Sustainable Living In A Shtf Nation

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Marie Mallery, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All the stuff about tank expiration is irrelevant if you fill them and store them in a dry location. Both the tank and the propane will last practically forever. The expiration only matters if the tank is in regular use and needs to be refilled. If tanks are stored in a wet location, the tank will deteriorate so don't do it unless it is rated for outdoor use. If you are storing propane for a SHTF scenario, you won't worry about the expiration of the tank. Same goes for "dry" drugs. Tablets and powders have been shown by the military to last for 20 years or more--far beyond their expiration--without noticeable deterioration. That cannot be said for wet drugs, such as gel caps, injectables, liquids, or inhalers. You can find the list on the web if you wish.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh then we best check ours out or better yet call them to come fill it up since its down about 2/3s now anyway. May have to pay that damn rental fee after all.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I did not know that.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The study was done at the request of the Pentagon, as they had boatloads of drugs that were expensive and expired. They wanted to know if they had to be discarded. Most had maintained their potency for many years past expiration.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Why doesn't somebody tell me what the devil SHTF stands for?

Howl

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

Just like k-rations and MREs, huh?

Did that include pharmaceuticals?

7. John Brunner

Shit
    Hit
    The
    Fan

Another one you might see is TEOTWAWKI:

The
    End
    Of'
    The
    World
    As
    We
    Know
    It

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The study I am speaking of was concerning pharmaceuticals, not meals. That is why the difference between dry drugs and wet drugs.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bibbi Wright

I will venture to say that there are many, many things new to all of us here which are every-day facts for you there in Sweden!

Frank

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner

Ha! Yes, they may be SEEN all over the place, but usually they are all HIGHER than expected!

Frank

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe this should be under medical tyranny but I went to buy some NAC--n-acetyl cysteine at iherb, then amazon; it was gone. Not being sold anymore. Turns out, the FDA has determined that it works too well so is now classified as a drug to be studied and can no longer be bought as a supplement. We used it for minor lung problems from allergies; some use it for liver...
    Bringing this back to the thread, ivermectin is skyrocketing in price, believe in it or not. Amazon has its own brand of aspirin that is a good buy. But prescription pain meds are disappearing which is frightening as some people really need them.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Most of the generic drugs are sourced in China and manufactured in India. With the backup of shipping on the west coast, many things are not arriving here. If you cannot get NAC, you could try L-Glutathione which is the metabolite of NAC

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I apologize for putting this here if it should be somewhere else but, as I said, I am limited to the threads I can post to. I have been fretting about the government control being forced upon us in most areas, not just medical. But there are people like Candace Owens and Brandon Tatum who are giving me hope. They are peeling back the lies that are being forced upon us and bringing the truth to downtrodden and trusting Democrats. And they are giving impetus to more commentators and speakers at Universities.
    The liberals are sort of starting to cave in on themselves. Parents are being called terrorists for coming to School Board meetings fighting CRT teaching is schools. And the horrors of Afghanistan has made the world doubt us and our President.
    Hope is regularly being brought forward on youtube and elsewhere by Owens and Tatum and others!

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. John Brunner

My friend who owns his own greenhouse tells me that he is starting to see supply constraints even greater than when COVID was in full swing. He's trying to get his orders in for next spring and is seeing "Unavailable" product statuses all over the place.

He also told me that Myer Seed Company (a supplier to resellers) is closing their doors, albeit not due to the current climate. They've been around since 1910, and "Myer, Jr." who is in his 70s is recovering from an operation and has received an offer he cannot refuse for the building he owns in downtown Baltimore MD. So there's another source gone, although others may fill the void.

The San Fran folks I buy sprouting seeds from say they are starting to encounter supply constraints. I just placed an order and am going to get some more dried beans to seal up. I've gone meatless before, and incorporating more of these foods into my diet would be a good thing to do regardless of the causal reasons.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The "supply issues" of the beginning of Covid were due to panic buying. Now REAL supply issues are developing, mostly due to the policies of the Biden Administration in their effort to shut down the economy so they can reshape in in their own image. I don't know where this will all lead, but I think almost everyone knows it won't be good.