Sustainable Living In A Shtf Nation

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Marie Mallery, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I hear appliances are hard to come by too so best get into action finding a chest freezer if rumors are true.

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

We do have a bow and arrow to hunt squirrel for our dog Molly. And us too hubby has eaten squirrel before. All I got from trying to shoot arrors is whelps on my arm but hubby did pretty good with it.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Anyone have alternate power source? We have some solar but our golf cart battteries are getting older now would like to get soem Lithium but they cost too much.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would think you need to have tons of arrows on hand to make up for the losses (said the guy with the low hit ratio.)

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Maybe or just make sure he has a good shot before he lets loose. No squirrel shortage here for sure, or not yet.

6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Since I live in the New Jersey area not far from New York, I wouldn't even bother to think about it. We have too many important ports that are main targets.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

You know most of us live near 'main' if we consider our neighbors if things got really bad. You here the story about Argentina after TSHTF there several years ago? My daughter read the story and turned into a prepper.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The stories that came out of Russia after thee Soviet Union fell were terrifying. That may well be what we are facing, except the U.S. was not an aggressive (military) nation. China may not be quite as placid as we were.

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I know and thats just one of the times it happened, remmeber the historu of Pol Pot,, and even worse the Bolshevics in Russia? Power has alwayd corrupted the worlds peoples.

10. John Brunner

I was thinking of buying a solar charger so I could keep my cellphone and other stuff going, but they are darned expensive.

I recall reading some prepper stuff that folks use strings of LED Christmas lights for emergency interior lighting because of the low power draw. Some folks even remove every other bulb in order to save power.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

It took us 3 years to buy what we did a little here and a little there.Plus like everything else its more costly now. We have had the T-105s in our golf cart in case but they are heavy and getting a little old now too_Ours is older now so not sure they all even work. We bought them in 2013 I think. Have them in a steel garbage can.Was thinking kids may be able to use them if we get too old or exspire.
    I'd like to get the litium batterys. But why bother?If shtf we'd just have something else to protect or be robbed of.
    I'm having a bad pain and family day so please excuse the negative.Hubby is good with things like the solar he's worked with elctricians plus the solar book for dummies if needed.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I, too, go between extremes. I want to fully prepare, then I suddenly have a broader array of things to protect. Then I get fatalistic.

I could manage the mechanics of installing solar panels (and I certainly have the space to do it), it the electronics of the charging circuitry that would be a road block. I've looked at these @$500:
    [​IMG]

And these to charge it @$300:
    [​IMG]

But that's all I've done. $800 for "just in case" for something with limited capabilities (it's not gonna run my fridge) isn't feasible.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I understand what your sating.
    Also nice little set up looks like a good deal. I like the mono panels too they are better at taking in more sun on cloudy days.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

We've got some pretty good tools from this place, not sure if its better prices or not,look up reveiws.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +1More
    THUNDERBOLT
    100 Watt Solar Panel Kit
    Write a Review

Four 25 Watt amorphous solar panels give you plenty of clean, quiet energy

$189.99

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It took me a while to figure out what Shtf means. I’m getting old I guess but this is a senior forum after all.