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel if trump becomes speaker, he will never be the president unless biden and harris vacate.
    He did a great job as president With consultants and advisers around him, he always seem to make the correct decisions.
    My concern with him is I'm not sure he is qualified, I do not know If there was ever a speaker who was not a lawyer. Speakers have to do the work they can't delegate everything out. What if he turns out to be a disappointment It will kill his chances for the presidency.

3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Chip Roy is one of my fave Texans and we all ought to be damn glad we've got him. ;)

Vada Bloom likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

I think you've made some excellent points here Tony I didn't know why I had a bad feeling about President Trump becoming speaker of the house but I think you said it I mean I didn't even know past speakers were mostly lawyers and I really don't know that much at all about speaker of the house but like I said I just think you made some really good points here

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Maybe part of the reason the government is so screwed up is because most of the government is lawyers. If there were fewer lawyers, laws would be written like they were in the first century or so of the Republic--clear and simple and readable. You wouldn't have these 1000+ page tomes that nobody reads before they are voted upon. Although it was passed before the Constitution, the Northwest Ordinance was one of the most significant laws ever passed, and it had just a few hundred words but it shaped the future of the nation.

We could use more laws that didn't need a group of lawyers or bureaucrats to interpret.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I can agree with that, however my whole point was that I don't think it's in Trump's best interest to be Speaker of the house if he wants to be the next president.
    I've said it before I'm not a big follower of politics, however I believe in about 6 weeks the house will be voting on a new government budget, what if there is no compromising and there's a standoff and the government shuts down, and Trump is the Speaker of the House I don't see how he gets an advantage with that. I want to see Trump running for the presidency I just don't feel speaker to house will get him a win.
    He's never been a "worker bee" is he going to want to sit during proceedings in the chamber for hours.?
    I agree I would prefer we had some everyday Common Sense Folk I'll take Davy Crockett any day.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are one or two advantages for Trump if he decides to run for Speaker.
    First and the one less acknowledged is that Trump does fancy himself as the ultimate deal maker so perhaps the seat will test his mettle a bit and show the American people what he can really do. His performance could be a deal maker or breaker but that would remain to be seen.

Secondly, we do not know what will happen this year with Biden and Harris in the area of being able to complete their tenure so having Trump in the House’s catbird seat would be some assurance that an in the event of an extreme political transition, the Oval Office would be in good hands.

Still, Jordan has announced his own plans to run so my initial thoughts on the matter still hold. It’s going to be between Scalise and Jordan and I still believe Jordan will take it.

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard scalise has medical issues some kind of blood disorder.
    I don't think Trump has anything to prove. He already was President and did a pretty good job. Right now he's ahead in the polls why risk it?

Vada Bloom and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, before the greedy took possession of the Earth. I don't see us ever overcoming them now :( Doesn't mean I don't hope and pray for that to happen ;) Actually, it seems like when the Mental Asylums were shut down, all the x-patients started running for places in the government.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

I liked what @Tony Page said about President Trump being able to "delegate" as President, but not so as House Speaker. I don't, again, understand everything, that's why I come here. How would it be for him to be so "inappropriate" with the things he says, which I love, but others don't like it?

After saying that, I can't think of a thing he ever said, or how he says it, that isn't/wasn't, a true statement! It's just some have no sense of humor. After all, look at the shape we were in with him in the WH, and things now. Anyone, even having one brain-cell left, can see their own eyes. So, looks to me like we have a lot of incompetent, and illegitimate voters.

11. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lots of very good and interesting comments since I was here yesterday.

I might be wrong but I think Trump would do this just to antagonize the Democrats. I’m all for that in one way but not when I think it might hurt the Republicans more. It’s not that I love the Republicans, please understand. They are the lesser of two evils and sometimes not that much less. I believe it would end up hurting Trump more, as well.

There is so much to being Speaker of the House that you have to be a swamp creature to know. The job requires having a foot in both camps because there has to be negotiation. Would Democrats and Trump be able to negotiate? Would moderate Republicans negotiate with Trump? I think Trump would simply tell them all to go to hell and end up with a paralyzed House.

Tony is right about Scalise having cancer. However, if Scalise is able to physically do the job he might be the best choice, at least for now. I prefer Jordan but he is already doing some very important investigative jobs running committees. How far can he stretch or is there anyone to take over his committee work and do as well? I don’t know nearly enough to say only one person is right but I have a lot of opinions. So do you guys and I like reading them. :)

12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Just a note
    From what I've observed and The Impressions I got my opinion is what made Trump an excellent president was his business sense and negotiating abilities.
    His New York "attitude" of I'm not taking any bull made the countries around the world nervous, he is the first president that I recall told members of NATO and other organization To pay their fair share or the US will pull out.
    In his mind everything he did was for the better of this country.
    Personally I didn't like all the name calling, and fighting over every little thing that was said that he didn't agree with, I felt it was beneath the position of President of the United States.
    By New York attitude I mean if anybody throws a verbal punch at him, he'll throw three back. My Opinion this is not always called for.

John Houlihan and Vada Bloom like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Apparently D. Trump said he would take the position as an interim Speaker just to fill the position as a “unifier” if no one was appointed quickly but since he’s already endorsed Jordan, things should pop soon.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the way the House rules go, Trump won’t be able to serve as Speaker if he gets indicted with a felony of which there are a few pending.
    Still, those are the House rules and they can be changed in an instant so no worries there.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

I agree, we are on the same page a lot of the time I notice ;) I'm glad you are here Vada :) What I wonder about Jim Jordan, and I like him as well, and see the work he does, he's good!! But I don't think he wants the SOH because he loves what he is doing now, and like you said also, it's so important what he's doing! I sure would go along with Scalise, cancer or no cancer, it shouldn't be even looked at since we have a President we knew was mentally disabled, and physically, and we're electing Governors that were literally born that way!

Too reiterate what I say about the cancer thing, is that no one on this planet is immune to getting cancer or any other disease. Vote for the man, vote for his record, and start giving those cognitive tests like for some reason, we've never been able to get biden to do one. He wouldn't even know his own name, and that's why "they" cover-up for him.

I am for hiring the handicapped, but in jobs they are comfy in and well-capable of doing, geez, who the heck doesn't "get" that??

15. Denise Evans

Registered

No, he isn't perfect, but I think he's perfect to get this country back on track, if we can only out-vote the Left, AND make sure we catch any schemes they are brewing up to cheat if President Trump does get to run again.