Stress, A Number One Killer, My Opinion, What's Yours?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Jake Smith, Feb 1, 2023.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Jake, I think you could easily score more than 363. I hope the article with the 18 stress-relieving strategies will help you and Marie. I have looked at the 18 suggestions and think that maybe one or more may help reduce the stress level you are both experiencing now.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks, John, I will be checking those out and will tell Marie to also. Yeah, I wasn't happy with the stress that already had.

John Houlihan likes this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

About a year since I was on this thread and have to say that I feel somewhat better now than I did then. I've kept busy with all the jobs I had to do, and as they've gotten done, it makes me feel better about things being behind me now, and not as stressed about what needs to be done.

Wonder if it's like that for others, seems to me it would be. I was really stressing over the deaths of family members; undone work, loss of one of my sisters, a brother, and a grandson last year, and still think of them regularly and always will. The crazy virus in 2020 didn't help stress either for anyone, all the mostly peaceful protests, and unfair prosecutions just added to the fire, causing more stress for everyone in my opinion.

Who's gonna win in 2024 do you think? I think the ones running things will put whoever they want in there, regardless of what we think, so I don't worry about that anymore. It's a lot to deal with as we age that we don't foresee, like aches and pains and health issues but we just have to keep pushing and hope for the best.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Jake Smith

Registered

Toby Keith died today and I think he was a hell of a songwriter and performer, he stayed strong, seemingly without stressing, right up to his end. I think stressing will kill you fast, IMO. I also think the chemo and radiation will take you out faster; than not doing it. Everyone I knew who took chemo and radiation died fast. Hope I don't get cancer, but if I do; I won't be taking any of that stuff.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not many Americans get stomach cancer as he had. I believe it's primarily from a long-term diet of cured (smoked and salted) meats.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Jake, as a veteran of chemo and radiation, I will say that they are a horror. I will also say that I would not be sitting here aggravating other posters if I hadn't had them in 2021. You will be surprised at what you can tolerate when you are facing cancer.

7. Jake Smith

Registered

I'm sure you're right and it does work for some, or as I think they may have made it anyway. Like Marie's cousin, she had stomach cancer and they removed it about 10 years ago and refused treatment and she is still working and going. Her other cousin; the girl's brother has lung cancer and he took chemo and radiation treatments and too early to know about him. I think they gave him a year. You just never know, I know Marie's mom left right after her cancer treatments, and her brother too. I imagine it depends on who they are their age and what kind of cancer they have. Mama had cancer three times, kidney, had it removed took a pill of some sort, got breast cancer in one, removed it did a pill again, then got it in another had it removed, and pill again. Lived about 8-10 years and died at 86.

But as for me, I think, I won't take any, figure gonna get me either way.
    Also, sorry you had to go through that, and glad you're with us. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep; it depends on what kind of cancer is being treated. Until I had breast cancer, I thought there was only 1 kind of breast cancer. Surprise!! There are dozens of kinds, all with different treatment standards. I had an aggressive type so I won the trifecta... chemo, surgery, radiation. Many women with my diagnosis don't live for a year so I am very grateful.

Thanks for your kindness; I am happy to still be here, too. I hope you never have to face it.

9. Jake Smith

Registered

Thank you for the kind words, Beth, I do hope, I, or anyone, would never have such a terrible thing happen. We just never know, "do we"? I am very thankful for all the years I've had and keep pushing ahead until my time.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Jake Smith

Registered

Just saw this, John. Wonder if I got a notification or just missed it. :confused: I didn't know anything about what had caused it, just always liked his songs and performances and Marie saw he had died, and told me so I just put it up here. I do think some of it comes from food and our genes passed down to us.:confused:

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

You were a very strong woman going thru that, we kept you in our prayers.

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I still have anxiety attacks, but learned better how to cope with them, they are still bad but don't last as long last several years.

Jake Smith likes this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Marie and I were out on the porch, and she was speaking about being forgetful; about things she used to know. I was telling her how stress does that to us, most of the time, I've noticed when I get forgetful, it's mostly when I'm stressed about stuff.

I don't think stress is good for anything or anyone. And if you're alive, you will get it, one way or another. After you've lived for a while, seems to me; that we adapt better to dealing with it. Ever walk into a room; and can't remember why or what, you were fixing to do? I have; more than once, it always makes me feel better once I remember what I was fixing to do. :D

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't get stressed about the memory thing because I don't really believe those moments have anything to do with memory. Being retired, there is no more "Diversity of Surroundings" for us. We walk into the kitchen dozens of times a day. One time is pretty much the same as any other. I bet if we still had jobs we would have way fewer Senior Moments...but we'd have way more stress (at least, I would.)

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and Jake Smith like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

Not so sure, myself, "IMO", I think it affects us physically and mentally. I think maybe; I didn't explain it right; like my example of getting forgetful, while going into the kitchen. Just think when you're stressed out about things, it affects your memory, no matter what you're doing. :)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.