Suggestions For Effective Posts

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We probably all have an effect on people with stuff we write. Some agree with us, others do not. These are effects. I myself have literally asked for people's opinions, ie the vaccines. I wanted lots of info to make up my own mind. Not just news and fake news.
    I like to know about people's pets and maybe sometime what shampoo they use.
    Pretty much, all's good here. If it isn't we can give our opinion or merely move on.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

If a post is judged for effectiveness by the response it gets, then it seems to me that a controversial post howbeit poorly written and void of original content, is effective. I find an original meme, no matter how clever, wouldn't get the response of a copy and paste one, but an original sure takes a lot more time to make. Original photos taken by the poster seem to get less attention than sharing one that has gone viral on social media.

From my observation, posts or threads that are either ignored or become a conflict, usually have an underlying motive. As we get to know posters over the months or years, it is easy to predict when the original poster will reveal what they really want to discuss. The lack of response to such threads is that many posters have become aware of the bait and know once the candy coating is melted away, the bitter pit of boring repetition is revealed.

We do have a lot of cat caretakers and lovers on the forum, so maybe a lack of response is due to their cat getting their tongue. Since I retired from cats after the death of both my 20-year-old girls, my tongue is free, and being my own boss, I have given myself permission to speak freely, however, I am trying to exercise my right to remain silent more than I once did.

Making an original well-written post with quality content takes time. So far this short post has taken me 37 minutes to get it worded to my liking and edited to make sure I get my point across in my gentle and sweet manner.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Members here are respectful of other opinions even if they disagree instead of going on a rant. That makes this forum different from some others. I respect that. I also respect the time and effort some take to write what they do even if it’s a subject I have little interest in. My posts tend to be brief since I lack keyboard skills and truthfully, I’m not talkative to begin with. I usually just get to the point.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I didn't say no effect, however. I said we're not changing the world here. I know that I have become aware of a lot of things that I might not have learned otherwise through things that people have posted here, and I hope that more than a few of us have been open-minded enough to at least consider viewpoints that have been expressed here. Even if I don't agree with it, if I can understand why someone believes whatever it is that they might believe, we've closed the gap to a point where we can at least communicate.

The ultimate goal, of course, is for every one of you to realize that I am always right in everything that I say. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Frankly, I am far too lazy to change avatars or begin devising original threads. I suppose I've had my share of creativity in this area in years past, and now love to sit back and simply react.

6. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Hurray for lazy people! I'd start a club for us but it's too much trouble.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

When I reach your age, if my health and mind are just half as sound as yours, I will become a serious slacker and make no apology for it. Concerning your avatar you look great and I love it except for the fact, there is snow on the ground and you are standing, smiling, appearing relaxed, unrushed, and tension-free in just a sweater. I would be all tight and grimaced trying to utter the words, "Snap the damn thing already!"

Lois Winters and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, we are patiently awaiting a stretch of seasonal weather, but where I live, it's March one day, June another, and January the next. Nutso weather we've been having and it won't give an inch. Not much more to do than relax and enjoy life.

9. Ken Anderson

Your message, if you have a particular message that you'd like others to accept, will be more effective if you don't obsess over it. Broaden your horizons enough to take an active interest in the things that others are interested in and they'll probably be more receptive to your message. Better yet, you might take an actual interest in other things and people, and that could make your own life more interesting.

While there are things that may be learned here, people don't come here to learn about whatever it is that you think they ought to be ingesting, thinking, or doing with their lives. You should feel free to offer your opinion, but if you're obsessive about it, you're probably wasting your time and annoying people in the process. Your message will be as effective as that of the person who is ranting about something on a sidewalk. Most people will avoid eye contact, cross to the other side of the street, call the police, or simply make fun of you and whatever it is that you're selling, whether it's a product, a religion, or an idea. That doesn't mean that your product is bad, your religion is evil, or your idea is wrong. It's the delivery that's off.

Whatever it is that you feel strongly about, that's okay, but please make an effort to develop other interests besides whatever is that obsesses you. This isn't a reprimand. Rather, it's intended to help you be more effective as an actual part of this forum community.

Speaking from observation, I suspect most people here would rather talk about things that they've done than about what someone else thinks they ought to be doing.

Oh, and also, have a very Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  10. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I suspect most people here would rather talk about things that they've done than about what someone else thinks they ought to be doing.

Than Ken guy is a pretty smart dood. I always feel I could be doing better things than what I'm doing but I don't want to hear that from others.

Merry Christmas, Ken.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Merry Christmas to you too, Dwight.

12. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think there is a world of difference between trying to 'tell' someone what they should do in certain situations
    and 'offering advice' or suggesting something that might help. Sometimes, it's not 'what' you say - but how
    you say it.

For example - Like many other people - I suffer from anxiety and depression. I live alone so don't have the
    support of a partner or other family member. I have found in the past that 'voluntary work' has helped a great
    deal in raising my spirits and improving my mindset. Feeling that I was doing something useful that I looked
    forward to doing made all the difference for me.
    However, I would never say to someone - you 'should' or 'need to do' voluntary work - it is not everyone's
    cup of tea and for some it may not be the answer or even be possible for various reasons. What
    helps one person may not help someone else.
    Sharing one's 'own' experience though could help someone else if they think 'hmm maybe I could try that'.
    It is then 'their' choice.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Reen, it's like I tell my wife, "not everyone in the world is like you or even wants to be like you". She is very considerate towards others and, many times, thinks before saying something. Somewhat very different than myself. Then again, I learned some of my "toughness" from being in the Navy and have really never lost that. Military can, and does, teach a person how to be tough, especially Army and Marines.

14. Ken Anderson

Agreed. It's in the delivery.

Reen Davis likes this.
  15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I'd come over and help you get started on that, Dwight, but the lounger is callin' my name......