Stormy Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Any of this rotating weather near you and Bobby, @Yvonne Smith? Don't know where you live but some activity on the north side of Birmingham. Multiple storms in the area.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We are north of Birmingham, in Huntsville, @Bill Boggs . We have had some heavy rain and thunder here today, but nothing that was like a bad storm, or any tornado in activity.
    For some reason, most of the bad storms either go bother of us (near Nashville) or south of us (near Birmingham), and we usually miss the worst of the bad weather.
    Since we live next to Redstone Arsenal, we always kid that they have a “weather dome” that they pull over the arsenal to protect us from tornadoes.

39FC3A32-0DC5-42C5-B32A-6C362091E902.jpeg

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hope all is well for @Lulu Moppet and all others in New York, as they get severe flooding.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

.New York does not get super bad weather very often but when it does it's a doozey.
    I remember pix of a snowstorm in the last century that were amazing. There was no where to go with the snow. Plowing it off streets, even if no cars at the curb just put it on the sidewalks which were full.
    Rain is easier to deal with. Just flush it into the subways.:confused:
    PS I grew up in NY state.

5. Yvonne Smith

There are people on Twitter today that are saying we have severe storms coming in for the rest of the week, all the way until Sunday. The predicted storm lines go all the way from Mexico to Canada, and they are saying possible severe tornadoes, hail, and heavy winds.
    Some of the radars are already showing those weird streaks that look something like a lightning bolt striking, and where those happen, there are usually bad storms. Those are said to be caused from weather manipulation, as well as the strange ones that look like a giant “bullseye” over an area, which we see now and then also.

6. Mary Stetler

Registered

Ya know what? Spring happens every year. We've had tornadoes, hail and high winds, even before climate change.

7. Yvonne Smith

More forecasts for those bad storms and severe tornadoes in the mid-section of the country supposed to be happening this week, and several of the weather channels are talking about how bad they expect them to be.
    You are correct , @Mary Stetler , we have spring every year, and with it come bad storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes ; but some years seem to be worse than others, and this is apparently starting out to be a very severe storm year.
    The tornadoes the last couple of weeks have been extremely intense ones, far worse than normal, and completely trashing entire small towns in a few places.

So far, the worst of them seems to have missed northern Alabama, and I am not seeing it listed in the forecast for tornadoes this week either, but one never knows.
    Weather modification is definitely being discussed, especially on Twitter, and there are photos of radar anomalies happening before the tornadoes hit and destroy towns.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

I was at school in Missouri about 25 years ago. Right in the middle of tornado alley.:confused:

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

More bad storms coming through tonight, and we are under tornado watch until 11PM tonight. It looks like the worst of the storms will be above us in Tennessee and Kentucky, but do come south as far as Huntsville, according to the radar.
    It zooms by so fast it is hard to get a good screenshot, but here is what I am seeing for the wee hours of the morning; so they will likely extend the tornado watch.

IMG_6491.jpeg

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As the storm chasers always say, get in your safe place! Prayers up for all!

There are warnings as far west as Texas. It’s a really widespread outbreak.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

@Yvonne Smith

How are you?????? I saw that tornado(s) hit Huntsville, but since you're online I guess you were spared. Were they close?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

They were a little further north in Huntsville than where we live, but only a couple of miles away. We did not even lose power, but other places in Huntsville did. It did not sound like there was much damage anywhere, and here we only had some rain and not even any bad thunder and lightning.

We were supposed to have more possible tornadoes coming through during the night, and are still under a tornado watch, but everything is just rain here now.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm glad you're OK. The storm track dipped further south than forecast, huh? I did not see any detailed reports for Huntsville other than "went through Huntsville with another cell right behind it." I also saw a total of 3 fatalities in other states. I didn't see details. It's sad, but could have been worse.

I don't know if you use Weather Underground, but it overlays a full motion colored storm map (green for just rain, yellow for medium cells, red for violent cells) on top of a street map, so you can see exactly what is headed to your house. I use it all the time when we get storms coming through. I center the map on my house, then zoom out and hit the Play button so I can watch the storm movement in real-time.

Here's Huntsville right now:

Zoomed medium
    Huntsville far away.jpg

Zoomed in to Five Points on the edge of the storm
    Huntsville zoomed in.jpg

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had strong thunderstorms, high winds, hail, and flooding yesterday with tornadoes dropping out of the sky left and right. We had 4 rounds of storms until 10:30 last night. At least it wasn’t the Super Derecho the weather people were yammering about for days. :rolleyes: The closest tornado to us was about 2 miles away, but the tornadoes were all around for miles. We had Tornado warnings all day and our tornado sirens were going off constantly. Some of the neighbors that have privacy fences had portions of their fences blown down. There were some businesses and homes that got hit pretty hard with the tornadoes as well, and apparently, one of the hospitals in a neighboring town had some pretty bad flooding inside. All in all, we stayed safe with no damage to our property. Now for the clean-up of tree limbs and misc. stuff that blew in.

15. Yvonne Smith

I forgot where you said you lived, were you close to the same storm that tracked through Tennessee and. Alabama ?