Speaker Of The House

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree, Trump can bring the country back to its greatness and at the same time drain the swamp.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

With the House standing behind him (we can hope and pray for that) I do believe we can at least get a start on it. No one works so much as Trump and it doesn't look like he's lost any steam, Dear God, give him strength and keep the wolves from his door, in Jesus name, amen!!

We're about to get "spoken to" about wandering off topic ;)

So let's see, is it true a democrat could still end up as Speaker of the House? I know there is one dem. running against McCarthy which made me very nervous, I was so glad we got at least a "so-called" Republican, and Jim Jordan was endorsing him. I'm not sure what McCarthy did wrong, I haven't watched, but heard he didn't full-fill his promises he agreed to in order to get Gaetz and Boebert off his back. If he did that, I'm glad he got booted. We have enough liars in our midst already, not to mention the Jackasses.

John Houlihan and Tony Page like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think Jordan would be more of a unifier than either Scalise or Trump. Scalise is another McCarthy and would defer to the Democrats at every turn. Jordan is more liked by the Conservatives and, while he would prefer to stay where he is on Judiciary, he says he will accept the post of Speaker as he is more liked on both sides of the Republican Party than is either Scalise or McCarthy.

4. Denise Evans

Registered

Hmm, didn't hear that from anyone else here about Scalise being another McCarthy. I think President Trump has united more people than anyone but I don't actually know the numbers of his voters come 2024. But the amount of his rallies beat out anyone, and although Jordan might "get" that many eventually, I don't think he could win against Trump. If Trump isn't able to run, I might vote for Jordan, but I'm not the best judge as I was all about DeSantis for awhile. He did so well for Florida, and served in our military, has a great wife. I still don't know how much of the bad said about him is true, as I haven't watched him.

Seems who gets into the Presidency isn't the number of votes, it's who's paying who the big bucks. Big Tech, Big Pharma. There are Giants among us today that need the perfect stone in their forehead ;)

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Well, are we talking about the Speaker or the Presidency? Only the members of the House vote for the Speaker. Jordan is a big Trump supporter as far as I know, but he isn't running for President. Jordan refused to run for Speaker when McCarthy was elected, as he was happy where he was, didn't want the headaches of the Speakership, and thought McCarthy could be trusted to do a good job. The straw that broke the camel's back so to speak, seems to have been the fact that McCarthy negotiated with the Democrats concerning the stopgap spending bill but paid no attention to members of his own party. What came out of it was a threat to shutdown all the military pensions and disability payments if the House didn't vote to pass a 500-page bill unread. The Dems had maneuvered McCarthy into backing a bill that was no-win for the Republicans. They would either pass all the Democrat-sponsored stuff or get blamed for shutting the government and denying people necessary benefits and shutting the government down. McCarthy was fooled into being another Pelosi-type tactic as she used to pass Obamacare. Matt Gaetz and the Freedom Caucus couldn't tolerate that, but they didn't trust McCarthy's ability to stand up to the Dems and had the "Single Vote" deposition clause put into House rules when McCarthy was elected and used it when he was fooled.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

Well, I suppose you were talking about unity in the House:D Yes, I guess I just can't picture Trump anywhere but our Whitehouse, as President I should add. Thanks for clearing up what McCarthy did. How the heck did he get there without some clue he couldn't be trusted. I suppose maybe there's only a few on our side in the "right wing" that actually are paying attention. The rest are snoring and get away without really doing their home-work :(

7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I read somewhere that he actually believed he had a deal with Pelosi and that she had his back. That was only so she could stick a knife in it. A mere 24 hours before he was voted out he was boasting “bring it on” thinking he had nothing to worry about. His arrogance blinded him methinks.

8. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you so much for that comment, Denise. Politics and whatever is currently in the news are my favorite topics.

I really like the way that politics are discussed here. :) I don’t mind if someone believes differently than I do.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  9. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You’ve all said some wise things. I kind of go back and forth on who I think the next speaker should be but trouble is coming as another faction is speaking out.

45 House Republicans are ‘ashamed and embarrassed’ over McCarthy’s ouster.

"Ashamed and embarrassed by what happened on the Floor this week, we refuse to allow the eight members who abandoned and undermined our Conference to dictate every outcome in policy and personnel for the remainder of this Congress, including the upcoming selection of the Speaker of the House," the letter said.

"We cannot allow our majority to be dictated to by the alliance between the chaos caucus and the minority party that will do nothing more than guarantee the failure of our next Speaker," it continued.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/45...-overhaul-mccarthy-ouster-ashamed-embarrassed

Bless their tender little hearts. They have to be the most liberal of the Republican members and their feelings seem hurt.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Why don’t they quit playing blame game and sit down like big grown up people and work it out. These clowns make me nuts.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The majority of elected Republicans are neoconservatives who view conservative Republicans as a greater threat than Democrats.

John Houlihan and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The House is kinda like a couple of street gangs who battle things out. They depend on their "leaders" (Majority, Minority, and Speaker as well as the Whips) to tell them what is to be done. The Senate, on the other hand, is a collection of "Princes" who think very highly of themselves and their fiefdoms. That is why presidential candidates often come from the Senate but seldom from the House. Senators make bad Presidents. Generals and governors make good ones theoretically, since Senators are always compromising their positions to get consensus, while governors are used to dealing through cabinets and such. That is theory only though.

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

It is the blame game, the public sentiment right now is the Republicans cannot gel like the Democrats, they don't like the in-fighting. I believe that's why Trump is going to DC to try and unite the party.
    They should all stand behind Jordan.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

Well he must have been blinded by her beauty:D

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most often, what we view as "public sentiment" is what the MSM wants us to believe.