Spring Cleaning

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Joy Martin, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

19. Use Salt To Clean The Drains

Products Needed: Salt, water
    What It Does: Flushes residues away
    Cost: $0.47*

You can use salt in many different ways to clean your home, and if you do it, you’ll realize that it can be even more effective than some store-bought cleaning products. Salt can come in handy to clean the drains because it helps break down the fatty acids in clogs, and it also eliminates bad odors.

I have not tried this Yet, but I will and here is the site where I found it.

https://za.investing.com/magazine/t...8a0-c45444daba76-7f67ceabd700,t$1678129938845

Marie Mallery and Teresa Levitt like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I started my spring cleaning today. I washed curtains, sheers and the French door's blinds and windows inside and out. And cleaned window seals. Still have much to do.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Today I tackle the bedroom and bathes. I'm so glad we went small with this house. I just did lots of dishes and put-up fruit jars we had food in we canned a couple years ago.
    I'm really not feeling well but work is waiting. I did my walk already. My BP was real high yesterday, 178-98-71,I took Amalopine and it came down, but bottom number came down to 70.
    I wish we could find a handy man to help Jake do the screen porch. All that metal in his back if he falls off the ladder he is screwed, but can't tell him anything. Has steel rods,3 cages in his spine and nuts bolts and screws holding rods in place..

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Looks like the rest will wait till tomorrow, but Jake has taken down the old porch screen and some rotting boards. Along with a couple more cuts on his arms. I took the yard tools off the porch for him. Comes in handy not walking to a building to get a tool so we built a hanging rack on the porch.
    The old screen was plastic like kinda dark this new one is aluminum so guess who is going to be blinded by the light, if you said I am your right, guess I'll wear my sunglasses.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks Joy may try it.

We sprinkle it out of shaker onto our open wounds too, it heals them faster than antibiotic salve. Sometimes pout alcohol on first.

6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I used a little salt yesterday, but I only have sea salt and don't want to waste it on my drain...need to buy some Mortons to use on my 3 drains.

I know what really works is white vinegar and baking soda mix poured in drains.....

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Salt saved my right arm and life basically when I was 8year old I cut my hand and got blood poisoning. Red Streaks all the way to my forearm. Doctor told momma it would have to be amputated, so she took me to a motel where we hid from police he called for her taking me out of hospital.
    Hotel clerk told her to use hot as I could stand table salt soak.
    I remember how sick and how I cried from the hot salted water and puss flowing out of my hand. I also remember the knotty pine walls in the small-town hotel.
    I've been a huge fan of salt water since. I just sprinkled salt on a tooth cut from Foxy yesterday.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Salt is also a good herbicide. Sprinkle it on weeds and it kills them, but don't let it get on anything you don't want to kill.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a septic system so don't want too much salt. But I love vinegar. It cleans everything; my glass stove top, stainless steel sink, shower stall...

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I washed curtains, bedspreads and cleaned as I packed 3 mos ago today ! So I have that much behind me for now.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been spring cleaning all winter long don't have anything else to do. I got tired of cleaning and started working on a table in the basement for my 'girl cave' :rolleyes:. Something simple just a piece of real wood and table legs. I work on it as I'm doing laundry.

12. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I must do some Spring cleaning, and soon, well pressing forward and bought a new floor mop today..

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I need to get busy with some spring cleaning, too. My problem is that when the weather turns to spring, I want to be outside in the sunshine, not dusting furniture. A few days ago I noticed a dust web hanging from the kitchen ceiling... sheesh. I grabbed the broom and gave it a swipe.

14. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I bought a new floor mop a couple of days ago too.:) I still haven't used it though. Maybe tomorrow.:D

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

We bought a new mop and mop bucket with wringer last week. I like the large mops, clean more area with less strokes.

Janine Coral likes this.