Still In Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Martin Alonzo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Why The Hell Are We Still in Afghanistan?

2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

we haven't finished converting the Afghans into Americans??

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Registered

If the Afghans start using all those drugs there will be none for export

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The Afghanis are a most superiorily strong-willed people, as well as strong minded. They resisted mightily against the British and Indian fighters in the 19th Century, turning many battles in their favor. They seem to as a majority, resist intervention from without, and display uncanny ability to roust it when necessary, even given the emphasis of forces against them.

Resilient. "Street-Smart", in their rural way. They resist foreign intervention. Can you blame them for that? They fought foreign troops possessing the most modern, at that time, weapons, using out-dated and inadequate arms, and often successfully turned back the invaders. It always looked to me like all they wanted was to be "left alone"! I can relate to that!

An excellent book, historical novel, though various battle scenes are well researched, and while names are fictitious, events are not, is "The Far Pavilions", copyright late '70s I think. Probably the most emotionally-moving, and memorable book I have ever read. I just spent 10 minutes trying to
    think of the author's name, called out to my wife on her "Chrome" in the other room, she had forgotten also, and by the time she Googled, it hit me: M.M. Kaye. Her husband had been, I recollect, stationed in India in the Military.

Let me tell you this, EMPHATICALLY: if you get your hands on a copy of "The Far Pavilions" and read it, you will laugh, cry, and forever remember it!

Edit: Sir John Kaye, wrote the standard accounts of the Indian Mutiny of 1857 and the First Afghan War. (M.M. Kaye's grandfather's cousin)

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are still from 6,000 to 9,000 US citizens still in Afghanistan. Meanwhile, our government has moved on.

6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Afghan Evacuees Placed in U.S. States: Who's In Charge?
    Sep 23, 2021A map of the upcoming placement of 37,000 Afghan nationals in 46 U.S. states was prepared by Axios news on September 16. These nationals were among the group of some 100,000 "Afghans at risk" who were evacuated from Afghanistan by the U.S. government under the "Operation Allies Refuge" (July-August 2021).

7. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Instead of shipping the American citizens back from Afghanistan they are shipping in immigrants from Afghanistan. How sad

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.