Stress, A Number One Killer, My Opinion, What's Yours?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Jake Smith, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Glad it's behind you, and the squinting gets better.

Jake Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Registered

M&M's do it for me, music and movement. If I sit too long, I get depressed. Some days are better than others.

Bobby Cole and Jake Smith like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Unfortunately, the glasses I got were a bust and worse than doing without.
    I’m going back Monday to make sure the written scrip is the same as the glasses I got.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  4. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie ordered some glasses from the eye doctor she saw yesterday, hope they come back right.

I hope they fix the issue for you Bobby.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Jake, if you do take the test, please let us know what you think about it, pros and cons. The test lists 43 stressors that I wasn't aware were stressors, but made sense after thinking about them. For instance, a vacation in the preceding 12 months has a score of 13, beginning or ceasing formal schooling has a score of 26, etc.

On the pro side, I think it is better to know what may be causing stress than not. On the con side, the instructions say there may be a health issue in the next two years, but don't discuss what level of health issue they are talking about.

Incidentally, what is the difference between a battery and my first wife, the wicked witch of the West? Answer: A battery has a positive side.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'm about to find out of glasses work better for me or not. Ordered them yesterday from eye doctor.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife really has problem eyes. She’s worn glasses all her life, very poor vision. After chemotherapy, she developed double vision any time she looked to the side, not that uncommon apparently. Her cataracts got bad enough that she finally had to have surgery. She had laser cataract surgery on both eyes (different times) and Goniotomy on each during the cataract surgery. She still has to wear glasses though because the prims they put in them are the only thing that can correct her double vision. I’m lucky, I just buy 3 packs of reading glasses wherever.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sorry about the wife and her vision problems, hope the surgery at least helped her some. Glad your vision has easier fix.

Jake Smith likes this.
  9. Jake Smith

Registered

Good one about the battery and x. :D
    I will let you know after I take the test, may wait until tomorrow to take it, after all the work today.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hmm, that might not be true.. Current flows negative to positive, not positive to negative. Ben got it wrong and didn't want to spend his money or the rest of his life amending his books on electricity theory. Lucky for him it made no difference in which way it flows. Now I don't know about Witches ... :D

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks. Yeah, they did good by her, both the surgeries and getting the right glasses for the double vision. It had gotten so bad the several months before she got fixed up that she had quit driving.

12. Jake Smith

Registered

Running behind on the test, John but will take it soon; just been hectic around here lately; and very busy too. Just figured I would let you know. :)

John Houlihan and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Here you go @John Houlihan, I got a "299". It said there is a 50% chance of a major health breakdown within the next two years. What do you think about it? I didn't beat your "363", and you seem ok. :D

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Jake,

I traveled a lot over the years, lived in many different places, and was overstressed more than once, but I never had any major health issues in the following two years. The word "major" may be misleading. Notice that it is omitted in their test scoring results. They toned down Major Health Issues to Likelihood of Illness:
    stress test.png
    My google search on the Holmes-Rahe stress test indicated what to do if I wanted to reduce health issues when overstressed. Here is the link to one useful article:

https://www.verywellmind.com/tips-to-reduce-stress-3145195

The article describes 18 stress-removing strategies to choose from. I think I was using some of these strategies in my earlier overstressed situations, which may explain why I never had any serious issues. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
    John

Jake Smith likes this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

I probably could beat the 363; if I took the test again. Depends on the score of people passing, added to the score I had. Still haven't visited the other site you posted, but will soon.

It's sad, what our son told us about his son's last post on the computer, he checked it and said that he was asking if anyone could help him with stress. He said that tore him up and he had to leave, and not check the rest of what he had posted. :(

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    John Houlihan likes this.