Stuff You’re Trying To Talk Yourself Out Of Ordering

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I know. There’s a thread asking about your last Amazon order but this one is about the stuff you want but don’t really need but you want it anyway.

Or, maybe you need it but can think of better ways to spend your own money and need a way to leave a hint in hopes that your other half will see it here and surprise you with it.

Anyway, I, as it is with most men, like sharp objects like knives, hatchets, axes, chisels, saw blades and stuff like that and probably do not need another knife, hatchet, axe, chisel, saw blade and stuff like that but …

I want THIS Axe and am really trying hard not to buy it.
    Why do I want it? It’s neat.
    Do I need it? Depends on one’s definition of “need”.
    Can I afford it? uh…no but I want it.
    Am I going to get it?…….the jury is still out.
    D98A0C18-C3AB-4741-8E5C-D1B586D1C6E1.jpeg

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My ink jet printer is a pain in the butt. I had to burn up tons of ink aligning the heads because the initial tests were off-the-scale, and the instructions did not address that scenario. Lately I have to change the setting to High Quality on every document just so I can read it. I've been reading about replacements and almost have myself sold on getting a color laser printer. Toner is cheaper than ink, and it does not dry out...and the quality is so much better. But color laser printers are not cheap...even refurbished ones. If I hadn't had to put money in my truck and then in my car within months of each other, I'd already have one.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I need a new printer but refuse to by one. Printer 2004 is not recognized by new Chromebook. Just discovered i need new mouse, as the 10 year old one of $7.00 is about to bite the dust. I have many needs, but few wants. However I want all the money I need to buy these things and more:rolleyes:

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It would be a tad more tempting if they threw some chrome on it. It wouldn’t work any better but what person doesn’t like chrome?

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

You’re being rational and showing how stable you are by knowing the difference between want and need but then again, the word “need” in my life is subjective, or rather, subject to change at the drop of a hat.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

A new truck. We gave hubby's truck to oldest grandson a few years ago and it has been annoying to be "truck-less" ever since. However we don't need three vehicles cluttering up the driveway and hub's not ready to get rid of his Jeep. (It is the "toad" for the motorhome, set up for towing, so as long as we have the albatross he won't let go of the Wrangler.) Likewise I don't want to get rid of my little SUV, so we'll remain in stalemate. No truck.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'd love to have a Mac Pro (not a MacBook Pro, as I already have a MacBook Pro), but they run from $6,000 to $7,000.

8. John Brunner

DIY, baby:

[​IMG]

9. John Brunner

Get a small utility trailer to pull behind the Jeep when needed...it's cheaper than a truck. When you own a home, you gotta have something to haul the bulky stuff.

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now the Axe I want doesn’t look so expensive.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nah. We don't have a place to store a trailer, plus... "HOA." Need I say more? Besides, my MIL still has my deceased FIL's old Chevy truck that we borrow occasionally.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

There is so litle WE NEED and less and less with aging, but many continue to Want want Want and they add fuel to the world of commerce... Surely, don't add anything to the spiritual sides of life....

The more One Owns the More It Owns Us.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

When I bought my first cordless oscillating tool it was because I wanted it. I didn’t really have any great plans for why I wanted it but I bought one anyway I guess because it has multiple blades I can mess with.

The long and short of it is that now I don’t know what I did without one. I use the corded one everywhere and am looking to buy another cordless because my first one defecated on the padded sleeping berth.

My problem is that now the prices are astronomical compared to when I bought my initial machine. . My first cordless only cost $21 and the blades were abut 50 cents a piece.
    Now, a decent cordless costs upward of $100+ and the blades are $1+ each.

So….now I have to decide if I want to continue dragging out a cord every time I need the tool or if my lazy side will win by me investing in a good cordless.

What to do? Dunno. I’m pretty sure I can wear out another one but…..
    The axe is cordless too…..

14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

More of my preferred size ball mason preserving jars, I sold 3 dozen quart size BM during summer and mainly have the 16 ounce size but I’ve got about 30 kg of my own home grown delicious pink lady apples in the fridge ……so I keep smacking myself on the fingers …don’t you dare IMG_3226.gif .to stop myself ordering any more 16 ounce jars

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What good is being retired and looking at earth worms more seriously if one can’t legally enjoy what little life there is left?

So far as spirituality goes, nothing I do is unethical nor immoral and if whatever I am tempted to purchase doesn’t cloud the image of Christ in my mind, so be it.
    “And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for may years; take thine ease, eat, drink and be merry’”. Luke 12:19

All that said, we never own anything anyway. If we want or need something and buy it, it still isn’t ours. It’s either going to break or we’re going to give it away or return it to the store or somebody else will have it even before the eulogy is given at our memorial.

Remember, possession is only 9/10ths of the law. The other 1/10th is an assurance that whatever it is that we think we possess isn’t entirely ours.

Alas, so far as the topic goes, all that is immaterial at best.
    Now, what is it @Joy Martin that YOU were tempted to buy and had to talk your way out of buying it?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023