Stuff You’re Trying To Talk Yourself Out Of Ordering

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Bobby if Axes turn you on, for for it.

Yep, eventually it all goes in dumps...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I should get a battery powered weed whacker since the gas powered one has been a pain since day one. It's heavy, dirty and noisy and can be difficult to start, but I'm too stubborn to let the damn thing defeat me.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Never quite thought of it that way but yeah…..the one I’m gradually talking my way out of buying definitely IS a little sexy.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So update us, Bobby. Didja buy the axe? :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Naw, I figured getting the axe would be kinda like a guy getting a trophy wife.
    They’re both pleasing to a man’s eye but beyond that, they both cost money and are pretty much useless.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually have to talk myself INTO getting something, instead of OUT OF. But it's almost the same thing.

The latest is a battery powered chain saw (trim saw). One with a top handle has always been easier for me to balance. EGO has one with a top handle, but the battery is on a backpack instead of attached to the rear of the saw.

The idea of being tied to the saw by a cord seems dangerous. They might quit making it because of that. Lowes only stocks the regular ones.

I just need it to do simple trims after a tree has fallen. I'll probably regret it if I don't get one.

upload_2023-7-29_10-28-43.png

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I want to get a color laser printer. I'm sick of the ink jet printers getting out of alignment and the ink drying out before I've used a fraction of the cartridge...not to mention the cost of a cartridge. My current printer has plenty of ink, but somehow it's at the point that I have to go into Printer Settings and enable Bold Print so it's dark enough to read the printout.

But the cost of even a refurbished one is more than I want to pay. And it's not something that I would buy used.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Does anyone else have thoughts of "well, I'm ___ years old so how much use will I get out of this if I buy it?" :D Something new added by the senior years.

9. John Brunner

That certainly applies to my printer decision. Then the longer you wait, the more imbalanced that equation becomes.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Old thread, but get yourself a black and white laser printer. I find most of what I print are documents in black ink anyway, and the laser is much clearer than the ink jet at any setting. I still have an ink jet for pictures and such, and I do have to clean the head periodically, but I don't use it much. Black toner is cheap and lasts forever.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

You and I both have children and grandchildren who can use our "stuff" when we pass, @Beth Gallagher. Think of it as "investing in the future":)

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

On the advice of @Faye Fox I got a battery-powered chainsaw a few months back, and it has been soooo handy. She recommended a small Stihl, but no dealers stock those here. All they have is the monster professional ones that cost a fortune and they don't ship to Alaska, so I go a Dewalt since I already have batteries and chargers for that, Wife enjoys using it, while she cannot use the bigger gas-powered ones I already have. Like you said, I don't use it on the big jobs, but for trimming and limited bucking it is great.

13. John Brunner

I was just on line looking at refurbished Brother color laser printers. I used to have an Okidata LED B&W printer that I beat the ever loving poop out of when in had my own business and it kept on chugging, but I also had an Epson Stylus Color Printer for the color stuff.

I agree that I hardly ever print color stuff, but for some reason am having a hard time denying myself that option that I rarely used. I guess I could always go to Staples should I have the need for color. The Brother that was highly recommended in another forum is a business model. I cannot justify that price, although I've not analyzed the per-page toner costs for the various models. Then there are the negative reviews...

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. John Brunner

I had a battery weedeater and ended up buying a gas-powered Stihl.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

How long ago was that?

That's another thing I've been trying to talk myself into.

My mother had her heart set on a battery powered one when they first came out. She never ever asked for things that cost more than a dollar, so I knew she really wanted one. I knew they weren't very good, but what can you say?

It was useless. Not enough power. Do you suppose they are a lot better today?

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.